Inline FabricationRepackboxReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyWideners
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Red Dot

Banned

Red Dot

Is it normal for red dot to be really really dirty?

Its all ive been using, just started rifle loading and its the first powder Ive tried.

Been using 10 grains in .308 and 8x57. Minimum charge and all.

Cases come out CLEAN. no soot on the neck. getting good accuracy too.

The rifling is immaculately clean, its just that as far as I can tell I am getting massive amounts of black residue in the leade. I mean first two patches after 12 rounds made my .308 were solid black. think lamp black that dark.

Is this just natural for red dot, or is there a secret im missing with it. more pressure? different cleaner? different lube?

Boolit Master
    I use Red Dot in 06 and have not noticed it being particularly dirty, but I am loading 12,5-13 grains. With NOE 311291 and lubed with XLOX 2500 only need to run a wet patch followed by a dry patch and bore and chamber are fine. Did discover that the neck area seemed to build up crud so every couple hundred round a brushing was needed, but did not seem to need any real effort to get it clean.

Some powders don't burn clean if pressure is too low but not sure if that applies to Red Dot.

Boolit Master

I have like 8 lbs. of RD. How is accuracy and from what I've read if a filler is used it will help with pressure?
    The unexamined life is not worth living....Socrates
    Pain, is just weakness leaving the body....USMC
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is FINAL!....Wyatt Earp

Banned
    I thought it MIGHT be lack of chamber pressure, but the necks/mouths have no signs of soot on them, and are actually cleaner then Federal factory ammo is,, so I had to ask.

Ive been doing a 3 day marine style cleaning, and its not getting better then "light discoloration in the shape of the rifling."

Banned

I have shot RD in 06:-30-40:30c:30-30 and more. If then powder charge is to light it will crud up. I figured the case was not expanding enough to seal the chamber.

Usually a tad tighter neck crimp helps.

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I've used 10 gr red dot in the 30-06 with a little LEE 115gr soup can with no serious "dirty" issues. Actually one of my favorite 50yd plinking loads.

Banned
    if it is neck crimping, whats the best shot at solving that with lee factory crimp die for .308

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by crankycalico View Post
    if it is neck crimping, whats the best shot at solving that with lee factory crimp die for .308
    Oh I can't say. It worked on my 30-30 for me

I've used RD as a low power pistol powder for 25 years....I experience the same thing you describe. VERY dirty. I just clean it up with some Ed's Red and its all good. Accuracy is great so I saw no reason to switch. The accuracy is what its all about for me.

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by redhawk0 View Post
    I've used RD as a low power pistol powder for 25 years....I experience the same thing you describe. VERY dirty. I just clean it up with some Ed's Red and its all good. Accuracy is great so I saw no reason to switch. The accuracy is what its all about for me.

redhawk
    Yeah this little powder is ACCURATE for me to. Once I got the seating depth, ooowwee , off hand 30 yard 3 shots into a quarter with a rifle I never shoot off hand, I gets happy.

Would balistol be useful, or is eds red a simpler nicer on the nose concoction?

Boolit Grand Master
    You realize that putting 3 shots into a quarter size group off hand at 30 yards is pure luck....right? Never determine if a load is accurate that way. 5 shots minimum off a rest and 4 consecutive groups.

BTW, those factory “guarantees” of MOA use 3 shot groups for a reason. A 3 MOA rifle will pass that test at least once if you shoot enough groups. It is a numbers game....statistics.
    Don Verna

Banned
    I don't know, I puts 8 into a 6 inch circle, then the 3 I seated to crimp groove suddenly go into basically a 1/2"... something says that its the right combination at that range.

Boolit Man
    I was kind wondering about red dot, only ever used it with the ol man for 12 ga shotgun trap loads, I have a few pounds left from that and I'm wondering usage other than shotgun?

Kimber I have shot very few loads in the last 5 years that were not Red Dot.

Everything from small pistol (.32sw long) to large (Pistol caliber carbines)
    From .223 to .444marlin.

I have yet to find a caliber that is not more accurate than I can hold.
    Most will do it on 4-6 grains.

Don't expect them to be the fastest loads, don't expect them to cycle rifle actions.

My Hipoint Carbines they cycle fine. SKS, nope, not even close.

So the SKS either gets fed 4895, or the gas valve gets shut off and I shoot it like a straight pull bolt. Either works.

Lyman Cast Bullet #3 is THE manual for Red Dot loads, but plenty of info out there.

Also feel free to PM me. I'm always willing to share what I've learned.

Banned
    download the 1980 edition lyman cast bullet handbook #3. very useful powder.

Boolit Man
    Thanks for the advice, I also have a 4# blue dot, gona try that in 9mm I guess

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimber1911 View Post
    Thanks for the advice, I also have a 4# blue dot, gona try that in 9mm I guess
    The 9mm is a good place for red dot .

Quote Originally Posted by Dieselhorses View Post
    I have like 8 lbs. of RD. How is accuracy and from what I've read if a filler is used it will help with pressure?
    Do not use a filler with RD. It ignites just fine without it. Fillers are not needed with the faster burning pistol/shotgun powders.
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

Banned

Think I have used RD,GD,U,Promo in ever cartridge I have

Banned
    Its pretty consistent.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast