WidenersReloading EverythingLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Snyders JerkyLoad DataRepackboxTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Another Wet Tumbling Question

Boolit Buddy
    Just tumbled my second batch of brass with stainless pins. The first batch I used 1 gal water , Dawn and a squirt of real lemon juice. Didnt have any Lemishine. Brass came out good but not as sparkling as everyone who post pics here. I didnt care and was very satisfied with how clean they were. But this time I put 2 capfuls of lemon juice in the water and Dawn. (just the Real lemon juice in the bottle) Tumbled for a little less than 3 hrs and I was stunned how they came out. They looked like new.

Boolit Master
    What my experience has shown:

1. any steel cases in the mix will cause everything to be coated in brown crud (i.e. rust).
    On a related note, some people have used non-stainless (i.e. zinc plated carbon steel) screws/nuts/bolts/washers in their home made tumbler vessels
    (to attach the internal agitator blades to the inside of the vessel) and you get the same situation: the carbon steel rusts in the acidic water and
    the rust coats all your brass.

2. too much lemishine/citric-acid will dull the brass. less is more. try just one 9mm case full. you will be surprised.

3. letting the brass sit in the mix after the tumbling is done will also dull the brass.
    a few minutes is OK. hours or days will dull it.

4. cold water rinse keep brass brighter than tepid/room temp rinse water.

5. fill vessel 100% with water. no air space. brass sitting in air will dull it.

6. amour all wash and wax prevents/reduces how much brass will dull/tarnish in storage after they tumbled.
    no AAW&W and they will tarnish in a few months.

7. any other soap added to the mix (i.e. dawn, laundry det., etc.) will counteract the AAW&W.

8. ziplock bag them to keep them bright in storage.

Banned
    I use a touch of lemishine with some car wash/wax combo. I bought the Armor All kind but I see now that they have it at Dollar Tree, (where everything in the store is ...yup you guessed it...a Dollar) So if I ever need any more it will be Dollar Tree.

Boolit Master
    But don't you want that special carnauba wax shine?

I also have had dull brass from sitting in the tumbler too long, and I think also from steel cases, though not 100% sure on the latter.

Boolit Grand Master

I have about determined that the few times my cases came out dull was because they stayed in the drum too long after it shut off. I agree, too much LemiShine will work against you. I use a 9mm case full in a 15# drum.

And not that it makes much difference, I have noticed that Walmart is not the cheapest place to buy ArmorAll Wash and Wax. I ran out one day and not living near a Walmart store bought some at the local parts store for about the same price. That surprised me! A little later I noticed that Tractor Supply was a dollar cheaper than that.

I've been tumbling brass all week. Some days up to 4 loads. So I've played around with a few things. I doesn't seem to make much difference if I start tumbling with hot or cold water or rinsing with hot or cold water. I'm also seeing no difference if I completely fill the drum or not. In the past I've loaded the drum and covered the brass with a few inches of water. This works ok.

Oh yeah, did I say I'm about tired of tumbling? I've tumbled enough that I got the grease gun out and gave the bearings a pump or two.
    Last edited by lightman; 01-05-2019 at 12:27 PM.

I don't do anything much different than most here. Lemi shine, hot water, Armor All car wash. Unit filled to within a couple inches of top with water etc; but, I never tumble longer than an hour and a half. Clean, shiny, no issues. If I "find" some brass that's really dull and black that's been on the ground for a couple years maybe tumble a bit longer. But I don't usually pick those up except to "experiment" with. Brass is cheap.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 1bluehorse View Post
    I don't do anything much different than most here. Lemi shine, hot water, Armor All car wash. Unit filled to within a couple inches of top with water etc; but, I never tumble longer than an hour and a half. Clean, shiny, no issues. If I "find" some brass that's really dull and black that's been on the ground for a couple years maybe tumble a bit longer. But I don't usually pick those up except to "experiment" with. Brass is cheap.
    The tumbler itself may determine how long they have to be tumbled. When I was experimenting with building one, the speed of rotation and the amount and size of the "fins" inside made a big difference in how long it took. But now that it is all done, I agree...an hour and a half is plenty long to run them. If I do have a couple of off colored ones, I can do them again in the next batch.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Traffer View Post
    The tumbler itself may determine how long they have to be tumbled. When I was experimenting with building one, the speed of rotation and the amount and size of the "fins" inside made a big difference in how long it took. But now that it is all done, I agree...an hour and a half is plenty long to run them. If I do have a couple of off colored ones, I can do them again in the next batch.
    Good point
    I have noticed the raised rings on either end of my Frankford rotary container/drum tends to trap brass that just rides around and is not "tumbling".
    Those raised rings are what contacts the drive rollers to turn the drum and the brass "ride-around" is more when the drum is less than full.
    jmo

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Traffer View Post
    I use a touch of lemishine with some car wash/wax combo. I bought the Armor All kind but I see now that they have it at Dollar Tree, (where everything in the store is ...yup you guessed it...a Dollar) So if I ever need any more it will be Dollar Tree.
    cheaper isn't always better, would you go to dollar tree to buy a gun?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Conditor22 View Post
    cheaper isn't always better, would you go to dollar tree to buy a gun?
    Oh How I wish they could sell them!!!!!
    I would certainly go to Dollar Tree for all my gun needs. Can you imagine? Stuff would be so much less expensive. Prolly a lb of good pistol powder for $4 or $5. A good rifle for $25 A thousand primers for $8.
    YES I WOULD GET MY GUNS THERE.

Boolit Buddy
    I must be blessed, I use hot water, 1/4 tsp Lemi Shine and about 2" squirt of dawn and have never gotten anything but bright shiny brass.

Boolit Man
    I did up my media count to a 1:1 ratio with brass, about 15 pounds of each, completely fill with cold water, which is less than 2 gallons, this seems to be the best mix so far.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by C-dubb View Post
    I must be blessed, I use hot water, 1/4 tsp Lemi Shine and about 2" squirt of dawn and have never gotten anything but bright shiny brass.
    I also use hot water when tumbling and rinse with cold. It comes out of the tap at 140 degrees has always worked better than cold water. Our water is pretty hard so need extra Lemon Shine.

Boolit Master
    I seem to use more lemi Shine than most do 1 1/2 tsp and a shot of Blue Coral car wax/wash in my model B tumbler, but I have really hard water and find some really dirty brass.

OK: confession is good for the soul. My old stand-by of 6-1 water & lemon juice + a "squirt" of Dawn has officially been replaced.

Response #14 by Walter Laich tells us all we need to know........it works like a charm with cold water (even cold water from our well).

Thanks Mr. Laich.

Henry

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12