WidenersLee PrecisionInline FabricationLoad Data
Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Couple new pieces looking for some info

Couple new pieces looking for some info

I picked up today a old marlin 12ga pump open hammer with a SN in the low 66xxx curious as to what the exact model is and production year. From google image search it could either be a 1898 or a 24.

Also purchased a colt 1901 DA in 38 colt no idea on SN or markings it has to be shipped home so it stayed at the shop for now

I’ll post pictures of the shotgun when I get home and the colt in a few days

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

So I did some more digging and I think that the double action colt was made in 1899 and is a 1896 model new navy but not sure did also see that colt sells letters of authenticity of sorts including shipping info from the factory which I thought was kinda cool, but they were selling it as bumping the value of the piece. Anyone got one of these letters?

Using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Last time I checked, the Colt letters were $300. I never got one.

Ouch i was looking for that revolver at around 100-150 depending on what’s added on, but here’s another question the 38 colt/S&W brass. Who carries that brass or have most of y’all who shoot it just cut a 1/4”~ off 38 special brass? The 38 special is a few thousandths skinner than 38 colt/S&W but has same rim diameter not sure about cartridge thickness looking at my Lyman book.

Using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    the 1898 based marlins were declared "unsafe" as early as 1942. doesn't mean that i don't have 2 that i shoot.

locking bar in left side of receiver sometimes not engaging due to lifter failure, IIRC.

Boolit Master

Couple new pieces looking for some info

Going by what I read 20 years ago, I think Marlin had 3 versions of those early models. Marlin sent out a letter declaring only one version safe to shoot.

SASS outlawed them all since most people didn’t know the difference between the 3 (?). The bad ones allowed the bolt to break and launch into the shooter’s face.

Needless to say mine is a wall hanger.

They usually only bring $100 or less. Some guys at gun shows try to get more since they are “antiques”.
    Last edited by LUBEDUDE; 01-01-2019 at 08:15 AM. Reason: Sp
    TEAM HOLLYWOOD

NRA- LIFE TSRA-LIFE SASS-LIFE

Banned

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by TaylorS View Post
    Ouch i was looking for that revolver at around 100-150 depending on what’s added on, but here’s another question the 38 colt/S&W brass. Who carries that brass or have most of y’all who shoot it just cut a 1/4”~ off 38 special brass? The 38 special is a few thousandths skinner than 38 colt/S&W but has same rim diameter not sure about cartridge thickness looking at my Lyman book.

https://www.starlinebrass.com/brass-...8-SandW-Brass/ Has the brass
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

I found some marlin guys that apparently have all the archives and that shot gun is a late 1904 mfg date model 1898 all of the locks appear to be in working order so once I go through it I’ll try to make up some light shot loads see what I can do for that. Still can’t wait to get my hands on the revolver though.

Using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Most likely, your Colt is chambered for .38 Long Colt. If so, .38 S&W will not fit the cylinder. Also, the groove size of the barrel will probably be .375"ID. That means that standard .38 S&W Special (solid base) bullets will not give any accuracy at all. The cylinder is likely bored straight through (no smaller diameter throat ahead of the brass case). If so, you can use low-pressure, hollow-base, target .38 Special cartridges. Otherwise, you can find heel-base CAS .38 Long Colt cartridges. They are period accurate, but are a lot harder to find.

Harry I found some 38 S&W ammo at a garage sale this weekend and tried the chambers and it’s to tight I might could skinny them up in sizing if they won’t be to short do you have a sheet that shows 38 long colt dimensions? I’ll look on the web for it but I’d rather see a reliably published fact sheet. The bore reads about .385 in the grooves if I wasn’t over pressing it. was about to order mold and crimp die set when I looked at all of this. The 38special ammo looks like it fits the chambers better like the bullet would sit in one of my 45 colts while the S&W is way to short imo

Using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

If it is a 38LC do NOT put Special ammo in it. It is designed for a heeled boolit - just like my .41LC. Bernie Rawls at Old West Bullet Molds will fix you right up with everything you need to load it. He's good folks.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Yeah got my mould in last night from them excited to get some time in the shop to play with it. They sent a couple sheets of load and cartridge data with the mould and crimp die I ordered. dang fine shop.

Using Tapatalk