Load DataPBcastcoMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
WidenersInline FabricationTitan ReloadingRepackbox
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How do you manage?

Boolit Master
    Really it is no big deal.
    The pristine rifles are not affordable by most of us any longer.
    The bubbafied rifles bring a lot less money thanks to changing times.
    I can still find a bubba special with a good bore cheap now and then.
    I can't afford everything I see. Just like new cars I don't sweat it one bit. That some Marine chopped up a rare Arisaka does not bother me. Think about how many men died because of that war.
    EDG

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by crankycalico View Post
    Some of the best engineering and manufacturing went into these military rifles. They may not seem like much today, but when you have that enfield, springfiend, nagant, mauser in hand you have something.
    AMEN and AMEN!
    So many guns, so little time

You must pay for everything in this life - nothing is free, except for the grace of God.

"Free cheese only comes in a mousetrap"

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mac60 View Post
    AMEN and AMEN!
    When they new they needed .35 inches of steel around the cartridge case they had the idea of ROUNDING up to .40. "that way we KNOW itll hold".

As a result a rifle like the HEX receiver Mosin Nagant rifle has been able to take excessive abuse. Example in the 1990s someone imported and sold FACTORY PROOFING AMMO as standard issue ammo. There are rifles that survived firing an entire spam can of Factory Proof Loads.

DO you think your Kimber, Savage, T/C, etc made in the modern era of "minimal dimensions" could do something like that?

A curse brought to us by 3D CAD and Finite Element Analysis software.

In the 1950s one of the big name gunsmiths (Parker Ackley??) decided to find out how strong the commonly used military actions were. He blew up a number of them with big loads of pistol powders. I remember from the article that the two that did best were the 1917 Enfield (runner-up). The winner was the old high grade Arisaka. I don't think he ever tested the Mosin Nagant.
    Last edited by uscra112; 01-18-2019 at 04:42 AM.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    There are still superior mil surplus for sale. Not all the same quality, even when they were first made. If you want a good shooter, first make sure the rifle was known to be of good quality and accuracy from the beginning. Then verify the current condition. Find the rifle you want and start looking for one. It could take a while to find one in your price range.

The internet is the most efficient and where you might find what you are looking for. Be prepared to pay around a thousand bucks today for one that was once in the back of The American Rifleman for $18. I believe these old rifles are often a better deal than a Remlin today.

The best deal is getting what you want in the condition you want it. Of course you will have to be content with iron sights, unless you want to buy an original sniper rifle, but then the price really goes up.

There is no way this 1898 Krag will ever be a milsurp again- that ship has sailed long ago. However, I will combine the parts shown into my very own Krag sporting rifle!
    Projects! Gotta love them.
    TbG

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    if they are hacked up I walk away. I did want a good 06 with a scope. so rather then hacking up one of my collection. I paid $200 for a 03a3 that was drilled and tapped.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by bob208 View Post
    if they are hacked up I walk away. I did want a good 06 with a scope. so rather then hacking up one of my collection. I paid $200 for a 03a3 that was drilled and tapped.
    I hope the front sight base rear screw hole wasn't drilled into the upper receiver locking lug :-0! 90-95% of the Springfields I see that have been sporterized have been done so.
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Master
    no it was done right.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by bob208 View Post
    no it was done right.
    Great. I've seen many pictures posted here of Springfields and a few mausers screwed up, figured were done with a BSquare drilling fixture, they didn't read the directions
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Master

Alturas, California...where the west still lives!
    A co worker mentioned that his Dad had brought back two "old rifles" after WWII, so I went to see them. They were both VZ24's, one unmolested with the original sling and one with a sporter stock, scope, and jeweled bolt with a custom bolt handle. On examining both guns, I discovered to my horror that when the sporter was built the bolts were switched! Each bolt was numbered to the other gun. Since the sporter bolt had been customized, I bought the original........and whined about it. But not too loud as he only asked $125.

You should have bought both of them. VZ24 is as good as it gets even dressed to hunt

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Unless the gun is a work of art (German guild rifle), or is dirt cheap, I will not touch a sporterized milsurp. The majority of the value in those guns is the history, and once that's gone, there's honestly not a whole lot left. You can pretty them up as much as you want, but that modern $300 budget bolt action is still going to shoot circles around it.

Now if they are cheap, I'd buy them as a starting point for a custom build.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123