RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLoad DataRepackbox
WidenersLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Just got a 45/70. Any recommendations for 2000fps?

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I have four different Lee molds 340 to 500grns. I enjoy the 500 the most, however I don’t use as much powder as for a 405. The new Marlins are a lot tougher and can take a lot more pressure for sure than the old trapdoors. However, they are not the strongest .45-70’s built today.

If you really want to go for the high speed, you are probably better off with 340grns. Maybe a faster boolit will shoot a little flatter, but there is always a trade off. A heavier boolit will have better knock down power, especially at a greater distance.

The Lee molds are cheap and you can afford to experiment with several sizes. Montana bullet works sells cast boolits from some of the more expensive molds. There are probably other casters who sell similar boolits too. Best to try before you buy so you are happy with what you get.

https://www.montanabulletworks.com/

Boolit Master
    rotflmao , WOW, just WOW that's gonna leave some marks after 40 or 50 shots. I,m 6'3 280lbs and not an old geezer by any means I feed my outdoor woodstove 4' bolts of ash maple and oak and even I find anything over 1500fps in my ruger #1 nasty. BUT pain is like pleasure how much can you enjoy?

Your goal is achievable.

http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/

Hodgdon data for cast bullets (Trapdoor loads) peak at 1700 fps, but you can reach 2000 fps with H4198. The Limbsaver recoil pad takes a lot of the bite out.

https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/prod...97438101029.do

That said, the Hodgdon Trapdoor loads of IMR 3031 (1600-1700 fps) will get the job done.

That's the quickest way to take the fun out of the Grand Old Cartridge. It never needed high velocity and doesn't now. A 405 gr. @ 2000 fps will start loosening things- on you and that sweet Marlin

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Do yourself a favor and just order a new stock set now....I see cracks in your future.

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

I've had a lot of fun with very powerful 45-70 loadings, all the while dreaming of going to Alaska and Africa. Brian Pierce used a Marlin 45-70 on Cape Buffalo, and as I recall drilled a bull and killed the cow on the other side of him. Both animals were tagged and utilized. The cartridge is very capable of astonishing feats, and the Marlin rifle is a very strong platform for it. Mine has absorbed lots of recoil impulses from firing 400 grain bullets at 2000 fps, and shows no signs of wear. That said, I haven't made it to Alaska or Africa, and certainly don't NEED such a powerful loading for anything. I've sold my 458 Win Mag Ruger No. 1 (but kept the 375 H&H No. 1, one never knows, does one?).

I've done it, and people here who say it's not needed, extra punishing, etc. are correct. It is certainly a handful. But if the OP wants to shoot some loads that would be appropriate for brown bear, why not? Have fun. That's what it's all about.

So maybe stick with no more than 1500fps?

Boolit Master
    Yea start slow and work up carefully. Have fun that is one fun gun to work with so many loads to try stay safe my friend.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Stopsign32v View Post
    Yup! I don't have a Marlin 1895 but I do have an H&R Trapdoor carbine that's in the same weight bracket and can state from personal experiences that 405s pushed to the top end of Category 1 loads are NOT all that much fun after the first 15 or 20 rounds. There really was a reason that original Gov't issue BP loads came in two flavors: 500 gr. RNs over 70 grs. of powder for rifles and 405s over 55 gr. for carbines. Btw, I'm just a bit over 6'0", 200 lbs, and have never been accused of being 'recoil sensitive'

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Quote Originally Posted by Stopsign32v View Post
    You are doing yourself a big favor if you do, but like Tatume said, go ahead and feel the "fun" then take some steam outa' that load for 90% of hunting/target shooting. I had to feel the fun for a while as well but it gets old in a hurry.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Master
    Denmark (a greasy little spot in Scandinavia)
    I push the RCBS 425gr gaschecked to @1850fps with "ease".
    I doubht you'll find critters in the US that needs more punch including pissed off bears, rabid moose and greyhound busses.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	45-70 Marlin RCBS 425gr.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	88.9 KB 
ID:	232797

Boolit Master
    Can you film yourself shooting that 2000 fps load ?sounds like a receipt for pain but funny to watch .

Boolit Master
    I like modern Marlin 45-70 full power. Why to download a great caliber?

400 grains @ 1500 fps is not even moose legal here in Finland.

Banned

I remember Ross Seyfried said shooting heavy loads in his Marlin 45-70 was worse than a painful trip to the dentist. Even if the recoil was light and enjoyable as a massage, I would consider what kind of accuracy you get at the top end. If that is the sweet-spot accuracy-wise, then it might make sense to some.
    At 1000 fps a 500 grain WLN would go stem to stern on a moose.
    Not sure how the hunting authorities come up with their minimum where you hunt ???

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by jmort View Post
    If that is the sweet-spot accuracy-wise, then it might make sense to some.
    I have 3 Marlins in 45/70 that shoot Remington 405 jacketed bullets over a max charge of IMR 4198 with unbelievable accuracy. Normally I only shoot them out of my SS scoped guide gun. It has a recoil pad on it that helps some. I will not state what kind of groups I get but I am more than willing to place money on what they can do. I have won a fair amount of bets with them. I use the Guide Gun on deer drives and the extra velocity is benefit for a running shot.

Banned

I don't doubt it. I have two 45-70 JMs and they are shooters.

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    Quote Originally Posted by Petander View Post
    I like modern Marlin 45-70 full power. Why to download a great caliber?

400 grains @ 1500 fps is not even moose legal here in Finland.
    Is true, but OP says he will mostly sit at the bench, shooting paper. Many rifles I do not mind, and even enjoy for short periods standing, but not sitting, no sir!

Happy Joul.
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Buddy
    If you wanted a 458 Magnum you should have bought one. You are certainly unaware of the penetration ability of heavy cast bullets at moderate velocity. They do the job and do it well. If you want to shoot long range get a high velocity rifle or learn to use a rangefinder and the sights properly. What you are asking for will hurt you, cause shoulder problems, detached retinas, loosen dental work, etc. I once had a Ruger #3 in 45/70 and loaded a 500 grain solid to max velocity. It made me take a step backward on ignition. I only shot one! I've got several 45/70's and shoot them all at black powder velocities.

Boolit Master
    350 gr. bullet, cast or jacket, backed by 43 gr. of IMR-4198 for about 1875 fps
    Exactly what has been the most accurate boolit (350 Ranch Dog) and load for me!
    Plata o plomo?
    Plomo, por favor!

Quote Originally Posted by Hamish View Post
    Is true, but OP says he will mostly sit at the bench, shooting paper. Many rifles I do not mind, and even enjoy for short periods standing, but not sitting, no sir!

Happy Joul.
    OH! A piece of information I missed! There is no way in hell you can bench rest shoot 400 grain @ 2000 fps! You have to stand/kneel/sit so your whole body absorbs the recoil. If you brace against a bench you'll be jarred all to hell!

To give perspective, my friend is about 350 lbs - you can see the recoil. This is one of the 396 cup point (actual weight is around 380 grain) under 52 grain of varget. These clock at about 1800 fps.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast