I usually still hunt, and take a few basics with me: two bottles of water, snack in a slide lock bag (granola bar, nuts, yogurt covered raisins, etc.), 50' of 36# tarred nylon, emergency poncho, change of wool socks, wet wipes, nitrile gloves, spare folding knife, fire aids, whistle. This usually gets put in a small fanny pack that I wear slung over one shoulder like a satchel. Attached to the zipper pulls are large safety pins to pin tags to large game. On days where significant weather variations are expected, I will put it in a bookbag sized pack so I have room for spare layers to add later or store those I take off. When orange is required, I have an orange panel that is pinned to the backpack. Spare ammo is kept in pockets, and one of those key ring squeeze lights is attached to my key fob. I carry a 3.5" fixed blade knife on my hip. If I am going to be in an unfamiliar area, I print out a topo map and keep it in a ziplock bag in my back pocket in the event my phone battery dies.

Either pack can be used as a makeshift rest in some field positions, but I normally use natural objects or try to get closer. If varmint hunting in the summer, I take an extra bottle of water and usually skip the snacks and poncho.