Load DataRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionRepackboxWideners
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Just got a 45/70. Any recommendations for 2000fps?

Boolit Buddy
    Not 45-70 but I have shot my 1895 Marlin guide gun in .450 Marlin with 400 gr jacketed at 2000fps.
    I loaded 5, shot 4 and decided that the last one didn’t need to be fired.
    I won’t be doing that again.
    And I don’t consider myself recoil sensitive.

I do have a 45-70 barrel for my Contender handgun and my favorite load through that so far is 70 grains of black substitute behind a Lee 405 grain rnfp. It is a pleasure to shoot and accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigslug View Post
    If you are mainly after blunt force trauma and aren't sweating trajectory, the NOE has a couple options that take the meplat diameter to .34". We call them "root beer barrels", and at north of 1600 fps, they are the most destructive thing I've ever seen hit a gallon milk jug. The displacement from those hits is so forceful, it clears the loose sand from the ground to about a 1 foot radius from where the jug was standing.
    Are you referring to these? http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/index.php?cPath=42_550

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Stopsign32v View Post
    I think this is what's being referenced: http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/index.php?cPath=42_139

Quote Originally Posted by dlbarr View Post
    I think this is what's being referenced: http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/index.php?cPath=42_139
    Much better

I'll grab one of those molds

Boolit Master
    For a 100 yard gun why 2000fps that is going to make you black and blue. Try 1300 to 1500 you will shoot way more and enjoy it. If you simply must do 2000fps post video we want to share your pain LOL. Which ever way you go enjoy that Marlin. Regards Stephen

Mountains from mole hills. Some of my guns recoil more than my Marlin with 400 grain bullets at 2000 fps. I still enjoy shooting them. What's the big deal?

Banned

No big deal. Just the common, majority opinion that hot/heavy loads in the Marlin 45-70 are uncomfortable. No big deal. Just subjective experience. That you have other guns that have more recoil than the 45-70 is meaningless. There is recoil, and the design and recoil absortion of a firearm. Recoil pads, stocks, geometry all play into this.
    It is no big deal.
    Rock on and enjoy what you like.
    Last edited by jmort; 01-01-2019 at 11:52 AM. Reason: Removed the "mistaken"

Banned

There, I fixed it.

Boolit Master

Nope. Something a little closer to these, though the catalog has changed somewhat: http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/index.p...mm8j8gad6no0g5
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigslug View Post
    Nope. Something a little closer to these, though the catalog has changed somewhat: http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/index.p...mm8j8gad6no0g5
    Just looking at all those molds makes me drool.

Quote Originally Posted by Reverend Al View Post
    I have one of the old Browning B78 / 1885 single shots in .45-70 and it shoots tight little clover leafs at 100 yards with 300 grain Hornady or Sierra JHP's with a lightly compressed case completely FULL of IMR3031. Pokes them out at about 2,000 fps and although they kill moose like the Hammer of Thor they are absolutely unpleasant to shoot too! When I was working up the load for this rifle the groups just kept getting smaller and smaller until I couldn't get any more powder into the case and seat the bullet just off the lands, I just flat ran out of room in the case. It just so happened that the most accurate load that it really liked was at the very top of the powder range and the excessive recoil it generates just came along for the ride ...
    Medium speed rifle powders like this are the way to go in the Marlin. Stay away from fast rifle powders like 4198 & re 7. They will get you there as far as velocity but recoil will be more like a punch. 3031 & 4895 powders really make the 45-70 shine. Reverend Al has it, I learned it from Goodsteel. Use the data out of Marlin section of the manuals for the big stick medium speed rifle powders and don't look back. 50.0 grains of 3031 is easier to shoot and higher in velocity than 22/2400 with a 405 grain boolit. I won't put 2400 in a 45-70 case again.
    Last edited by pmer; 01-04-2019 at 10:35 PM.
    Oh great, another thread that makes me spend money.

Quote Originally Posted by pmer View Post
    Medium speed rifle powders like this are the way to go in the Marlin. Stay away from fast rifle powders like 4198 & re 7. They will get you there as far as velocity but recoil will be more like a punch. 3031 & 4895 powders really make the 45-70 shine. Reverend Al has it, I learned it from Goodsteel. Use the data out of Marlin section of the manuals for the big stick medium speed rifle powders and don't look back. 50.0 grains of 3031 is easier to shoot and higher in velocity than 22/2400 with a 405 grain boolit. I won't put 2400 in a 45-70 case again.
    This is true. I like Varget - even the heavy recoil loads are more of a push than a punch. But heavier loads will still rattle the holy hell out of you. The heavier 4198 loads have a sharper crack to them.

Boolit Grand Master

What 44blam said... fast powders can produce a pretty sharp jab like recoil where slower powders like 4320 produce more of a push. It makes quite a difference in felt recoil!

I think I mentioned that I started out with a rather hefty load of IMR4227 per Hornady loading manual and it was a brutal load to shoot. I went to IMR4320 which took considerably more powder for same velocity but the recoil went from sharp unpleasant jab to a solid push

So, if it is the higher velocities you are after use the slower end powders and the recoil will not be so punishing.

Longbow

Boolit Man
    You'll get a thump all right....

Boolit Master
    A Decelerator recoil pad on the rifle, and this on your shoulder should help

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C49C6D49-CBC6-4B35-A431-7AED97D6C66D.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	24.7 KB 
ID:	233460
    Last edited by ghh3rd; 01-06-2019 at 01:09 PM. Reason: Spelling
    Plata o plomo?
    Plomo, por favor!

Simply stated, don't waste your time, money, shoulder or risk detached retinas... no joke. I'm serious.
    I've cast loaded, and shot 45/70 for years in Marlins, Rugers, Sharps and Remingtons.
    I can promise you 1600-1700 from any platform is more than sufficient to kill anything in North America. For that matter, 400 grains at 1400 will do as well, easily and accurately. Personally, I've evolved to prefer 350 grains at 1600. It will penetrate through nearly anything from any angle.
    Don't beat up your body and your equipment unnecessarily.
    You will shoot more and shoot better when it's enjoyable.
    There's no machismo in silliness.
    Salvaging old Marlins is not a pasttime...it's a passion

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by longbow View Post
    screwcutter:

Right you are! My apologies. The "new" 1895 has a different beginning than the original 1895. I learned something new which is good! I should read my examples more thoroughly before posting and commenting. ......

Longbow
    Please define "new" 1895....to what years of mfr are you referring?

Post 1970s. Marlin used the 1895 model name in the late 1890s for a different design.

Boolit Master
    Been wanting one and wanting one. Had a Marlin JM 1895 CB 26” fall out of the sky for $750 and jumped. So now I will be casting and reloading for 45/70.

I’m wanting a nice thump so I can tell it from my 45 Colt Marlins so I was thinking of sending 405gr at around 2000fps. Any opinions here? Will be mainly a 100 yard shooter and won’t be shot too often.
    I shot a few of those out of a .458 Win. for a guy with his arm in a sling. Velocity was somewhere in the 2100 fps area. It's the reason his arm was in a sling he told me. After I shot a few, I was inclined to believe him.

Boolit Grand Master

dlbarr:

Screwcutter corrected me in that the original Marlin 1895 was a square bolt gun where the "new" 1895 is based on the 336 action with round bolt. The 444 marlin came first in the 336 action then .45-70.

I had thought the "new" 1895 was same pattern as original though possibly made of higher grade materials. Not so.

The original 1895 production was ended in about 1915 and "new" 1895 production based on 336 action was in the early 1970's.

Here's a bit of the history by Chuck Hawks:

https://www.chuckhawks.com/marlin_336_444_1895.htm

Longbow

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast