WidenersLee PrecisionRepackboxInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2Load DataReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Red Dot

Blue dot dose well with a 158gr cast in 9mm I have one that on the right day can break 1100fps in my Ruger p89 5”

Boolit Bub
    I shoot 12 grains of Red Dot, 274 grain RCBS Boolit in my .375 H&H. Groups 1.5 inches @ 100 Yds. Its fun to shoot, good load for a Blacktail Bambi. Why are we talking about Blue Dot??

Quote Originally Posted by crankycalico View Post
    Would balistol be useful, or is eds red a simpler nicer on the nose concoction?
    Ed's Red isn't all that pleasant on the nose....it has both Mineral Spirits and Acetone in it. I just use it because I make a gallon at a time. It works great for everything from lead removal (get's under it)...to plastic removal for shotguns. It's cheap enough to make that you can soak parts in a large enough quantity so you can put it in a coffee can and let stuff soak. (most commercial products are in 8 oz bottles or smaller)

Anyway....if you mix the ATF and Kerosene first 50/50 it makes an excellent gun oil....then add the additional equal parts of Mineral Spirits and Acetone. I generally buy 1 quart bottles of each and mix in an old 1 gallon metal paint thinner can. You can also add a few ounces of Anhydrous Lanolin...but I don't bother.

But....any gun cleaner will work...Balistol is just fine.

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Red Dot is a keeper. I've used it in .38 Special, .45ACP, 44-40, 25-06, 30-30, 38-55, and 8x57 with boolits and it excels. It's not dirty enough to bother me.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Red Dot is a keeper. I've used it in .38 Special, .45ACP, 44-40, 25-06, 30-30, 38-55, and 8x57 with boolits and it excels. It's not dirty enough to bother me.
    Funny thing about Red Dot, when I first started reloading metallic, I started with 45ACP and all I had on hand that was suitable was an old can of Red Dot that was awful. I had a lot of good cans of Red Dot, but this one left tons of unburnt powder in my 12 ga trap loads. (This would be the old formulation wood based Red Dot.)

So I loaded it anyway, and it burned fine and clean in 45ACP. Probably the different in pressure, ~12K PSI for 12ga and almost 20K for 45.

It doesn't meter great in 45 ACP quantities, so I moved on from there, but it still works great in my '06 and 8mm loads.
    I give loading advice based on my actual results in factory rifles with standard chambers, twist rates and basic accurizing.
    My goals for using cast boolits are lots of good, cheap, and reasonably accurate shooting, while avoiding overly tedious loading processes.
    The BHN Deformation Formula, and why I don't use it.
    How to find and fix sizing die eccentricity problems.
    Do you trust your casting thermometer?
    A few musings.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Yes, one very versatile powder as well as Unique. BTW, my minimum stock level of RD/Promo is 4 jugs. If the ****, RD will work with the 12 ga, all my pistol calibers, and all my rifle calibers.
    Don Verna

Boolit Buddy
    I would try a different lube or maybe a coated bullet and see what happens. Not sure what your using but I use 50/50 lube when shooting traditionally lubed bullets and it is pretty messy. It seems to work well and clean up easily enough so I still use it but when I shoot the same load with powder coated bullets I swear things are cleaner than shooting jacketed.

Banned
    its what ever Oregon trail uses. some sort of hard lube in the grooves with a somewhat thin greasy black stuff that comes off on my fingers.

im thinking of thinning down some Johnson paste wax and giving some a wash.

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    bought 8 pounds to try in my shotgun because it is more economical . have used it in every pistol i have and have yet to try it in shotgun go figure. doesn't seem to be overly dirty but i normally use unique so may not know if it were dirty.

Boolit Buddy
    Don’t forget Promo. Same powder as red dot, different density, so watch your weight. Less cost.

Never fire Red Dot but I'm up to my elbows in Promo. It works fine for me in 38, 44, 45 Colt & ACP. I use it in my 30-30 & 30-06 also. Even put a dab in the little 380.

Boolit Buddy

I have and continue to use it in .45acp, .45AR, .44SPL and (improbably) .32 acp. Some dirt sure, but I have not noted it to be especially dirty.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12