Reloading EverythingRepackboxWidenersInline Fabrication
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2

Thread: Jim Shockey Gold?

Boolit Buddy

Jim Shockey Gold?

Found a good deal on a quantity of Jim Shockey Gold FFG and FFFG. Is it suitable for BPCR use or should I pass on it?

Boolit Master

From my limited experience with Jim Shockey Gold, I'd advise you to pass. I tried some in 45-70s and couldn't come close to matching accuracy and consistency of real BP. Gave what I had left to another shooter and he almost destroyed a really nice reproduction Richards-Mason Colt Navy. Wiped the exterior and ran a couple patches through the bore and chambers before he leaving the range and, by the time he got around to really cleaning the gun later that evening, had fine layer of rust every place where any fouling residue remained.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Banned
    every time people wise up to that stuff labeled with shockeys name on it, sales drop to nothing, and they change the label so people start buying it.

10 years ago, the internet population of the firearms world considered him a bigger joke then Gerry Rivers.

Boolit Master

I think that is the powder made from sugar, might be wrong but his name and sugar powder stick in my brain.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Master
    Absolutely the worst stuff I ever tried as a BP sub....by far. I lost any respect for the guy for even putting his name on this stuff. He had to know better.

Boolit Master

A friend of mine was a cook in a sheep camp with Jim and his Dad some years back and said they were real first class guys. As far as gold powder goes I've never herd any thing good about it.

I tried Shockey’s Gold in my first BPC rifle, a Westley Richards 1869 500/450 No.1 Express, and I thought it actually performed well.
    The residue needed to be cleaned promptly or it would harden but hot water cut it without too much work.
    I still have a couple containers of it but now that I am a disciple of the Holy Black I really don’t know what I’m going to use it in...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Huvius View Post
    I tried Shockey’s Gold in my first BPC rifle, a Westley Richards 1869 500/450 No.1 Express, and I thought it actually performed well.
    The residue needed to be cleaned promptly or it would harden but hot water cut it without too much work.
    I still have a couple containers of it but now that I am a disciple of the Holy Black I really don’t know what I’m going to use it in...
    got gopher dens?

Boolit Buddy
    Did some reading on different forums about this powder.I guess j know why its being offered at the low price. Thanks for your replies

Boolit Buddy
    I use it mainly for SASS shoots, in the BP catagories. Accuracy isn't paramount. Works fine for that, but make sure it gets cleaned immediately! Cleans well with hot water and a little soap, or Balistol and water. Make sure the gun gets oiled when done!! Trust me on this.
    Tried with LEE alox in a 45-70 for BPCR....ONCE. Leading to beat the band. YMMV.

The "Gold" is the same stuff, more expensive than the regular, 'cuz his mug is on the can...
    Knarley
    A gun in hand is worth two cops on the phone.
    MOLON LABE

Vendor Sponsor

Strange it must be the loose form that's bad. I have been using the pellets for 50 cal inline for years .. very very consistant clean burning
    I clean up with shooters choice and oil down with CLP .. never had any rusting issues ..
    Have left gun loaded for over a week during hunting season Fired right off when needed

have turned many customers to it and never a complaint
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!