Snyders JerkyInline FabricationLee PrecisionReloading Everything
RepackboxTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Load Data Wideners
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: cartridge qualities

Boolit Master
    I started out deer hunting many years ago with a pair of Swedish Mausers in 6.5x55 shooting 129 grain Hornady jacketed bullets over a load of IMR-4350. It is a relatively flat shooting cartridge with minimal recoil, especially in the 29" barrel version I have. The carbine version kicks a little harder, but not really noticeably. And I always got my deer with that caliber. Later, when I tried cast projectiles in it, because of the fast barrel twist, I could only shoot real mellow loads not useful for deer hunting. But I killed a bunch of squirrels with it with cast. Accuracy was outstanding for the 129 grain Hornady's and I killed a deer with the 29" barreled version at about 400 yards using the open sights on the gun. I don't use the rifle much anymore since I mostly shoot cast projectiles and there are far more appropriate calibers for them (45-70).

Boolit Master

Remember that bullets intended purpose is also velocity dependent. Example, hornady 125 grain 30 cal varmit bullets are plumb explosive @ 3500 plus. Down loading my 3006 to 2400 fps and the recoil in my old rem 700 is less than any 30-30 I have shot, but the bullet performed perfectly with large but not excessive exit wounds on the 2 deer my wife shot with that load. Granted, small does and broadside shots, but effective none the less
    "In God we trust, in all others, check the manual!"

Boolit Grand Master
    Recoil issues are dependent on weight & speed of your projectile. There are so many suitable choices it gets down to which is better Ford or Chevy. They both haul you around pretty good. I'm a fan of the 7 x 57, 7mm-08, .30-40 Krag, .30-30. 7.5 x 55 Swiss and many more. As for an easy lever to operate, you just can't get any better than the Henry. It's a butter smooth lever gun, well designed, and backed by a responsive American company. A .30-30 from Henry would be a great choice. They have a new line that I'm not familiar in their lever actions that box feed. Such a gun would allow many caliber choices with spitzer type bullets. Check out a Henry.

Boolit Master
    A Marlin 336 lever should not need to be held shut. It latches shut with the 'trigger safety' depressed when the action is closed/locked, if you must hold it shut it is in need of repair. The Winchester 94 does have the issue of holding the lever closed to fire.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Sounds like the younger ones are best sticking with the .243 for a few more years. It’s an adequate caliber for deer.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    Sounds like the younger ones are best sticking with the .243 for a few more years. It’s an adequate caliber for deer.
    using any off the shelf jsp, I expect at least a 300 yard tracking job with any size deer hit in the lungs with a .243.

Longest tracking job with a 30-30 on a deer hit in the lungs was maybe 30 feet.

Vendor Sponsor

If wanting cast bullets 7x57 or 30-40
    IF Jacketed Only or a real journey down the casting hole the 6.5 x 55
    The 6.5 x 55 has been killing moose in Scandinavia for over 100 years so deer will not be an issue with a well placed shot
    YMMV
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Grand Master

Foget the 30-40 Krag if indeed no one is making the brass any more. You want something you will be able to use for years. I agree that the 7x57 would be an excellent choice if you can find one. 6.5's are available and not overly expensive - we Americans never took to that caliber.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Smith View Post
    Foget the 30-40 Krag if indeed no one is making the brass any more. You want something you will be able to use for years. I agree that the 7x57 would be an excellent choice if you can find one. 6.5's are available and not overly expensive - we Americans never took to that caliber.
    grafs and hornady does.
    https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog...ategoryId/764?

and there's always 303 british brass, it will be short if you fire form it, but you will have some.
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-from-303-Brit

Boolit Master

Springfield O3, 7x57, synthetic stock, great scope, burris rings and bases.
    Barrel of your choice.
    Short length of pull?

Mike

p.s. or 308 and custom reloads, mild and good
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Banned

its a tricky thing

The 7x57 does seem the best choice over all.

Case head
    use of lead being easier
    Least confusion for gunsmitsh, rimmed versus unrimmed cartridge

Its just a matter of a parent rifle. I know a model 98 receiver and action is findable and more then good for it. But im unusual in liking that military trigger.

The only option im coming up with is a 30-06.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by crankycalico View Post
    using any off the shelf jsp, I expect at least a 300 yard tracking job with any size deer hit in the lungs with a .243.

Longest tracking job with a 30-30 on a deer hit in the lungs was maybe 30 feet.
    Every deer I ever shot with a .243 went straight down! Every one! All shot with Remington 100 gr corelokt through the lungs.
    USMC 6638

Quote Originally Posted by oldblinddog View Post
    Every deer I ever shot with a .243 went straight down! Every one! All shot with Remington 100 gr corelokt through the lungs.
    Exact same here except I've used 80 gr bullets. My current .243 loves 95 gr NBT. My daughter likes the Federal Fusion bullet. I grew up killing deer DRT with a 22-250 so the .243 is just more gravy weight.

Boolit Master
    My daughter’s rifle is a Remington 700 with a short stock and 20” barrel in .243. (She’s 5’0”) Only one in the family now, but it still works.
    USMC 6638

Boolit Buddy
    Recoil isn't a consideration for me, but if it were 6.5x55 would be the easy choice, I wouldn't think twice.

Loading up jacked rounds for recoil shy shooters you'll be able to get flat shooting with great terminal performance and downright friendly recoil.

Hunting bullet selection for 6.5's is currently excellent, and the high SD of the caliber gives you all of the penetration you could ever need while the bullet selection ensures you can get enough expansion for your liking.

But really 7x57 is hardly leaving much on the table in comparison. And frankly neither is the .243, with careful bullet selection and loading.
    How much do you want to buy a new rifle? I don't like the 770 very much.

And if you are going to want to cast for it, do yourself a favour and don't do it with any of the .243/6.5/7mm. Low recoil and flat shooting are mutually exclusive from easy to cast for generally.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    The .30-06 has been my lifetime favorite cartridge. I still have three and have had a number of others. However, if I were starting today, I would strongly consider the .308 instead. Ballistics are almost the same and there is a lot of ammo and brass available. Before you step up that much, have you considered the .270 round?

The 6.5 is difficult to cast for, at least if your going for sub MOA.

The .243 as others have said, has taken a lot of deer. You may need to stay with jacketed bullets, but you already have the rifle. You could let the young ones keep using it for the time being, and get something bigger for yourself and one that is easy to cast for. My favorite is .45-70.

You seem to to like the 30-30. That’s the historical American deer round. I once had one in bolt action, but I think they are rare today.

7x57 I don’t have any experience with. There are other less popular rounds too that could serve you. When do y plan to make this purchase? Will you be hunting before next spring? If not you have time to research more.

If it was me I'd get a cast rifle that could be loaded up or down with jacketed.

Do 158 grain jacketed typically work well in 358 Winchester's?

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Smoke4320 View Post
    If wanting cast bullets 7x57 or 30-40
    IF Jacketed Only or a real journey down the casting hole the 6.5 x 55
    The 6.5 x 55 has been killing moose in Scandinavia for over 100 years so deer will not be an issue with a well placed shot
    YMMV
    Right. Granted they are often not as big as some of your moose but whitetails are smaller still.
    I've never shot a 30-30 but I hear they are very similar in terms of recoil and the 6.5 gives a bit more leeway whith distance.
    People seem to like the Woodleigh and Hornady 160 gr soft point and of course the Norma and Lapua offerings. It does like longer barrels though but so does the .243.
    Tikka T3 or T3X are very popular rifles and generally considered at the top of their price class and I think they are cheaper on your side of the pond. The bolt is very slick and easy to work.

Banned

Any of the ones you mention are fine with jacketed. I've only worked with one Swede and it was a PITA, traded it off as partial credite for a nicely sporterized Krag and I love it.

I killed my first deer with a 7x57 and cast this year, had killed a lot using cast in .30 and bigger, turns out 7mm works just fine too, just takes a little more thought.

Personally, if I wasn't settled on exactly what I wanted to do, no question the .30-06 is the most versatile. Load it down to rim fire recoil levels or up to make it a legit grizzle round, it'll do it all.

Banned

6.5x55 for hard hitting and very soft recoil for the ladies

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast