Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLee Precision
RotoMetals2WidenersInline FabricationReloading Everything
Load Data

Thread: TC Seneca price?

Boolit Master

TC Seneca price?

Saw one locally today that looks unfired. Asking $700.00 seems high, I know the 32 and 36 bring a premium but is this a reasonable price now?

Boolit Master

Way high in my book. Around my area, 400 to 450 would be about tops. At least the last one I saw was almost new and it sold for 420.00.

Boolit Master
    Price sounds about Right in my local. Seneca's. Are gobbled up quick at any price in this neck-of-the-woods by those having deep pockets >yearning to own one.
    Me on the other-hand?
    I like the plane-Jane model. Cherokee 45. Now that littl side-lock would suit me: "jus~t fine."

Moderator Emeritus

I haven't seen one sell for under $500 for a long long time.
    Minty new? then $700 sounds about right.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master

I gotta correct myself. The one I saw sell for 420.00 was a Cherokee, not a Seneca. Senior moment. Excuse please. james

IME .45cal Seneca's change hands for about 75% of what a .32cal Seneca or .36cal Seneca would - their respective condition (as compared to new) being the same/equal.

Cherokee's bring about the same $$$ as Seneca's, because they also have the downsized (compared to a Hawken) 13/16" barrels, slimmer stocks & smaller locks.

I sold a pristine .36cal Seneca online about a year ago for $750.

IMO, a .45cal in pristine condition would bring about $500 (+/-).

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master

a long time ago I bought a seneca for around $450 new, decades later I picked up a seneca and a cherokee for $600 and then another seneca in .45 caliber for $400 wish I still had them. Lately seems that seneca's and cherokee's are going up but you can still find them sometimes for a fair price. A unfired seneca in .32 or .36 caliber would be in the $700 range with the .45 caliber you sell for $600 range.
    Beware of a government that fears its citizens having the means to protect themselves.
    NRA Patron member
    Veteran

I bought a .36 Seneca in very good condition for my wife on an online auction and was surprised to win it for what I thought was a very reasonable bid price. (With the action fees and shipping it only totaled about $450 Canadian.) Probably one of the best deals I made on a rifle all of last year ...
    I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

Boolit Buddy
    I got my mint .36 cal Seneca at an estate auction for $65.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Mine is in .45 . . . IIRC . . . I paid $350 for it a couple of years ago - Mine was in excellent condition and also has the TC tang peep sight. I figured at the time that it was worth that price and have since seen them in the $450 - $00 range - .32 & .36 being more popular. I had a GM .36 barrel so made a drop in barrel for mine so I could switch them out between .36 and .45. Nice guns . . . but still a production gun even though it is no longer made. At $700 tag . . . I'd be looking at putting a rifle together from scratch int he caliber I wanted. Maybe it's worth it but not a lot of folks are going to dump that much in to one IMHO. I think it's unfortunate that someone isn't making a decent little .32 or .36 . . . especially for tree rats and rabbits. About the only one out there is the Traditions Crockett.

Boolit Master

there's one for sale on gunbroker new in the box .45 caliber price is over $1000 and there is still 8 hours to go on it
    https://www.gunbroker.com/item/797389923
    Beware of a government that fears its citizens having the means to protect themselves.
    NRA Patron member
    Veteran

Boolit Buddy
    And at over $1000.00 it still hasn't even reached the reserve price!

Maybe it's time to think about selling my unfired 32 caliber Cherokee, lol.

Boolit Grand Master
    Too bad GM would make a run of .36 cal barrels for my T/C Hawken

Quote Originally Posted by shdwlkr View Post
    there's one for sale on gunbroker new in the box .45 caliber price is over $1000 and there is still 8 hours to go on it
    https://www.gunbroker.com/item/797389923
    Wow! That wood stock has some gorgeous figure.
    It would be awfully difficult [if not impossible] to find a factory TC stock anywhere that could match that Seneca's that is still in mint, unfired condition.
    IMO that's the main reason why the bids are so high on that gun.
    It's a one of a kind type of gun.
    Even the lock plate has super nice case colors.
    Notice that it came from the TC custom shop.
    Last edited by arcticap; 02-05-2019 at 05:12 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    I bought a nice low-mileage .45 Seneca on this forum a year ago for $300. It's a sweet little rifle.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Master
    I bought a 36 Seneca when they first came out. I got a 32 Cherokee barrel to fit a little while back. It would take a pretty good pile of cash for me to part with that package. Just a very nice little gun and thrifty with powder and shot.

swamp
    There is no problem so great, that it cannot be solved by the proper application of high explosives.

Quote Originally Posted by arcticap View Post

Wow! That wood stock has some gorgeous figure.

It would be awfully difficult [if not impossible] to find a factory TC stock anywhere that could match that Seneca's that is still in mint, unfired condition.

It's a one of a kind type of gun.

Notice that it came from the TC custom shop.

I've owned a couple of T/C Custom Shop (Fox River Outfitters) Seneca's over the years (a pristine .32 & a lightly-used .45) and a ThunderHawk inline.

All had upgraded wood and a high-polish blue.

Although the Custom Shop closed after S&W acquired T/C & moved everything from New Hampshire to Mass, before the closure they offered upgraded barrels & wood for all T/C firearms (TCR-83/87, Contenders, Thunderhawk, Scout, etc) and many non-factory chamberings (like .32-40) for the metallic cartridge T/C's.

In the day, I ordered a .375 Winchester Super 14 barrel with the T/C Muzzle Tamer recoil brake for my Contender from Fox River at what I thought a reasonable price at the time.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

There's a very nice and clean .45 Seneca on Gunbroker for $300, only 1 bid so far. --->>> https://www.gunbroker.com/item/799488166

The .45 Seneca in my post above was sold to someone who clicked on the "buy it now" button for $395.