RepackboxTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
WidenersLee PrecisionReloading EverythingLoad Data
RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wood smoke as a cover scent

I use no cover sent.I just use 2 different deer lures on some strips of rags.that I hang for how far I want to shoot.I use the brown work insulated cover all .I use some indian lure and also some apple lure all for deer. Works for me.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    For bowhunting practices I just bathe in scent shield or similar products right before walking out the door to head to the woods. I also wash my clothes in scent shield or similar products frequently and spray myself with the same type product on my clothes and self before walking to my stand. Deer can still smell me in my tree stand when under 20 yards a good part of the time. Have had them staring at me for minutes at a times with their noses in the air making snorting noises like pigs. Then they just get bored and move on as long as I didn't flinch or move during the shake down. If they get really nervous I've had them bound or trot 10-20 yards and stomp their foot trying to get me to move and once again they either give up or figure it's nothing and continue grazing or walk off.

I still do it for gun season since I sit in my same tree stand and normal average shot is in bow range but in reality if your gun hunting most will shoot before a deer gets close enough to smell you anyways so it's probably not as nessasary for the average Joe.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 01-02-2019 at 08:56 PM.

For the 35+ years of smoking, I can't recall how many times I had to butt out a cig. to take the shot. Been thinking about starting back up, haven't seen much lately..

Boolit Buddy

lots of wood burning round here. I've done the smoke for years, It works.

Good idea. I solemnly proclaim the efficacy of White Castle sliders as a deer repellent. Wish mosquitoes were so affected.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by curioushooter View Post
    Good idea. I solemnly proclaim the efficacy of White Castle sliders as a deer repellent. Wish mosquitoes were so affected.
    Is it the smell of the sliders or the smell of the after effects?

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    No scent cover will fool a buck or bull's nose for a second. Just watch the wind.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    I once killed a coyote with my 45 colt at 12’ downwind. That’s feet not yards. I had been in deer camp for several days. No bath, wearing the same clothes. Weeds/brush was really thick between us. Twice I could make out the coyote raised it’s head and sniffed the air. I could feel the light breeze on the back of my neck at the time blowing right toward it. After several minutes I saw it’s shoulder through a 2” hole and broke the trigger. It dropped in its tracks.
    Ive hunted/ called coyotes a considerable amount. Ive found they are far superior to deer when it comes to winding you.
    After showering that night when I picked my clothes up the next morning I knew why this dog didn’t smell me. My clothes were so rank with stale woodsmoke it overwhelmed its nose.
    I also believe smoke will lesson body odor but that’s just my opinion.
    This works for me. Everyone else should hunt as they see fit.
    Some people live and learn but I mostly just live

Regarding sliders it is the after effects. Pretty sure it will scare away fish, too.

Boolit Master
    If you want to keep mosquitoes away get a prescription for iron sulfate pills. You won't have any odor to humans, but the biting bugs will avoid you. I had to take them for a while and when Lori and I were out walking or even just sitting on the back deck she would be bitten unmercifully while I wasn't harassed at all.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Buddy
    I feel that scent plays a very small part in hunting whitetail, at least in my area. While turkey hunting, with my face hidden by a mesh cover, I have had deer walk up to me and sniff me. Usually they will startle and jump when they sniff me but if I stay completely still they will generally not even leave the area.
    Sad thing is, I can't move to take a picture.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Tripplebeards View Post
    For bowhunting practices I just bathe in scent shield or similar products right before walking out the door to head to the woods. I also wash my clothes in scent shield or similar products frequently and spray myself with the same type product on my clothes and self before walking to my stand. Deer can still smell me in my tree stand when under 20 yards a good part of the time. Have had them staring at me for minutes at a times with their noses in the air making snorting noises like pigs. Then they just get bored and move on as long as I didn't flinch or move during the shake down. If they get really nervous I've had them bound or trot 10-20 yards and stomp their foot trying to get me to move and once again they either give up or figure it's nothing and continue grazing or walk off.

I still do it for gun season since I sit in my same tree stand and normal average shot is in bow range but in reality if your gun hunting most will shoot before a deer gets close enough to smell you anyways so it's probably not as nessasary for the average Joe.
    This pretty much me, I tend to shoot close.

Not sure how well it really works, but I figure you have to wash yourself and your clothes with something, might as well be scent free. I have a pretty keen nose, and virtually all soaps, shampoos and laundry soaps I can smell some kind of perfume in them if I try. A bottle of the scent free laundry detergent lasts more than a year. I always use Ivory soap because I can't stand to smell perfumey.

I have a lot of deer come in close every year. One thing I am a believer in is knee high rubber boots that I don't use for anything else. If you're wearing boots you mow the yard in, work in, etc., you will leave a trail on the ground they can smell if they cross it, have watched this a few times before I figured it out.

Boolit Master
    An open fire used to be a normal thing during a hunt day over here. Not anymore,hunting is busy and efficient with all the latest technology. No time for a fire. I do not like the high tech trend...

Moose or deer didn't mind the smoke at all, some folks say it helps with covering the human scent. I remember shooting a moose without putting down my Camel. No Camels anymore though.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by fatnhappy View Post
    just out of curiosity, where do you hunt? other than the adirondacks, I'm usually in Pavillion or Hemlock.
    Never noticed members from here (Rochester) before. Nice to know. I hunt a little further south of you, Filmore/ Hume area.

I agree smoke helps. One trick I use is to scrub my boots on some deer scat when on my way to where I'm going to hold up.

Boolit Master and Dean of Balls

Quote Originally Posted by Dancing Bear View Post
    Never noticed members from here (Rochester) before. Nice to know. I hunt a little further south of you, Filmore/ Hume area.
    My wife’s cousin Delaney took the largest buck taken by firearm in NY this year. She lives in Churchville. She’s 17.

Might as well take up checkers, she’ll never top this one. After drying, he grossed 180 1/8. Net 172. 6.5 years old.

I camp down to Pike

Last edited by fatnhappy; 02-08-2019 at 09:30 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodore Roosevelt
    No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it.

Boolit Master
    When I was younger, my dad joined a deer lease, and we hunted with those guys for a long time. Now most of these old guys were ww2 vets, and they were just average ole country boys that bathed on Saturdays. There was a woods stove in the cook shack, and most times a fire outside as well, none of them had any camo mostly overalls or just old work clothes, and none of us had any trouble killing a pile of deer. And all but a few had rifles, the majority used older 12ga pumps. As a young man I loved to hear those stories of days gone bye, and deer hunting tales. As a middle aged man now, I reflect back on all that and sure do miss that, most all of fellows we hunted with are gone now. Deer camps nowadays are just silly to me, guys pull up in fancy campers, and hardly socialize with the other members of camp, seems it's become to high tech! Sorry to ramble on, but I still like it old ways!

Izzyjoe, I appriciate your sharing that story. I prefer the old ways myself, and I'm only 35!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by izzyjoe View Post
    When I was younger, my dad joined a deer lease, and we hunted with those guys for a long time. Now most of these old guys were ww2 vets, and they were just average ole country boys that bathed on Saturdays. There was a woods stove in the cook shack, and most times a fire outside as well, none of them had any camo mostly overalls or just old work clothes, and none of us had any trouble killing a pile of deer. And all but a few had rifles, the majority used older 12ga pumps. As a young man I loved to hear those stories of days gone bye, and deer hunting tales. As a middle aged man now, I reflect back on all that and sure do miss that, most all of fellows we hunted with are gone now. Deer camps nowadays are just silly to me, guys pull up in fancy campers, and hardly socialize with the other members of camp, seems it's become to high tech! Sorry to ramble on, but I still like it old ways!
    Memories... I have some of the same...

Thanks!

2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by fatnhappy View Post
    My wife’s cousin Delaney took the largest buck taken by firearm in NY this year. She lives in Churchville. She’s 17.

Might as well take up checkers, she’ll never top this one. After drying, he grossed 180 1/8. Net 172. 6.5 years old.

I camp down to Pike

VERY Nice!

Yup, braggin' rights for sure!

2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast