Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingWidenersLoad Data
Inline Fabrication Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pre-Model 15 S&W Project

Boolit Buddy

Pre-Model 15 S&W Project

I’ve been wanting a K frame Smith, and could not pass up this old beauty. I picked her up today for $279, and hiding under some crud and patches of surface rust is a nice old pistol with probably 50% of the original finish. Sn is K164xxx. This is a local police department trade in, and I am amazed how tight the fit is, the smoothness of the function, and the quality of the machining. Absolutely zero cylinder endshake. From a SN list I found, it looks like it was assembled in 1952. I hope to shoot it tomorrow, weather permitting, and need to find the proper grips to replace the nasty Pacmyr rubber one that it came with. I understand I need a set with diamonds on the sides of the grips, I would appreciate it if anyone has a similar timeframe pistol and can confirm that. Attachment 232809Attachment 232810Attachment 232811Attachment 232813
    Last edited by Jkrem; 12-27-2018 at 10:49 PM.

Boolit Master
    Ah, nice find. Yep I’ve got a soft place in my heart for old K-frames. I couldn’t have left that one either. A long action M&P with adjustable sights. Nice. I’ll bet it’ll shoot boolits where it’s pointed.

If it was mine, or in my hands, I’d pop the side plate off, give her a bath and change the oil.

Closest one I have is an M&P from 1945 in 32-20. It has diamond stocks. I’ll bet a look through the Smith and Wesson big book could answer your question. Mine is about a week away from me right now or I’d have a look for you. Maybe someone else can beat me to it.

Hope you get to give her a try soon. Those are good’urns.
    "Time and money don't do you a bit of good until you spend them." - My Dad

Boolit Bub
    Per Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson 4th Edition serial number K136691 to K175637 were made in 1952.

Boolit Grand Master
    Back in the 80's, when the LASO and LAPD traded in their M-15's I bought a bunch of them at 99-169 dollars ea and resold them at a 10-15 dollar profit to Security Guards and the like who needed quality firearms but couldn't afford the 300 bucks a new one would cost. I regret that I did not keep one for myself, though I have an M-66, and an M-10 from that era that I did manage to hang onto. These are excellent guns, and typically in good to great mechanical condition.
    You did good to buy it and will have a lot of shooting fun. IME, the 38 special in a K frame revolver is the best choice going for a reloader. Brass is not as cheap as it once was, but it is as easy to reload as ever and there are tons of molds out there.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master
    Nice find. Those pre-model number K frames are great revolvers.

Pinned and recessed k frames are pure art.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by shooting on a shoestring View Post
    Ah, nice find. Yep I’ve got a soft place in my heart for old K-frames. I couldn’t have left that one either. A long action M&P with adjustable sights. Nice. I’ll bet it’ll shoot boolits where it’s pointed.
    This pistol was named "Combat Masterpiece" before the change over to model numbers and it is more than just an M&P with adjustable sights. The S&W peope put allot of thought into this pistol to make it the premier police pistol of it's day. The barrel has a taper to it, that allows the pistol to come free of the leather in just a short pull. The barrel has a rib that allows the front sight to be lower. The sight rib and rear sight were serrated and matte to prevent glare. The action was the newer short action and not the long action with it's sight blocking hump back hammer.

The pre-15 models are not rated for +P ammo, so milder loads are the order of the day.

Some years ago, I bought a NIB 1957 vintage Model 15 and it is a grand pistol. The best 4" 38 Special ever made, at least in my not so humble opinion. Here she is.

I also include a photo of my 1956 Colt Trooper which was it's head to head competitor for the high end service pistol market. The Trooper was little more than a 4" barrel version of the Colt Officers Model Match. Both the Colt and the Smith 15 are the nee plus ultra, for those of us who are over the top 38 Special fans.

Of course, the service pistol market changed when Bill Jordan and Smith and Wesson came out with the Combat Magnum, a K frame in 357 Magnum a much lighter and more portable than the previous 357 Magnum revolvers by either Smith or Colt. For fun, here is my 1966 Model 19 as wel.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Combat Masterpiece (640x327) (2).jpg   Colt Trooper 38 1956 (640x336) (2).jpg   Combat Magnum.jpg  
    Last edited by Char-Gar; 12-28-2018 at 01:18 PM.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

In Remembrance / Boolit Grand Master

The Mod 15 (Combat Masterpiece) was the issue sidearm for USAF Aircrew. I was never actually issued one but had to qualify with annually. So they have a place in my heart.

The one I have is a -2. When I shoot it I put these black plastic grips on it. Found them at a gun show, Attachment 232841very comfortable.
    Fact: Some people are alive simply because it's illegal to kill them.

Boolit Buddy
    I’m in love. I bought some Ballistol this morning and re-cleaned the whole pistol. Even took off the side plate after watching the proper technique on YouTube. Pistol looks entirely different, the bore is now pristine. Amazing what Ballistol got off of a gun I had just cleaned with Hoppes #9! I had 12 rounds of 38Spl loaded with 358311 bullets over 4.3 grains of Unique and got this group at 10 yards. Going to try powder coating some of these bullets and get loading!! Thanks for the comments and help here.Attachment 232858Attachment 232859

Here's mine! Grips are Altamont.

Attachment 232874

My idea of a perfect DA revolver. My wife likes her m67 too!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Yep you’re right Char-Gar. I thought the first pic showed the hammer spur at the top of the hammer. But on a second look, the other pics show the spur mid-hammer. Yep short action. Actually I prefer the short actions. But I do get along fine with my mid thirties M&P in 38 Spl and my mid forties 32-20. But those K-Frames are the apex of the revolver curve.
    "Time and money don't do you a bit of good until you spend them." - My Dad

Boolit Grand Master
    If that was the only handgun you had, you would still be well armed. That cleaned up really nice. And it shoots good, too!
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Buddy
    The only thing better than a old k frame is a old k frame with usable sights.

Banned
    A 4" K-frame chambered in 38 Special is an amazing tool.

Banned
    any 4-6" barreled medium to full size revolver in 38 special is an amazing friend to have.

Boolit Master

I have one of the old CA surplus guns and two Model 18s. I love 'em all. Carried a Model 15 in VN as a "go to" sidearm in VN and all through my Army career. We still had them in the Army when I retired in 1989 (I was in Aviation). Too bad Smith don't make another run of the .32 Longs in the Masterpiece configuration./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by beagle View Post
    I have one of the old CA surplus guns and two Model 18s. I love 'em all. Carried a Model 15 in VN as a "go to" sidearm in VN and all through my Army career. We still had them in the Army when I retired in 1989 (I was in Aviation). Too bad Smith don't make another run of the .32 Longs in the Masterpiece configuration./beagle
    Amen to that. A Model 16 would look good in my hand and safe.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by beagle View Post
    In the course of building my two custom K-frame 32s (blue 32 S&W Long and stainless 327 FM) I purchased a Model 67 and a Model 15 that for various reasons could not be used for the projects. I cleaned both of them up, replaced damaged sights on one and the grips on both then sold them to friends for only a little more than I had in them... I made the decision to keep my early post-War K-38 and my Baby Chief for 38 Special duties, but all this raving about 4" guns makes me wonder whether I should have kept one or the other?

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast