Load DataTitan ReloadingRepackboxRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything Wideners
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Wood smoke as a cover scent

Quote Originally Posted by fatnhappy View Post
    My wife’s cousin Delaney took the largest buck taken by firearm in NY this year. She lives in Churchville. She’s 17.

Might as well take up checkers, she’ll never top this one. After drying, he grossed 180 1/8. Net 172. 6.5 years old.

I camp down to Pike

Holy Moley!

Boolit Master and Dean of Balls

Quote Originally Posted by ElCheapo View Post
    Holy Moley!
    Yeah, she did OK
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodore Roosevelt
    No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by fatnhappy View Post
    My wife’s cousin Delaney took the largest buck taken by firearm in NY this year. She lives in Churchville. She’s 17.

Might as well take up checkers, she’ll never top this one. After drying, he grossed 180 1/8. Net 172. 6.5 years old.

I camp down to Pike

Wow! If I ever kill a deer like that, I'll put the rifles away and go buy a bass boat or something. Good on your family for not raising their daughter to be a Barbie Doll. I had sons, no daughters, but I like to think I would have had any daughter of mine out doing things like that too.

Boolit Buddy
    Awesome deer!

I don't think smoke would work too well in our area. Most years we are in a burn ban for most if not all of the year. There are also very few neighbors, so I almost never smell smoke out there. My hunting clothes get washed in scent free detergent. My base layers are all anti-microbial/scent control with silver fibers included in the cloth. Before I started wearing them, anything that crossed down wind smelled me and took off for the next county. Now, they rarely notice me and the few that do don't run very far. I've even had mature bucks completely circle my blind without knowing I was there. When I got my buck this year, there were three smaller bucks from 10-30 yds straight down wind of me when I shot. Another advantage to scent control clothing is my clothes and I don't reek when I get home after hunting.

In Remembrance

I recall on our family farm when we would be clearing and burning brush from fence lines that we would quite often have white tails come quite close to us working to see what was going on. This is why we would have a small smudge pot in our blinds when hunting, and it worked many times.Robert

Boolit Grand Master

Good afternoon
    That is one big Corn Cruncher ! Congratulations young lady !
    Mike in Peru
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

In Alaska I have seen first hand how ol humpy acts with scent.

They always come in from the down wind direction when called. The only time the come straight in is when there is lotza bulls around and the cow gathering contest is fierce. ALL mature bulls will ALWAYS come in from down wind.

While I smoked and had cigarette smoke in my clothes, the big bulls would come in in very thick brush AND down wind and I could hear them snort n stomp and wrack the brush ... ON THEIR WAY AWAY FROM ME when they scented me.

After stopping smoking and being in a smokey camp for a couple days before season began, we began having the bulls come within 20 or 30 yards. I also have seen them scent another hunter further up wind with their fancy camo and all, and whirl about and sneak away after smelling them ( as I later discovered ) .

Wood smoke is a natural Alaska scent and WILL work as I have seen. Works for the bears too. Their sniffer works better then almost any other animal. Wood smoke from the natural wood in the area just works.

Not a firm believer in cover scents. I smell a Big Mac; a dogs smells two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, and a sesame seed bun. A deer’s nose is comparable to that of a bloodhound and I always tell my buddy a passing deer will think a fox peed on him, smelling both a human and fox urine

Boolit Master
    Ah well, to each his own. However, I do believe I will let you believers that use cover smoke to do as you want without any arguments. After all, none of my business what others use. However, I think I will pass on the smoke cover scent
    My mother always said I was the Flower of the Family, The Blooming Idiot

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123