WidenersRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Load Data RotoMetals2

Thread: Raccoon removal

Boolit Master

Raccoon removal

Wife told me early summer that she saw a mouse in her room so I said I'd put out some traps. No she says it's so cute. Told her they would just multiply and become a problem but I left it alone. A couple weeks back I began to see they needed to be removed so I set traps. Tried the baited live traps for her pleasure but nothing so I used the usual mouse trap with some cheese. Got 4 in a week and no more yet.

But I started hearing movement in the wall behind the shower...seemed to much for such a small animal so I thought squirrel size maybe. A couple nights ago I hear the dog barking (inside dog) and noise in the bathroom. Oh **** on the floor was insulation and looking up there was a tile missing from the corner. Looking closer I see the young raccoon, it just looked at me and we exchanged stares a bit.

So I've patched the hole to stop the mess and now the raccoon seems to have company...I work at night and the wife says she heard growling and noise like fighting. Ceiling tiles in the kitchen are now sagging and I just finished pulling one back and setting up the trap where the animal hopefully can move easily into it. Using an apple laced to the trip pan with a pierced top can of tuna beyond the pan.

We had a pet raccoon about 20 years ago, raised it from a baby. He was my wife's pet. Being from Thailand she tolerates everything including snakes. She brought home a bat a few years ago and it disappeared in the house....maybe the cat got lucky.
    Most of the tanks are gone and the windows don't rattle anymore. I won't be able to sleep now.

Call Billy the Exterminater.

BB

Boolit Master
    Buy a Duke trap and bait it with mini marshmallows.
    East Tennessee

Boolit Master
    I use a live trap baited with a piece of paper towel soaked in bacon grease.

Boolit Master

I had a problem with Coons a few years But not inside the house there were going in my Trashcans used the live Traps but had one go nuts
    dam thing came at me when I was letting it go so that was the last one to be relocated I ended up with 17 of them that summer
    a CB 22 mine mag short works just fine nice and quite
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Grand Master

Red face

Live trap with a can of sardines or tuna fish. If they won't enter bait with hard dog food in a trail leading up to it and cover the live trap with a blanket to make it look like a den.

330 Conibear will work but your dog might not like it.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Grand Master

Put the trap near the exhaust for your car, cover with a blanket and idle the car. It will put the coon to sleep. Works great for skunks and they won't spray, either.

Boolit Master
    A year ago I bought a Havahart no. 1079 trap. So far it's saved a lot of cat food (4 possums) and cat fights (2 feral cats). If you need to trap possums, a raw egg is good bait - I didn't believe it either until I caught a couple of possums baiting with eggs. I was told to try eggs because I needed something that wouldn't draw our own cats into the trap.
    Last edited by higgins; 12-30-2018 at 12:40 PM.

Boolit Master
    I have had a double door Havahart for some time. Over the years I have removed several opossums, more than a dozen raccoons and 6 or more groundhogs. Let the neighbors use it as well.

So far the critter(s) are ignoring the trap and don't seem to be coming down into the house but that won't be long, they are getting hungry I'd suppose and sooner or later they will. I've had the trap up high close to the broken tile area where they can see it...I will use the trail of food and cover it as well. This could be bad soon. The landlord has been alerted and later today if no luck I'm calling him back.
    Most of the tanks are gone and the windows don't rattle anymore. I won't be able to sleep now.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by higgins View Post
    A year ago I bought a Havahart no. 1079 trap. So far it's saved a lot of cat food (4 possums) and cat fights (2 feral cats.
    Awww, possums do good work eating tricks, the least you could do is give 'em a handful or two of feed. The feral cats no one should miss.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
    Awww, possums do good work eating tricks, the least you could do is give 'em a handful or two of feed. The feral cats no one should miss.
    If a feral pet goes missing, the police really like to get involved. Homeless person goes missing, not so much attention. But get caught with a dead cat that wasn't yours,,, well its serious criminal offense.

animal cruelty can be a 6 month misdeamonor, plus fines. In some instances putting your own pet down at home in its own bed is a criminal offense.

raccoons are nasty nasty things. far too many diseases, and the young ones are just nasty as can be.

Since my LAST post was arbitrarily removed from this thread, you need a new house. The amount of damage they are doing in such a short time speaks of major structural damage being done.

Boolit Master
    Since my LAST post
    Your last post was removed because I added you to my ignore list, now changed that. You have no idea what these critters are about. The suggestion that I burn my house setting fire to every mattress and room is just juvenile thinking and in my opinion shows your true character.

As far as structural damage, your kidding me right? They are not beavers.

Real help is truly appreciated.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by daengmei View Post
    Your last post was removed because I added you to my ignore list, now changed that. You have no idea what these critters are about. The suggestion that I burn my house setting fire to every mattress and room is just juvenile thinking and in my opinion shows your true character.

As far as structural damage, your kidding me right? They are not beavers.

Real help is truly appreciated.
    raccoons do nothing but poop and pee. put in at least 5 known diseases that live in their poop and pee, some for 3-4 years. There is structural damage.
    Just having a window get blown in during a storm, and say a half cup of water on the carpet qualifies as structural damage to an insurance auditor. So a family of raccoons using the attic as a bathroom for months is structural damage.

Boolit Grand Master

If a feral pet goes missing, the police really like to get involved. Homeless person goes missing, not so much attention. But get caught with a dead cat that wasn't yours,,, well its serious criminal offense.

No such thing as a "feral pet". Feral cats are a bane that should be eradicated and no state I'm aware of will prosecute someone for shooting one. Maybe Cali but none other.

Boolit Master

Many states and municipalities will prosecute shooting feral animals.
    I give loading advice based on my actual results in factory rifles with standard chambers, twist rates and basic accurizing.
    My goals for using cast boolits are lots of good, cheap, and reasonably accurate shooting, while avoiding overly tedious loading processes.
    The BHN Deformation Formula, and why I don't use it.
    How to find and fix sizing die eccentricity problems.
    Do you trust your casting thermometer?
    A few musings.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by HangFireW8 View Post
    Many states and municipalities will prosecute shooting feral animals.
    My understanding is that the discussion was with the animals causing home damage not just running around gunning down strays or feral.

Banned
    I had a coworker get hit with animal cruelty charges for putting his daughters cat out of its misery at home in the back yard with a pellet rifle. Saved the animal lots of misery by letting it die at home, in its own back yard. Saved 180$ vet fee, but ended up paying a 300$ fine.

Get it out..... my mom had two last year and the can do damage. One tore up screen door trying to get in. ..

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk