WidenersInline FabricationTitan ReloadingRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Load Data

Thread: A basic question...Semi Wadcutters or LBT style?

Boolit Master

A basic question...Semi Wadcutters or LBT style?

For hunting or SD, does the wider meplat of the LBT style boolits, which iirc, at .280 are ~.035-.050 in. wider than a Keith design semi wadcutter of about the same weight more effective? I know the LBT boolits are said to be very effective, but for those of us who are satisfied with 150-160 gr. boolits at ~ 1,000 fps, is there a practical difference in either accuracy or effectiveness? Is there any advantage to going to the heavier 173 gr. Keith boolit?
    Last edited by sniper; 12-28-2018 at 12:00 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

So long as you place either boolit where it needs to go, the results will be the same.

Boolit Master
    LBT style bullets were made for one purpose. To get as much of the lead outside (ahead) of the case as possible so that there would be more room in the case for more powder for more velocity (and pressure). If you are not compressing the powder with a SWC, an LBT bullet is not needed.

PS: I have tried his Wide Flat Nose in a few lever action rifles. They do not work well in slightly bottlenecked cases, such as the 38-40 and 44-40. The corner of the meplat catches in the neck-down part of the chamber and screws up the rhythm of the levering/shooting. I have only tried one of those bullets in a straight chamber, but did not have that problem.
    Last edited by Harry O; 12-27-2018 at 02:52 PM.

Both are excellent, providing accuracy and excellent terminal effects.

Boolit Grand Master

I like the Keith type SWC the best unless feeding is an issue. They both shoot well.

Quote Originally Posted by tatume View Post
    both are excellent, providing accuracy and excellent terminal effects.
    what he said ^^^^^^^^^

Boolit Master
    I have noticed that if your going for these designs to be expanding, a wfn can expand to a given diameter and be more intact ie. less splits and pieces wanting to break off the edge since it had to stretch a lower percentage to get there. but generally if a keith is "good" I don't really see a logical reason why a wfn isn't slightly better unless it causes worse feeding or accuracy or something not on the terminal end of balistics

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    I tend to like the LBT long flat nose , I bought one for each of the lever rifles I have and they work without a hitch . I have not tried the wide flat nose so I'd follow Harry O's advice there .

Where you don't need to pack the case full to get to a higher velocity the SWC works pretty good .

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter