Inline FabricationReloading EverythingRepackboxLoad Data
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionWidenersTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Using Lyman 55 powder measure with Accurate #2 powder in 38 Spec.

Boolit Buddy

Using Lyman 55 powder measure with Accurate #2 powder in 38 Spec.

Had one or two loud (either over loaded or detonations) in every 50 rds. or so. Bullert is Lee 356 120 gr. TC over 4.2 gr. O.L. is 1.492 Acc. #2 in 38 spec cases.O.L. is alittle long because of short light bullet and TC style. Could the powder be bridging in my Lyman 55 measure while I am using the top slide adjustment only?? Or while cleaning drop tube, slides and inside of measure I reassembled lubing with motor mica and noticed excessive end play on whole drum assembly. Is there a washer or something used to take up the wear factor. The powder charges when weighed always seem to be within .10 th of gr. However when charging 50 cases unless pressure is kept on handle pushing it to the right I could also see the powder charge not being the same. Any one have any ideas. I have around 500 plus loaded rounds to break down too. afish4570

Boolit Grand Master

How much end play is there? Check the washer on the left side and that the screw is tight. The washer should be flat sometimes flopping it will help. There are ways to fix this and its not to hard to do, One is to lightly dome the washer so its cupped. Another is o remove some material from the brass bushing / liners end to fit. You can measure the play under the washer with a set of feeler gages. insert between plate and frame until one is snug.

Does you measure have 2 or 3 slides. For most charges I use the second slide ( the one under the thin brass slide) to get close then the top slide for the last few tenths. Mine is the 3 slide model. Mine mostly sees Black Powder.

Banned
    That's why I'm selling all of mine.

Boolit Master
    I have several No 55 powder measures.None of them have end play.The first one i bought in the 50's and is still tight and accurate.Removing the end play in yours would be a simple matter.Is the casting for the rotor handle tight on the drum?I believe it's permanently pinned on.I can't check one of mine since I'm not at home.

I have 10 Lyman 55 measures that span the production life from 1946 until the end of the Lyman ownership of the company. I keep each one set for a specific handgun charge and they throw very, very depedable and reliable charge weights.

Using a stock measure, the trick is the uniform use of the knocker every throw. However there is a way around that. A few years ago, I bought a powder weight on Ebay. They are still listed and cost less than 30 bucks. I have one and move it from measure to measure. This weight puts even and steady light pressure on the powder column no matter the height. Just make certain to set the charge weight with the powder measure weight in place.Works for me!

None of my measures have any lateral play in the rotor system, which is held tightly against the inside of the casting by the large washer and screw on the left side. You problem, most likely will be found there. Also make certain the bottom screw that handle that bears on the rotor is firm against the rotor. Finger tight is all that is needed, but a little extra with a small pliar will do no harm.

The measure can be a PITA if they are adjusted for many charges and powder weights. That is why I keep my set, as I don't want to fiddle around with doing that.

For a readily adjustable measure, I use an old Hollywood Micrometer measure. The RCBS Little Dandy is also a very useful tool and I have a power weight for mine as well.

As a dry lubricant I have found Motor Mica to be quite lacking. Microfine powdered graphite is far superior.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails powder measure weight (480x640).jpg  
    Last edited by Char-Gar; 12-29-2018 at 05:18 PM.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Bub

Check the drop tube. If it is a after market or another manufacturers tube they can restrict powder flow or cause a shelf/flat edge on the interior top edge that can hold powder. Lyman tubes have a long interior taper.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I noticed the newer models have small plate at the bottom to direct the powder to the center. Don’t know if it is really needed, but they sell just that part. I don’t think that’s your problem because mine has always worked well without one.

The small drop tubes are an abomination. I never would use one. If the case neck was small, I stuck a power funnel in it and use the large drop tube.

I even went further and took a small drop tube, chucked it up in a lathe and opened it up with a drill bit in the tail stock. I don't remember the drill size, but it is larger than the hole in a large drop tube. I then took a Cratex rod in the Dremel and polished out any roughtness, tool marks and shelves. After a cleaning with alcohol it went back in service. No power catches in that dude.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master
    Not familiar with Accurate #2 but have never had issues with my Lyman 55's. If you are using the larger drop tube not sure how powder could bridge. The small tube I agree is a PITA. But that problem is not unique to the No 55. Have had bridging with stick powders and the small drop tube in my RCBS measure. Also use the funnel trick when loading small cases with stick powders.

Boolit Master

Accurate no. 2 is like dust, so it is doubtful that bridging is a culprit.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 6.5 CM View Post
    That's why I'm selling all of mine.
    How much you askin'?

Boolit Master
    I have 10 Lyman 55 measures that span the production life from 1946 until the end of the Lyman ownership of the company. I keep each one set for a specific handgun charge and they throw very, very depedable and reliable charge weights.
    I am of this camp. I literally can check my scale with drops from them. I have several that I don't touch as they are dialed in for each application, and one that I use for various miscellaneous loads. Love my 55's

Quote Originally Posted by Taterhead View Post
    Accurate no. 2 is like dust, so it is doubtful that bridging is a culprit.
    Agreed. #2 is a Very fine grind.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by afish4570 View Post
    Had one or two loud (either over loaded or detonations) in every 50 rds. or so. Bullert is Lee 356 120 gr. TC over 4.2 gr. O.L. is 1.492 Acc. #2 in 38 spec cases.O.L. is alittle long because of short light bullet and TC style. Could the powder be bridging in my Lyman 55 measure while I am using the top slide adjustment only?? Or while cleaning drop tube, slides and inside of measure I reassembled lubing with motor mica and noticed excessive end play on whole drum assembly. Is there a washer or something used to take up the wear factor. The powder charges when weighed always seem to be within .10 th of gr. However when charging 50 cases unless pressure is kept on handle pushing it to the right I could also see the powder charge not being the same. Any one have any ideas. I have around 500 plus loaded rounds to break down too. afish4570
    Looked at Lyman website and no listing for parts on there equipment. Current product list doesn't show the 55 measure anymore but lists a new model (looks like the Chinese companies product that has a poor quality rating). My 55 has a threaded powder reservoir (old orange model) and my gray 55 doesn't unscrew or show any set screws holding it in place. The outside diameter of both "plastic tubes" appear to be the same diameter. Lyman doesn't list a parts site and the current product list looks like the 55 measure is out of production. My old orange 55 works ok after I shimmed the wear up o
    under the washer. The orange model has a threaded powder measure and my gray one doesn't unscrew and has no set screws holding it in place. The diameter appears to be the same any recent attempts to obtain the "plastic tubes"????afish4570

Boolit Master
    Used mine since 82 never had a problem with any powder ,it crunches a bit with the big flakes but still throws accurately.

Boolit Master
    all I have ever used are lyman 55's no problem at all. I use the drop tube and have them mounted on a rcbs stand. turn handle up flip the knocker hold shell under turn handle down flip knocker. a little trick I use to keep from double charging. empty cases primer up charged case open end up. when block is full take a flash light and look in the cases to see if any are higher or lower.

Boolit Master
    Lyman has a separate website for repair parts.A google search should bring it up.Repair parts are still listed for the 55 powder measure.A standard length plastic reservoir is $6.62.It is the current snap in type.If you need the threaded type the snap in type can be threaded on a lathe or you can use the black powder reservoir.It is aluminum and is threaded.

Boolit Master

I dont know your loading procedure but I would find a way to visually inspect the powder level in the case prior to seating the boolit. If you have a heavy load you have to have a light load if the powder is bridging. The different levels ought to be noticeable.
    Next throw and weigh several charges to see if you can detect powder variation. You say 1 or 2 rounds per fifty should not be hard to find.
    I would also strain my powder through a screen. I ran into a problem and had a hot load. There was some small pieces of the seal of the powder jug that got into the powder. It would pass through the powder measure but stuck in the powder funnel of a progressive press. It done the same thing as bridging powder.
    The seal in the lid was being cut by the lip of the jug when the lid was tightened. Small pieces of the seal about 1/16" wide was getting into the powder. Admittingly I was reusing a 1 pound jug. I bought a 8 lb. jug and poured into the 1 pound as needed. So the 1 pound jug was older than normal.