RepackboxRotoMetals2WidenersSnyders Jerky
Load DataInline FabricationLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: 6.5 tcu

Boolit Master

Question 6.5 tcu

Well, I went and did it. I'm not sure why I needed one, but I bought a 20" 6.5 tcu bbl by Russ Carpenter. I didn't know who he was, and even google didn't have much info on him.
    I also bought a lyman 266305 mold (about 105 grs.) Added to the 125 gr and 160 gr. NEI molds, I think I have enough variety to start with. I also have nearly everything J-word for the 6.5 from 85-140 gr. My swede hates Hornady bullets, maybe my contender will like them.
    Glenn's article on the cartridge gave me some info, but am needing more suggestions. I have both 4895's, WC844, H322, Varget, IMR 4064, Ten-X,IMR 4350,RL7, and lots of faster powders like unique, blue-dot, bullseye,700X, etc.
    I have read warnings against using mil-surp brass. Does anyone know why that would be bad?
    I won't be able to play with it until at least December, so I guess I have time to accumulate info.
    Thanks in advance. Tom
    When the Cambrian measures were forming, They promised perpetual peace.
    They swore, if we gave them our weapons, that the wars of the tribes would cease.
    But when we disarmed They sold us and delivered us bound to our foe,
    And the Gods of the Copybook Headings said: "Stick to the Devil you know."

Boolit Bub
    I'm no expert, but the mil brass is thicker and has somewhat less case capacity. Seems like I have seen in some of the manuals for the 5.56 to load 10% less to accomodate the decreased capacity. You might check whatever manual you have handy in the 223/5.56 area for more info on this.

Other than that, the mil brass should be annealed already and might form cases readily...

I have never personally worked with the TCUs (though I wanted to), but I wrestled with a 30 Herret for a few years.

captainkirk

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    Maybe years ago, but not now, because the demand was so high they began using the same equipment for both military and commercial cases. Might check for case capacity between the various lots you have without regard to stamp. If same within a grain or two of a small ball powder, I would consider the cases the same. Or, weigh the various cases and pick those having the same weight. ... felix
    felix

Boolit Master

20+ years ago I had a 7mm TCU in a hand gun. I made all of my cases from
    mil-surp brass and never had a problem. I think that I used RX-7 in it with a 120 Sierra. I always wanted a 6.5 barrel for it but never got around to it. That would be a great deer round.

Bob
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

I've had one of his barrels in 6.5 tcu. Heck it may even have been that one having sold it off several years back. I do not recall why exactly I sold it but it was probably a case of lack-o-money. The one I had was a stub with a new barrel inserted. The workmanship was good and the seam was nearly invisible on the side. If it were not for a thin ring of Kroil where it sort of collected at that seam after a cleaning session I man not have found it. It is easier to tell on the breach face but still it was first rate work. My memory says it had a odd forearm spacing but do not recall the specifics. I still shoot 6.5 but now in a Virgin Valley 11" barrel. For brass I generally use commercial .223 as surplus military can vary more lot to lot causing a maximum in one case to be too much in another. My current barrel has a very tight chamber and throated for 120 grain bullets making that a bit more critical in my case. If you can lot and weight separate cases for consistency you can get around the issue. My top powders for the round are H322, IMR3031 and Reloader7.

Boolit Master

Thanks

Thanks to all.
    CAPlater, I got this bbl from an estate in the Sacramento area. He had a LOT of contender bbls, probably around 50 or so.
    They swore, if we gave them our weapons, that the wars of the tribes would cease.

Boolit Master

bbl arrived

CAPlater, this may well be your old bbl. It is a stub with a new bbl attached, and the spacing of the studs is a bit odd. I'm thinking I may have to practice my woodworking skills a bit to make a new fore-arm. At least I have a talent for tuning perfectly good wood into perfectly good kindling! Luckily, I have lots of maple to practice on.

I believe one hole of a forearm did fit because I did shoot it. If memory servers it was the rear hole and the front one was about a half inch longer. Good luck with the wood work.