Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingWidenersRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Lee Precision Load Data

Thread: Got me a TC New Englander

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar

Got me a TC New Englander

Went to an out of the way pawn shop today and found a TC New Englander .50 caliber on the rack. It was pretty tired looking with some dings on the stock and some extra holes drilled and tapped presumably for a scope mount, as the rear sight was missing. The bore was surprisingly shiny with sharp rifling other than a few patches of surface rust. Can't really explain why, but I wanted it and so it came home for $75.00 total. Of course, it was still loaded from the previous owner as all used muzzleloaders are. I put a cap on the nipple, pointed it into the backyard, and it fired without a hitch. Out of curiosity, I loaded up 70 grains Triple 7 and a patched round ball and it fired that load just fine too. Repeated twice more and it fired just as sure as my inline.

So, what have I got here? What kind of twist do they have? Anyone have a rear sight assembly they could spare?
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master
    The rifle has a 1:48 twist and works well with a patched round ball and 80 grains of ffg or the same volume of Pyrodex RS or a 320 grain MaxiBall with the same charge. GF

Boolit Grand Master
    You've got a rugged workhorse there. Very solid gun. Hope it can be brought back to the fine level of ML it should be. Love those things.

Thanks folks. Currently disassembling and cleaning it. I think that, in spite of the rough appearance, it hasnt been fired much. So far all the rust I've found anywhere is just light surface rusting. The lock seems to be in really good shape and hasn't been taken apart.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

I use my TC New Englander as my 'tree stand gun. It's now wears a set of 'Fire Sights and a recoil pad. The Fire Sights are much easier to use for my 60 year old eyes, at the distances I shot deer at. The New Englander is my 'go to muzzleloader, usually 70 grains of Holy Black and a round ball, shots the Lee REAL 250 grain just fine too.
    hc18flyer

Banned

Here are the sights if they did not show up in the PM.

Attachment 232934Attachment 232935

Thanks. I believe the sight on the top and right is correct for my rifle. These fit the round barrel, correct?

Banned

Yep. Sent you another PM. They both fit the round barrel.

Ok thanks. For some reason I didn't see your reply and I asked you that question again by pm! What load does yours prefer? Ever try any subs in it?

Banned

Pyrodex. But I only shoot real black now. A lot less hassle. Mine really likes the Lee REAL conicals and the TC Maxi ball.

Sounds good, I have both 250 and 320 grain REAL molds. I have the bore soaking in WD40 right now, gonna try to get as much rust out as I can.

I've had one for years, I really enjoy it. For whatever reason I've always wanted to find another and chop the barrel to 12-14". Never found one cheap enough to do it and with the prices constantly climbing, I probably never will.
    Former cylindersmith.

A lot of pawn shops have rusty sidelocks gathering dust, that is where I found this one.

Been scrubbing the bore of the New Englander with fine steel wool and WD-40 for a few days now. Everything is nice and smooth and the rifling is still pretty sharp. There are still quite a few stains of surface rust but I doubt they are really going to cause any problems. Gonna make some smoke with it soon as the sights arrive!

Boolit Master
    If you keep your eyes open, you might find a 12 gauge barrel for it. Mine came as a shotgun.

Thanks, will do! 'Nother question: I am almost out of shooting patches, I don't know if the ones I have are .010 or .015. With .490 balls in this rifle, is one necessarily preferred over the other? Or should I just get both and see which works better?

Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    Thanks, will do! 'Nother question: I am almost out of shooting patches, I don't know if the ones I have are .010 or .015. With .490 balls in this rifle, is one necessarily preferred over the other? Or should I just get both and see which works better?
    I think that .015 patches are the ones that are the most popular and commonly used with .490 factory swagged balls.

Got a 2rd, 3rd, off, whatever hand New Englander kit gun that was noob sanded before receiving urethane.
    But other than having the corners broken it's in great shape. For a winter project I'm thinking on reshaping the already deshaped stock and deciding on whether or not to put a peep on it. Or what to might maybe do.
    The New Englander is a fine no nonsense shooting iron and as this one kinda invites indulging whimsies it could be a great place to start.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Good Cheer View Post
    Got a 2rd, 3rd, off, whatever hand New Englander kit gun that was noob sanded before receiving urethane.
    But other than having the corners broken it's in great shape. For a winter project I'm thinking on reshaping the already deshaped stock and deciding on whether or not to put a peep on it. Or what to might maybe do.
    The New Englander is a fine no nonsense shooting iron and as this one kinda invites indulging whimsies it could be a great place to start.

One thing for sure, you will have fun & learn a thing or two.

Got the rear sight and it fits perfectly, thanks Tomme Boy. I've scrubbed the bore as much as I care to for now, hopefully I can make some smoke with the rifle this weekend.