Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersSnyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionLoad DataRepackboxRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Any Great Tricks to Drying Cases After Wet tumbling?

Boolit Master

Any Great Tricks to Drying Cases After Wet tumbling?

Santa brought me a rotary tumbler for use with ceramic media and liquid. First time using it today I ended up with a big pile of wet brass and ceramic media. I’ve got it spread out on a few towels and on a few small screens.

What do you do? After you tumble and rinse, do you spread the brass and media out on a big towel? On an old window screen? I live on the precipitation side of the Pacific Northwet. I could turn on a room fan.

What has your experience shown you?

Boolit Master

That is exactly what I do-spread media and brass out on towel(s). Get you an old pillow sham (slip) and throw only the brass in it, keep one end closed and shake around. This dries a good part of the water off. I'm finicky with mine and after drying in pillow slip I place on towel standing straight up or you can just let em fall where they may. I use stainless steel pins, this gets the primer pocket good and clean providing you de-prime brass beforehand. What solution are you using to clean?
    The unexamined life is not worth living....Socrates
    Pain, is just weakness leaving the body....USMC
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is FINAL!....Wyatt Earp

Boolit Master

I used to lay them on a towel and dry them on the outside with a second towel on top using a back and forth rolling action, then let them dry overnight. I now have changed direction. I bought the large Oster convection oven at Wally World for PCing. Now I put my cleaned cases in a mesh pan and pop them into the Oster at the lowest temperature setting which I believe is 200F. for 30 minutes. Take them out and let cool for 30 minute and they are dry and ready to store or load. That size oven will handle whatever amount you can fit in you tumbler (unless you are using something like a cement mixer).

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by retread View Post
    I used to lay them on a towel and dry them on the outside with a second towel on top using a back and forth rolling action, then let them dry overnight. I now have changed direction. I bought the large Oster convection oven at Wally World for PCing. Now I put my cleaned cases in a mesh pan and pop them into the Oster at the lowest temperature setting which I believe is 200F. for 30 minutes. Take them out and let cool for 30 minute and they are dry and ready to store or load. That size oven will handle whatever amount you can fit in you tumbler (unless you are using something like a cement mixer).
    Retread- if you can send me that part# of the Oster, you just reminded me of what I've been wanting to buy. TY
    The unexamined life is not worth living....Socrates
    Pain, is just weakness leaving the body....USMC
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is FINAL!....Wyatt Earp

Boolit Master
    Go to walmart and get a delicate mesh laundry bag. Put the cases in it and swing it over your head to get the heavy water out then hang it in front of a fan till it dries. Trust me don’t put it in the dryer
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Boolit Master
    My dad uses a food dehydrator that he found at a garage sale. Works very well.

Boolit Buddy
    I use a cheap food dehydrator from the discount store.

30 mins at the lowest setting (70c or 158f) and the brass is dry.

I see now that Lyman and Hornady are now marketing re-badged food dehydrators as brass driers and asking 4 times what you'd pay in a discount store.

Boolit Bub
    Just pick up an old cookie sheet,dump the brass on it,pre heat your oven on the low setting usually 200.The brass will be dry in about 15min or there about.No muss no fuss.

Banned

I use the FA case dryer
    Works perfectly like the FART
    https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/30...saAgXvEALw_wcB

Boolit Bub
    I have been drying washed cases for over 30 years. Have tries all the methods mentioned already and have settled on the food dehydrator as the absolute BEST way to dry the cases. Best of luck, you will have the hang of it soon and many clean cases.

Roy

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by 25ring View Post
    Just pick up an old cookie sheet,dump the brass on it,pre heat your oven on the low setting usually 200.The brass will be dry in about 15min or there about.No muss no fuss.
    This is what I've been doing for several years but on bottleneck cases, I put a cooling rack on the cookie sheet and stand the brass up. By skipping every other hole, I can get a few over 250 per sheet. My oven's low temp is 170 and I fold a towel to keep the door open. At least it makes me believe it causes an air flow.
    "The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."--Plato

Boolit Buddy

I'm the oddball here I guess. After wet tumbling I get as much water out as possible, then throw them in a f.a. vibratory tumbler with walnut media without the lid for a couple hours works very well for me.

Boolit Master
    This is all really helpful information, thanks guys!

Dieselhorses I’m using the solution sold at Shiloh, and I bought the ceramic media from them too.

Moderator Emeritus

I use a window screen. Kept after window replacement, it works well. After several years using it, though, with me living in a high-precipitation locale in East -- I impulse-bought a Frankfort dryer -- now a few pennies under $44.00 at Amazon -- https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00RPABBG0...l_44n1vfxmax_e -- and have yet to have any regrets making this purchase.
    geo

Banned

That is a good price for a good tool.
    Food dehydrators work well as noted above.

Hair dryer, brass lightly tumbled on a clean towel here’s on high, works perfectly.

Moderator Emeritus

Another food dehydrator here. From memory I set mine around 100 degrees and leave em overnight. Good luck

Boolit Master
    I mainly dry tumble, with corn cob and Dillon Rapid Polish, but smaller, more stubborn lots (read: large, black powder cartridges) go into my little *** Harbor Freight rock tumbler with stainless steel pins, LemiShine, and a bit of detergent... Works GREAT!
    I would be leery of ceramic media, and it possibly spalling, and contaminating the brass. I've had cross contamination from Silicon Carbide dust a decade ago that ruined brass and dies. Anything used for brass is ONLY used for brass, and the rock tumbling stuff is used and stored separately from brass processing. Everything is marked with a Sharpie...
    Drying is simple: After washing off the brass, it goes onto an old cookie sheet, and into a WARM oven, about 160 degrees... Nowhere near hot enough to alter the molecular structure of the brass.
    I'm in SW Washington, fully understand about rain... Hoping for a break in the weather so I can cast a bit.
    Best of Luck!

-Tom

USMC 77, USRA 79

Lots of good ideas here.... this is what I do... cuz I love cooking on my wood stove.

Brass, it’s whats for dinner.

Attachment 232734

Marko
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Boolit Master
    After tumbling with SS pins (Cascade dishwashing machine powdered detergent + Tablespoon of TSP + ½ teaspoon of lemi-shine) for 3 hrs I twist a half sheet of paper towel into each case. The paper towel still shows a little fouling coming out on the paper towel + the water. I snip off ½” off twisted wet & dirty towel every 2 cases. Maybe I need more time in the tumbler?
    Last edited by greenjoytj; 01-02-2019 at 09:14 AM. Reason: Spelling

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast