RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionWidenersInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Reloading Everything Repackbox

Thread: Why no barrel swap Winchester M 70 ?

Boolit Master

Why no barrel swap Winchester M 70 ?

I have killed my battery a few times on my little computer searching for post on changing barrels , researching of sorts . I started out researching small ring mauser rebarrel with a pre threatened short chamber barrel , and it seems simple enough so I ordered a action wrench this spring . I held off on ordering the barrel because I wasn't really interested in the light slim barrel that was available from midway but I need to start somewhere . If all goes smoothly I can change the barrel again if I don't like it .
    Now to the m 70 Winchester , I figure wile I'm at it I would like to change a barrel on a push feed Winchester M 70 . I have one with a slim barrel that heats up quick + I would like to change caliber with the same bolt face .
    As I research the old post I come across a lot of information on both large / small ring mauser , as well as Remington 700 , lever action , black powder barrel changing , but not one Winchester m 70 .
    I have a pretty good understanding of the difference in various receivers but it seems changing the barrel on a simple push feed Winchester M 70 should be no more complicated than any other pre threatened short chamber barrel ,,,, so why no threads posting on the subject ?
    I am not planning on any work on the receiver , so I should be able to go back to the original barrel .

Rebarreling a post 64 Win should be straight forward with no drama. No coned breech( maybe a recess), no sandwich recoil lug. You didn't say what it is and what it's going to be- but I smell an interesting thread!

Quote Originally Posted by toallmy View Post

I figure wile I'm at it I would like to change a barrel on a push feed Winchester M 70 .

I would like to change caliber with the same bolt face .

it seems changing the barrel on a simple push feed Winchester M 70 should be no more complicated than any other pre threatened short chamber barrel ,,,, so why no threads posting on the subject ?

Just my WAG, but IMO push-feed post-64 Winchester Model 70's were, and are not, the best basis for a custom re-barreled rifle - so not many get done.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Banned
    Probably because M70s cost a lot more than a whupped 700 or a new Savage.

A CRF gun is more involved but a push feed would be easy ---- and they are cheap.

Boolit Master
    As long as I don't get trapped in the action work ' blueprint , truing ' the simple changing of the barrel shouldn't be overly complicated fitting a barrel seams strait forward no special cuts for a extractor . Just make sure it's threaded the same as the take off , + finishing the chamber .

I just ordered a short chamber mauser barrel from midway for my first project a small ring mauser , but I could see myself experimenting on another one if it goes well .

Boolit Master
    I went back and ordered another barrel for a large ring mauser , I will get it threaded for my Winchester m 70 after I finish the mauser .

Waiting for pics soon.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by toallmy View Post
    I went back and ordered another barrel for a large ring mauser , I will get it threaded for my Winchester m 70 after I finish the mauser .
    You would have been better off to start with a barrel blank. The Mauser threads aren't much larger in diameter but are way coarser in pitch, so you're going to have to cut them off and start over. You may or may not have enough shank left depending on the contour of your new barrel.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Nobade View Post
    You would have been better off to start with a barrel blank. The Mauser threads aren't much larger in diameter but are way coarser in pitch, so you're going to have to cut them off and start over. You may or may not have enough shank left depending on the contour of your new barrel.
    Earlier this week I thought about sending you a p/m asking you a few questions about this before I did it . But either way it will work out . I figured a 24 inch pre threaded stainless 308 could come in handy for tinkering on and at a 150.00. I will do something with it even if there isn't enough shank to thread for my Winchester .
    Texas By God I'm going to have to get my wife's help posting pictures . I want to show you the redfield sight you sent me on my trusty Sears model 54 30-30 . She's a pop can killer now out to 50 yards but I still need to do some longer range test .

Boolit Master
    A mauser large ring tenon turned to 1" dia will have a witness mark about 003/004 deep left by the thread......IMHO,this can be ignored ,and will be hidden by the M70 ring...........1.1-(.0533x2)=.993
    Last edited by john.k; 12-27-2018 at 06:01 AM.

Boolit Master
    I'm dragging this thread out of the weeds and going back at it with a different plan .
    Originally I planned on pulling the slim barrel off of my Win mod 70 in 243 changing it over to 308 . But sentimental love for my model 70 sorta stoped me from taking it apart it's a fine shooting rifle it just heats up quickly , and starts to walk .
    So I was on the look out for a less than desirable large ring to sacrifice without putting a lot of money into it . I found one a year or so ago when talking to a fellow I occasionally run into . He just so happened to have a .765 1909 Argentina converted to a sporter by Interarms that he hasn't shot since the country went to shotgun only for deer hunting , well over 30 years ago . After cleaning it up a little and finding it in decent shape for a rifle that has set in a closet for well over 30 years I decided to try as chambered . It seams to be a 2 -3 inch 100 yard rifle with ease loading Hornady .312 diameter bullets .
    But at last it was to become a 308 Winchester and that is why I picked it up so this week past . I stripped it down to barreled receiver , saturating with penetrating oil for a few days before removing the barrel which I finally got around to yesterday before going to work .
    So now I'm the proud owner of a bunch of gun parts , and my Winchester barrel change turned into a Mauser rebarrel ......
    Picture will be coming - when I can get my beautiful better half interested .....

Boolit Master
    Have to agree with the member who mentioned there wasn't the market for barrel changes on the post '64 puch feed M70's. But the market was there for the pre '64 M70 rifles. Basically it was that model who everyone wanted as a basis for a custom M70. But the newer post '64's were easier to do as there was no coned breechface on the barrel. Most if not all had a flat faced breechface on the barrel. I pulled my old post '64 M70 match rifle in 30-06 from the safe to give her an annual inspection and cleaning. Yep flat faced breech face barrel. Brownells should sell the right receiver wrench for the model 70. Recent catalog 2019 shows them and makes no mention of any differences between the pre '64 and post '64. Been seriously thinking about using the old match rifle for cast bullets. All I need is to get a set of steel bases, Burris zee rings and add a scope which my old Nikon 6.5x20 should do nicely. That and give accurate molds a call as they have a couple of molds I would like definitely like to try. That and try out some of the virgin LC 67 match brass I've been holding onto for a long time. That and clean the garage out so I have room to work. Just put 5- 5000 lumen fixtures in and now I can see what I'm doing. Frank