Snyders JerkyLoad DataInline FabricationWideners
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Lee Precision Repackbox
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Just got a 45/70. Any recommendations for 2000fps?

Boolit Buddy

Starting load of 3031 @ ~1800 was about all I wanted with a steel buttplate but it was pretty darn'd accurate. Definitely devastating to a telephone pole.
    "The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."--Plato

That thing will learn you how to flinch 400 grains at 2K
    Those who choose violence as a first option are typically confronted by somebody else using violence as a last resort.

Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you’ll enjoy it a second time.

Do not confuse my being polite for weakness.
    Using MX Linux 21

From the free state of Idaho

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Quote Originally Posted by Petander View Post
    I like modern Marlin 45-70 full power. Why to download a great caliber?

400 grains @ 1500 fps is not even moose legal here in Finland.
    Can you explain why they are not legal there for moose? Too light? Look at how many moose have been taken with 6.5x55 in Sweden and Norway. Probably Finland too.

Boolit Mold
    Been there done that...at a younger and less wise age.
    Just started casting me own boolitz so back about 15 years ago I used Beartooth boolit 405 gr gas check.
    Sure, it kicks but I am MAN enough
    H4198 Chronograph at 2060 fps at about 10 feet....did I mention I wuz a bit dummer back then....dumb enough to load about 50 of them up.

Next to last straw...made a bad shot on a doe about 5 years ago. She ran past me, hit a tree and knocked herself out cold....then woke back up.
    I'm thinking do I really have to shoot AGAIN or can I climb down and go finish her off with me knife...yes, I shot her again...ouch.

Last straw 3 years ago.
    I shot a very nice (to me) 5 year old 12 point at about 80 yards and hit him a bit low. Boolit hit sternum/bottom of rib cage and send bone fragments up into his lungs. He did not run far. I though I had just pulled a bit low but a few days later while hunting I went to change power on my scope and the scope wiggled..

I about danced a jig....why you ask?

Because I only had 3 of these crazy boolitz left....In the trash they went...

I know..I know,
    I coulda pulled the boolitz out but throwing them away whole was more rewarding!

Quote Originally Posted by Stopsign32v View Post
    So maybe stick with no more than 1500fps?
    Why not go to the Hodgdon web site, pick a powder you like (I've use IMR 4895 & H4895, IMR 4198 & H4198, and IMR 3031 with good success), and load the minimum charge? Shoot them, decide if you want more or less, and go from there.

Rather than worrying about velocity, I suggest looking for good accuracy. A 400 grain bullet at 800 fps velocity or greater will kill like lightening on thin-skinned, medium game if you put it where it counts.

On the other hand, if you have access to buckets, fill them with water and shoot them with your 400 grain bullets at 2000 fps. It's fun!

http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/

Suggest a good recoil pad.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Thumbcocker View Post
    Suggest a good recoil pad.
    Limbsaver makes a good recoil pad. Pachmayr also makes a good recoil pad.

Which ones of these would be a good choice for a 1895 Cowboy?

http://www.accuratemolds.com/catalog.php?page=18

Boolit Master
    Been wanting one and wanting one. Had a Marlin JM 1895 CB 26” fall out of the sky for $750 and jumped. So now I will be casting and reloading for 45/70.

I’m wanting a nice thump so I can tell it from my 45 Colt Marlins so I was thinking of sending 405gr at around 2000fps. Any opinions here? Will be mainly a 100 yard shooter and won’t be shot too often.
    Yup don"t ,1200 FPS for target/killing stuff is all you ever need ! That speed is my target for 700 yd in my C Sharps 1874 45/70 and it works further ,I just don"t have more range than that /Ed

I have a mold that has both the 405e and 405eg cavities and those cycle nicely in my 1895.

I have a 4 cavity mold, 2 of which are 405A and 2 are 405D. Either run through my 1895 Cowboy smooth as butter. Sometimes I think the GC cavities are more accurate and sometimes the plain base boolits are the most accurate. Could be the shooter on that given day. Either way they are both very accurate and I PC both of them. I load IMR 4759 but it's out of production so the ticket now would be 5744. It's expensive where I buy powder but don't sell Accurate 2015 short. I have gotten really good accuracy from it as well. I have stopped the beating at around 1650 fps but my rifle really shoots great at about 1450-1500fps. I added a Skinner receiver and front sight to my rifle and it helped the accuracy. I just couldn't bear the thought of putting a scope on this classic rifle, but that is the best way to find the most accurate load. YMMV. Good luck
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Probably the most fun and pleasant load I shoot in my Marlin CB is 70gr. of FF with a fairly hard cast 420gr flat point. It comes out at 1350-ish.
    The first time I fired it with smokeless powder at 1650, I had to stop & think to determine which end was more dangerous than the other.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

I have a load for Trailboss that made those 405's like a .22... But you shoot them like an arc.

Boolit Master

13 to 18 grains of Unique.
    Not one time did I ever here the deer say, dang that boolit was only going 1300fps+-, as it hit the ground.
    YMMV...

Boolit Grand Master

Hahahahaha! I'll add my two cents here too...

I'm with the "ouch!" crowd!

My first .45-70 was a converted Siamese Mauser which I knew was a strong action and could take hot loads so in my youthful ignorance I bought the Lyman 457125 500 gr. RN mould and cast up a couple hundred. I also started buying what brass i could find and it was not common back in the 70's... or not common in Vancouver anyway.

In preparation for the arrival of my custom Mauser .45-70 I loaded up 200 rounds using the max. Hornady load data for 500 gr. jacketed bullets. This was also an "economy" load using IMR4227 (IIRC) with powder charge considerably smaller than the slower powders but velocity right up there. Now there was a mistake... fast powder, max. load, heavy boolit and 200 rounds loaded... oh and plastic butt plate!

Well, I went to the range with the gunsmith that built the gun and he wanted the first shot. One shot is all he took and then said "Here you shoot it!" Recoil was brutal! It shot well but recoil was brutal! I don't recall if I shot all the loaded rounds that day but my shoulder was black and blue. I subsequently bought a Pachmayr triple magnum recoil pad and had it installed. That tamed recoil some but downloading was the answer to more pleasant shooting. Even Marlin load data is more than most people need to get most jobs done with .45-70 in my opinion. BP or BP equivalent loads work just fine and are quite pleasant to shoot.

I bought a Lyman 457124 mould that cast a 385 gr. RN boolit that the Siamese Mauser liked and so did the 1895 Marlin I bought later. Loads were kept within the Marlin data for both guns and with the lighter boolit were not bad to shoot.

If you want to try 405 gr. at 2000 FPS, as long as the load is within pressure limits, go for it! You may enjoy the experience but as mentioned, don't load too many up until you try it.

Like I said, just my two cents worth.

Longbow

Sorry, the "Hahaha" was not meant to be sarcastic... I was remembering my first experience shooting my .45-70 is all and it makes me laugh today.
    Last edited by longbow; 12-29-2018 at 02:26 PM. Reason: Added PS

Boolit Grand Master

Last edited by GregLaROCHE; 12-30-2018 at 08:45 AM. Reason: Controversial

Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    Why? Your link goes to a discussion of a double charge accident. We're not discussing double charges of pistol powders. We're talking about documented loads with rifle powders. Most of the Hodgdon loads are compressed, and so a double charge can't be loaded.

http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/

Because me loading within SAAMI specs will equal to the gun blowing up in half and send me to the ER...

What a dumb post Greg

Boolit Grand Master

Is 2000 f/s with 405grns in SAMI specs? I would like to know. My point in posting the link was to show that these guns can blow up. Maybe he did double charge it. It doesn’t say for sure. If he had put 50% more in would it have blown up? What about 25% more or 15%. When you go past the SAMI specs, you can’t be sure what will happen.

Is 2000 f/s with 405grns in SAMI specs? I would like to know.
    Yes, yes it is

So, what was the point of posting what you did?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast