MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
PBcastcoReloading EverythingWidenersInline Fabrication
Lee Precision Repackbox
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hunting bag

Boolit Master
    Something to eat and drink ,knife ,lighter, cord ,plastic bags ,wet wipes, nitrile gloves ,compass, phone turned off .extra ammo in jacket pocket .sometimes a machete to get to awkward spots.

Super Moderator

I carry a day pack with a couple of buck knives, game bags, gloves, a knit cap, flashlight, and extra batteries. I also carry some snacks, water, paper towels, space blanket and a small first aid kit and a lighter. I always have a map and compass, as well as a GPS. Cell phone if in an area that has service, both mostly there isn't where I usually hunt.

Boolit Master
    I have been told in various CPR classes and trainings that even if you don't have phone service you are suppose to be able to call 911. I always have mine.
    Doug
    .................................................. ........................................
    Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Taxidermists are cheaper than surgeons....keep shooting

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Some people measure success in Minutes of Angle

I rarely hunt more than 1/2 mile from my truck. In my pack there is: rubber gloves; zip ties; drink; snack; knife; bow/gun hoist; range finder; binoculars; extra ammo; flashlight and change of batteries for it; lighter/matches.
    When I get a deer I'll drive as close as possible and use a deer cart or sled to get the deer to the truck.
    Last edited by Moleman-; 12-28-2018 at 04:16 PM.

For me it depend on what i am after. if it is small game just a over the shoulder bag . If it is for deer it will depend on if it is for bow or muzzle loader.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dk17hmr View Post
    I have been told in various CPR classes and trainings that even if you don't have phone service you are suppose to be able to call 911. I always have mine.
    Any cell phone, with or without paid service, will call 911. If you have no cellular reception your phone doesn't work.
    Most people would sooner die than think, in fact, they do so. -B. Russell

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Good Lord old chap! Coffee!?
    Are the Yanks winning?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    Well, my wife (she is a Yank) drinks coffee in the morning and thinks I need a cup in the tree stand on those cold winter mornings. But come the middle of the afternoon I have these terrific withdrawal feelings unless I have my tea and crumpet.

Back when I deer hunted, I only walked in for less than a mile and never stayed in a blind more than 3-4 hours.
    The only thing 'extra' I carried was TP, a book, something quiet to eat, and a quart canteen of water.
    It all went into a 5 gal. bucket that was also my chair.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Buddy
    My blinds are only 300-400 yds from the trailer we stay in. My backpack usually has an extra top layer or two, (if cold, heat packs, extra gloves and headgear), extra mag, calls and my dslr with 100-400mm lens.

Tomorrow my pockets will contain Christmas candy. But not for long probably.

Moderator Emeritus

Black powder I have 2-3 preloaded tubes to dump powder and load bullets. Flask, caps, cleaning pick, jag and patches. Also knife, flint and steel, lighter, flashlight, gloves & knit hat depending on weather.
    Smokeless 1/2 mile from the truck I have 4-5 cartridges, binos, knife, flashlight, firestarters, gloves and hat depending on weather. Usually have a plastic bag for the heart. Packed in a pocket.
    More than a mile from the truck, I add water, snack, emergency blanket, candle, compass and a map depending on how well I know the area. I have personal knowledge from searches that cell services work better with texts than calls. My elk area is about 35 miles away from cell service.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    If carrying TP you might want a little Gardening Trowel ro dig a cat pit so you can bury things afterwards.

Boolit Master on Heaven’s Range
    I have a backpack, and in it goes.
    thermos of coffee
    lunch- sandwich
    peperoni
    swiss cheese
    small chocolate bars
    small flash light
    buck knife
    binoculars
    extra batteries
    compass
    mountain money (TP)
    nitrile gloves
    license
    extra ammo
    Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy!
    Ben Franklin

Thanks for all the replies to this thread, it's been very interesting. I haven't ever had the chance to go on an extended hunt. I mostly hunt on the 18 acre farm.

I like to ground hunt for deer, so I made a large pad to set on. It's about 20" x 30" doubled cardboard that has been duct taped together and completely covered on one side. It has a handle hole cut on one end and cordage attached to make shoulder straps for ease carry. I normally take a small backpack and my pad will go on my back, over that. Not perfect but it insulates pretty good.

In my pack I have a spare knife, lens wipes, DMT fine sharpening stone, pencil and paper/pad, water bottles, snacks, extra rifle ammo, Q tips, book. I always have on me hunting or not, carry gun and reload, belt knife (buck192 or 110), leatherman original, pocket knife, ear plugs, small bottle of oil, zippo, streamlight stylus pro flashlight, hanky, paracord keychain.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    What ever I take fits in my pockets. Flashlight, knife, ammo, guttin gloves, cell phone, ID, and my license. I keep as much of the bulk and weight down as possible. If I’m sitting all day I’ll take a trail bar or apple on rare occasions.

....OH! And as always I roll up a little TP and stash it in one of my pockets so I don’t have to make some makeshift toilet paper out of my underware and donate them the forest floor and cover with leaves.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 01-14-2019 at 11:07 AM.

I went back and re-read the hole thread. I'd like to hear more of what others take afield.

Boolit Grand Master
    Well, it varies. Many of the above as details of the day demand. When it's a "TP" day, wet wipes are added. My most productive tree stand (referred to as a tree house) is about 70 yards from the house, so most everything extra is superfluous. On hunts away, as I said, many of the above are taken in a day pack, determined by the weather / distance / game / etc. Two items not noted are extra ammo sealed away in a unit from the vacuum sealer. Makes a nice clean, water tight, QUIET, package set aside in a pocket within. Also, I take a good length of webbing as my drag rope. There is a permanent loop sewn one end for either a simple noose to attach to game or switch around for an over the shoulder drag feature. The webbing rolls into a small unit and is much, much easier on the shoulder when under the strain of the drag.

Boolit Master
    In a group hunt (moose) I have a bag I can carry on my back and/ or sit on. I have sandwiches,sausages,coffee in a thermos. Boiled eggs, apples maybe. Those days can get long. Rope, plastic bag, dog leash,a little saw,lots of stuff.

Solo deer hunt is the opposite, no bag,no food, only a Leatherman,ammo,rifle. Bare minimum.

Boolit Buddy
    I keep a backpack ready with a couple of knives, nitrile gloves, sharpie for filling out tags and some small zip ties for attaching tags. A few disposable hand warmers, a pair of gloves and stocking hat (we don't always need them in Tx). Binoculars, a grunt and bleet call, spare ammo and a good flash light, a lighter, a short length of rope and some paracord and some TP.
    Sounds like a lot when I write it down but it's really not

Most hunts are within a mile or so of my vehicle.
    2 bottles water
    Light lunch of Sandwich chips Crackers
    Extra jacket.
    2 knifes
    Paracord 15 ft maybe
    Emergency blanket
    Lighter
    Tags
    Pen
    Cell Phone
    Flash light
    Batteries.