RepackboxGraf & SonsInline FabricationRotoMetals2
WidenersStainLess Steel Media

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Skinning knife

Boolit Master
    Yeah, well once you scald the carcass to help when scraping the hair then skinning it isn't that hard on a pig, BUT most folks don't try to save pig hide either. Heck alot of older folks I knew didn't skin it AT ALL when butcherin' a pig. Once you scrapped the scalded hide that was it. Butcher the hog, and go about your business. BTW The standard 7" Old Hickory knife is a good one for butchering hogs.

Oh and folks who keep saying "I don't like points on my skinning blades". One, huh? I used a schrade sharp finger for years on hides I wanted to keep, and it dang sure has a point on it. Most hides are HECK to get started without one. And two, when using an American Butcher pattern knife like the 7" old hickory you flip the blade over after the initial cut so that the spine of the blade rides the meat under the hide, and the cutting edge is "up". That's why I never understood "gut hooks" on blades because you could already "zipper" the hide without one. Now if what you are worried about is poking a hole in the hide with the point, then I suggest you reevaluate how you are handling the knife itself. Besides the fact that you peel 99% of hides off after the initial cuts (you peel without assistance of a blade) if you are having a particularly difficult time with the hide then the cuts you should be using to separate meat from a hide are a draw cut, not a cut shoving forward. With a draw cut it is difficult to poke a hole unless you are just trying to do it, because all of the cutting is done with the curve and belly of the blade, NOT the point.

Anyway, I dunno, your milage may vary. Your technique may vary. Heck I may be misunderstanding the problem...

But you want a non-chinese blade for butchering hog, and you want it to hold an edge, AND you want it under $20-25 then a Old Hickory 7" butcher, or a Russel Green River 7" pattern butcher (that you put handles on yourself) are going to be hard to beat.

my 2 cents...

God Bless...

GoodOlBoy
    Yes I can be long winded. Yes I follow rabbit trails. Yes I admit when I am wrong. Your mileage may vary.

Keep your powder dry. Watch yer Top knot.

"Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!"

Yes there were "Short" 45 Colts! http://www.leverguns.com/articles/taylor/45_short_colt.htm

Boolit Buddy

I have used a lot of knives. I still have way to many. I have come to love the havalon type replaceable blades., stay off bones and they last a while. Im using the weibe skinner daily. Nice big handle reduces fatigue

Boolit Grand Master

for 14 bucks im skeptical but ordered one. A carbon steal hunting knife for 14 bucks is about unheard of.
    Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    https://www.amazon.com/Morakniv-Comp...rds=mora+knife

We have a couple of them +1 on the quality and sharpness
    Soldier of God, sixgun junky, Retired electrical lineman. My office was a 100 feet in the air, closer to God the better

Boolit Grand Master

I skin a lot of deer. ALOT. To be honest I could care less if I cut the hide. they go in the trash anyway. I like a pointed blade. It allows me to get in tighter places and allows me to punch holes in the hide to use as finger holds to pull the hide off. The #1 prerequisite for me is it has to be SHARP. By the end of the crop damage season my hands look like a grenade went off near by. 99 percent of those cuts came from me getting lazy and not touching up the edge on my knife every couple minutes. A dull knife will cut you much more often then a sharp one be it rounded or pointy. Its why I don't have much use for a stainless knife. They may be fine in the field when a guy has to gut 3 or 4 deer because they do hold an edge a bit better then carbon steel. But they are harder to sharpen and harder to keep sharp and what that causes (at least for me) is I tend to try to use them to long without touching up the blade.
    Last edited by Lloyd Smale; 01-05-2019 at 07:27 AM.
    Soldier of God, sixgun junky, Retired electrical lineman. My office was a 100 feet in the air, closer to God the better

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    for 14 bucks im skeptical but ordered one. A carbon steal hunting knife for 14 bucks is about unheard of.
    I think you will be surprised, Lloyd. Let us know.
    Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.

Bastiat

Non nobis Domine,
    non nobis,
    sed nomini tuo da gloriam

Crux Sacra Sit Mihi Lux

Tu Ne Cede Malis

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    they are fantastic knives. Just make sure to use coconut oil on them after you use them so they don't rust. Or put a patina on them to force it to make it look a 100 years old. Mustard works well. Anything acidic. You just want to darken the blade.

My new favorite is this one in 140 length. These things are built like a tank. I have both the SS and the carbon.

https://www.varusteleka.com/en/produ...on-steel/56524

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	101_0482_zpsa50q8fxe.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	67.6 KB 
ID:	233425

I have the thicker blade version of that knife . Very sharp outa the box and stays sharp for quite a while easy to touch up too . For the money it's a heck of a tool .
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Boolit Grand Master

if you don't care about looks (which I don't) deer blood left on a bit does the same. My main gutting knife is an old marbles and the blades about black on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by tomme boy View Post
    they are fantastic knives. Just make sure to use coconut oil on them after you use them so they don't rust. Or put a patina on them to force it to make it look a 100 years old. Mustard works well. Anything acidic. You just want to darken the blade.

My new favorite is this one in 140 length. These things are built like a tank. I have both the SS and the carbon.

https://www.varusteleka.com/en/produ...on-steel/56524

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	101_0482_zpsa50q8fxe.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	67.6 KB 
ID:	233425

Boolit Buddy
    I see National Knives has the Mora 511 carbon steel on sale for $6. If you need a small knife it cant be beat for the price point.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by snowwolfe View Post
    Try the Mora. I did about 6 deer with a Mora including skinning and boning. All I did was to hit the knife with the steel occasionally. Never had to resharpen one yet.
    I just ordered a pair of the Mora knives off of Amazon. $9.99 and free shipping.

I had a skinner made to my pattern before the custom knife craze started. I wanted no point and knife is about
    4" long and 3" wide. Actual cutting edge comes back over the top half way. I have never used it on wild hogs but
    have relieved several domestic hogs of their hides with it. I had to be in on a lot of scald & scrape when I was a
    kid and now just skin them. Deer hunting I carry a Canadian Trapper which does come to a point but not like a
    Bowie type. This is the only knife I skinned a wild hog with and it got me by. If I had to do it over again I believe I would go with a professional skinner with a carbon steel blade like Old Hickory. I have skinned a lot of steers
    with them or similar makes.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by bob208 View Post
    I have a old hickory skinner works great cost $12.00 when I bought it new. you can not beat old hickory most butcher shops around here use them.
    Ed Zachary. Usually around $10-15. Smoky Mountain Knife Works or Knifecenter will have a goodly assortment

Boolit Mold
    Drop point bark river.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123