RepackboxInline FabricationLee PrecisionLoad Data
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: case head seperation

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by EDG View Post
    This is correct.
    A case head separation is really a frosted area of stretched metal.
    Shiny rings are something else.
    Just saying, that to the uninformed, a lighter shade/coloring of brass could be from something other than a case head separation.

I have had case separations and stretched cases on some 300 BO brass recently. The shiny rings on th cases aren't too dissimilar to rub rings from the ammo boxes.

Boolit Master
    I was agreeing with your previous statement.
    I have had many case head separations and incipient separation shooting .303 Lee Enfields. Carefully examined the failed metal has a color and tone contrast with the surrounding metal but they appear a little frosted when examined with magnification. Rubbing on ammo box partitions results in a bright ring that is only a cosmetic artifact.

Quote Originally Posted by BK7saum View Post
    Just saying, that to the uninformed, a lighter shade/coloring of brass could be from something other than a case head separation.

I have had case separations and stretched cases on some 300 BO brass recently. The shiny rings on th cases aren't too dissimilar to rub rings from the ammo boxes.
    EDG

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by BK7saum View Post
    Also, if you carry your ammo/cases in plastic Berrys or Midway cartridge boxes, be mindful of the ring left by the cartridge box. The vibration of the empty cases in the box (case head up) will leave a shiny ring on the side of the case and look like an incipient case head separation ring.
    I've noticed this too! MTM boxes will also make a ring on the case. Usually this ring will not be in the right location of a normal separation. Some military rifles have such sloppy chambers that a single loading will stretch the case to the point that a separation in immanent. 303 British and 8MM Mauser's are a couple of them.

I loaded for a long time before I ever had a case gauge. I would back the sizing die out and start sizing the case, tightning the die and watching the ring on the case neck move until it touches the junction of the shoulder. How much past that is personal preference but many shooters feel .002 or so is about right.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by EDG View Post
    I was agreeing with your previous statement.
    I have had many case head separations and incipient separation shooting .303 Lee Enfields. Carefully examined the failed metal has a color and tone contrast with the surrounding metal but they appear a little frosted when examined with magnification. Rubbing on ammo box partitions results in a bright ring that is only a cosmetic artifact.
    I see that now. Kind of glossed over the first part and picked up where you talked about differences between the two conditions.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12