Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingInline FabricationWideners
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionRepackboxLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: .45-70 patch size

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Nobade View Post
    If you're shooting PP with smokeless, the lack of throat in a 45-70 isn't really a problem but your techniques and bullets will be completely different than if you were shooting black powder. BTW if you haven't noticed yet, 45 Colt bullets are the perfect size to patch up and shoot in a 45-70 with smokeless. And a 250gr. bullet can be motivated to travel at quite a high speed with enough medium fast rifle powder behind it, makes a wicked varmint gun that way.
    Good idea on the Colt bullets. I have been sizing down some Lee 405 grain RNFP from a mould that drops at about .455” or so. I size down to .453” and patch up to .4595” or so.

Then I pretty much load them out as far as I can and hope for the best. Should I be doing something other than this?

I have some absolutely perfect cast Lyman Postell bullets that I’m waiting to wrap. These things are falling with about 1 grain variation. I have brand new Starline brass all primed up waiting and like I said I have 5744 for powder because I’ve Heard such good things about it.

I’m thinking the only variable would be the powder charge and my poor shooting abilities. Well maybe finding the dead spot in the barrel to rest on.

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    Don't waste your time and those postels and the 5744 by sizing them down and trying to patch them. Shoot them lubed with a good lube.
    A better thing for patching would be a paper patch bullet from .444 to .446 diameter, wrapped and loaded over black powder.
    The 5744 will work alright for grease groove bullets.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123