Titan ReloadingLoad DataReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxWidenersInline Fabrication
Lee Precision
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Just got a 45/70. Any recommendations for 2000fps?

Boolit Buddy

Thanks Longbow. Appreciate the clarification.

Boolit Mold
    I stop were elmer Keith stoped was a good place to stop on the 45-70 look up elmer Keith pumpkin rolling. I will even give you some help http://www.elmerkeithshoot.org/GA/

Banned
    I don't want to hijack the thread but I recently got a 45/70 Handi rifle. It came with 40 rounds loaded with 405's. I am going to pull them and reload with Varget (cuz that's what I got). I would like to load them to about 1100 fps to 1200 fps or even slower. Will Varget even burn with a light load like that? Will a tighter crimp help get a complete burn?

Quote Originally Posted by Traffer View Post
    I don't want to hijack the thread but I recently got a 45/70 Handi rifle. It came with 40 rounds loaded with 405's. I am going to pull them and reload with Varget (cuz that's what I got). I would like to load them to about 1100 fps to 1200 fps or even slower. Will Varget even burn with a light load like that? Will a tighter crimp help get a complete burn?
    It'll work. I shoot PB 405s with varget at about those velocities and they shoot fine. Might be a little dirtier, but I haven't noticed unburned powder in those loads.
    WWG1WGA

Boolit Master
    I'd recommend wearing a life jacket to absorb recoil with a 400gr bullet @ 2000fps. A cheap way to try is to buy a box of Buffalo Bore ammo. My 1895 kicks about like a 12 gauge slug gun with those. After the second shot, you'll be wishing the rifle weighted more. They are comfortable in an acquaintance's Sharps replica.

When I was buying reloading supplies for my soon-to-order 45-70 I found myself in line with a guy who was into cast bullet cartridge shooting. We discussed the different Marlin models, and he didn't recommend the cowboy model for the hunter or casual shooter. His explanation was the straight grip butt stock made the shooter pull the butt into his shoulder with the little finger in the lever loop. He said after a few shots his finger got tender, he didn't pull the rifle tight enough against his shoulder, and it got a "running start" in recoil. I followed his advice and ordered a standard rifle.
    Last edited by Norske; 01-28-2019 at 10:36 AM.

Boolit Grand Master
    I guess it all boils down to: Yep, you can get a 405 up to 2000 fps, but the question is, do you have a level one, two or three shoulder? If you really want 2000 fps, the you might think about a 300gr boolit. I think you will find that 1600 fps is all you will want. You want to quit shooting thinking "that was fun" instead of "where are the pain killers".

Whats the saying "Good choices come from experience, experience comes from bad choices"??? Have fun with your rifle.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    Ouch ouch ouch
    E=1/2mv^2=1/2*(405/7000/32.2)*(2000)^2 = 3,593.6 ft-lbs!
    Ouch indeed

Quote Originally Posted by Stopsign32v View Post
    Been wanting one and wanting one. Had a Marlin JM 1895 CB 26” fall out of the sky for $750 and jumped. So now I will be casting and reloading for 45/70.

I’m wanting a nice thump so I can tell it from my 45 Colt Marlins so I was thinking of sending 405gr at around 2000fps. Any opinions here? Will be mainly a 100 yard shooter and won’t be shot too often.
    Remember, with that 26" barrel, you wont have to load ammo as hot as a depot stove to get more velocity. My Marlin CB 26" gets 100fps more than Lyman got with a 24" test barrel and I'm sure yours will too.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    If you start shooting at 2000 fps, don't be surprised when the magazine tube starts backing out of the receiver.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master

Recoil will not be your friend with that desired velocity. Remington's express load for that bullet weight is rated for 1330fps. TRy to match that first to check your accuracy. You may find you don't need the other 700fps.
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by 44MAG#1 View Post
    I find it enlightening that the OP hasnt posted since December 31, 2018. That is 21 posts ago. People are still giving him advice. It would seem to me he has gotten the picture or he now doesnt care.
    He may no longer need anyone's input on the topic, but apparently enough of us are still enjoying the conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by 44MAG#1 View Post
    I find it enlightening that the OP hasnt posted since December 31, 2018. That is 21 posts ago. People are still giving him advice. It would seem to me he has gotten the picture or he now doesnt care.

Again I mean no hurt, harm, anguish or turmoil by my post I have posted on this posted subject. I am not baiting, trolling or calling out anyone. I am making a post based on my experience, knowledge and/or belief or opinion. That is all.
    I sent OP a few boolits, was hoping for a range report and the cost of postage...
    EDIT: Just got the $10! Thanks!
    Last edited by 44Blam; 02-02-2019 at 03:52 PM.
    WWG1WGA

Banned
    My take on the OP not posting more is that he is probably discouraged by the amount of people telling him that it is a pretty stout load. Some people are more sensitive and get embarrassed or get hurt when they may do a faux pas. (Which is what it kind of seems that the OP was) I think we should give him some time to lick his wounds. With all due respect to him and all.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Traffer View Post
    Some people are more sensitive and get embarrassed or get hurt when they may do a faux pas. (Which is what it kind of seems that the OP was) I think we should give him some time to lick his wounds. With all due respect to him and all.
    How in the Sam Hill is simply asking for a recommendation on a specific SAFE load for the stated parameters a faux pas??????? Yes it's going to kick. If it is more than the OP wants he simply won't load anymore. The faux pas's came from people that had opinions but lacked any facts. The OP has zero wounds to lick...…………………………...unlike some others.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 02-02-2019 at 04:34 AM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    How in the Sam Hill is simply asking for a recommendation on a specific SAFE load for the stated parameters a faux pas??????? Yes it's going to kick. If it is more than the OP wants he simply won't load anymore. The faux pas's came from people that had opinions but lacked any facts. The OP has zero wounds to lick...…………………………...unlike some others.
    I should have worded it differently. I think that some of the feed back may have made the op feel like it was a faux pas. I meant it to imply that maybe we should be a bit more sensitive to a question like that instead of piling on. Obviously I am some form of fool for saying so.

Quote Originally Posted by 44Blam View Post
    I sent OP a few boolits, was hoping for a range report and the cost of postage...
    EDIT: Just got the $10! Thanks!
    OP sent me $10 for the postage and it was only $6. That's a nice little surprise. Hopefully, we get a range report.
    WWG1WGA

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456