Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lubing powder coated bullets

Boolit Man

Lubing powder coated bullets

Does anyone lube powder coated bullets?

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    You can do it if you want. It won’t hurt anything, but don’t think you will gain much. Plus the groves tend to get smaller after PCing.

I shoot pc's and don't lube them and haven't seen any reason to. No leading shooting at jacketed velocities. I don't believe you'd be gaining anything by doing it.

Boolit Master
    I have to agree, I can't see any benefits to lubing a powder coated boolit.

Boolit Master
    I’m trying to get some time to lube the 45/70 pc hb 405 bullets I’m using in a trapdoor. Using smokeless they work great but I’m wanting to use bp and need to use lube. Never lubed before and going to try pan lubing.

Boolit Grand Master

If you are going to use BP, I think think a greese cookie is going to be the most important. Otherwise, swab the barrel after each shot. I’m just starting with BP myself. Normally I PC, but now with BP I’m going with paper patching. Maybe others have more experience and advice, but don’t see why you would need greese the boolit even with BP.

Boolit Master

I can't seem to find it but I watched a video a while back where a fellow lubed his powder coated boolits with bacon grease. His velocities increased significantly, perhaps 75-100 fps, if I recall correctly. Rarely necessary, but perhaps a trick for someone trying to squeeze out top velocity.

Boolit Grand Master

I’ve heard PCing increases velocity over plane lubed lead, but never with lubed PC. But who knows? Just have to try it and see what the results are.

Boolit Master
    Going to give these a try with Goex.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	565612D5-CCAA-4F2B-BFFC-B91CA4019C30.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	45.6 KB 
ID:	232785

Boolit Master
    I have done it ya and it seems to give the highest velocity out of the different combinations. kind of a lot of work but if its just for a box or hunting ammo and you want some free fps its alright.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Carrier View Post
    Going to give these a try with Goex.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	565612D5-CCAA-4F2B-BFFC-B91CA4019C30.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	45.6 KB 
ID:	232785
    They sure look nice. How are you going to load them? Are you using a wad or greese cookie? How much BP and how deep do you plan to seat the boolit? 2F Goex?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    They sure look nice. How are you going to load them? Are you using a wad or greese cookie? How much BP and how deep do you plan to seat the boolit? 2F Goex?

Dropped 60 grains of 2F Goex through a homemade 2 foot copper drop tube. Used a .025 white card I got from Track Of The Wolf and compressed the load about a 1/8”. COL is 2.52” according to Spencer Wolf’s book. I used 50/50 beeswax olive oil and pan lubed.
    First time loading with black powder cartridges or pan lubing so hopefully they do what they are supposed to do.
    Last edited by Carrier; 12-27-2018 at 10:15 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Carrier View Post
    Dropped 60 grains of 2F Goex through a homemade 2 foot copper drop tube. Used a .025 white card I got from Track Of The Wolf and compressed the load about a 1/8”. COL is 2.52” according to Spencer Wolf’s book. I used 50/50 beeswax olive oil and pan lubed.
    First time loading with black powder cartridges or pan lubing so hopefully they do what they are supposed to do.
    They look great for first time pan lube. How soon will you shoot them? Be sure to let us know how they work.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    They look great for first time pan lube. How soon will you shoot them? Be sure to let us know how they work.
    I used a silicone baking pan which made taking them out really easy and no lube got on the bottom or in the hollow base.
    I will as soon as I can get out as I want to try them outside at least a hundred yards instead of inside at 27 yards.

Boolit Buddy
    Carrier, I'm interested in your results also. Please write down all the gory details as you do this experiment. Thanks

Boolit Man
    Thanks for the info.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Keep in mind some petro-based lubes can/will soften PC! You sure do not want that to happen over time. You will mot know because it happend down inside the brass case over time.

I would never waste my valuable time lubing PC. That is the main reason we PC anyway....to elimiate messy slimy smoky grease lubes.

Do whatever floats your boat.

Bangerjim

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bangerjim View Post
    Keep in mind some petro-based lubes can/will soften PC! You sure do not want that to happen over time. You will mot know because it happend down inside the brass case over time.

I would never waste my valuable time lubing PC. That is the main reason we PC anyway....to elimiate messy slimy smoky grease lubes.

Do whatever floats your boat.

Bangerjim
    Is this directed at the op or to me?

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by bangerjim View Post
    That is the main reason we PC anyway....to elimiate smoky grease lubes.
    Coating is an added step. This is the only reason I coat

Boolit Buddy
    I recently cast and powder coated some pure lead bullets for 44 Mag/Special for a Winchester 1892. I was worried about softness of pure lead so I went ahead and lubed them for some extra protection. Loaded them at 44 special velocities and they worked great with good accuracy and no leading. I then tried them without lube with the same load and had equally good results so I would say the lube didn't make any useful difference in my application. However, I did not shoot them over a chronograph so I cant speak to any added velocity with lube. Added velocity would be a useful thing if you need it but I'm just shooting for fun so I'm not real worried it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast