RepackboxTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Load DataWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hunting bag

Boolit Grand Master

Hunting bag

What does everyone pack with them on their person (not back at camp or truck) when you go hunting? For me it depends on my game. I won’t mention what I bring as I’m curious what everyone else carries and how (backpack, satchel, etc).

Boolit Master
    These days I only hunt deer. I normally use a small daypack to carry gear depending on which weapon I’m hunting with. For crossbow I have an extra three arrows, rail lube, and laser range finder. For gun season it’s a ten pack of extra rifle rounds. Muzzleloader season gets a small bag with powder, measure, REAL bullets, lube, caps, small mallet and range rod.

I always carry a zipper bag with drag rope, Mora knife, Fiskers saw, game tags, Ziplock baggies, and rubber gloves for game recovery. Additionally I’ll have binoculars, water bottle, snacks, a small trauma kit, Shemagh/scarf, gloves, knit hat, foam pad to sit on, and maybe my iPad if hunting from a blind. If it’s warm I bring a Therma Cell for the skeeters, if it’s cold those Hot Hands self heaters.

The whole thing may weigh eight pounds.

A S&W 317 Airweight 8 shot .22, loaded with .22 shorts in a belt holster when hunting Elk cause a 300 WBY is good for everything else. A .41 mag 4-5/8's" BH in a leather holster with a 41 mag Henry Big Boy for deer.

Doc, I misunderstood. For hike in elk hunting I use a camel back mid sized pack with water bladder on a cabelas outfitters pack frame. Includes fire starting tablets, waterproof matches, lighter, and ferostick, mountain money (TP). Latex gloves, cable ties, para cord, aspirin, leather gloves, head lamp, light weight rain gear, 2 knives, small saw, knife sharpener and snacks for 2 days. A GPS with 3 sets of rechargeable batteries, a Brunton compass, a ham radio, a mirror, a space blanket and a large plastic bag. Pack frame has, laser range finder, and binoculars , 2 large muslin game bags, a 10 ft piece of 1/4" rope, numerous straps to tie game quarters to the frame. Stocking hat and wool vest or winter jacket depending on weather.

For deer, I add knife to gun belt, and stick waterbottle, gps, ham radio, snacks and fire starter packet in the hunting coat pockets.
    Last edited by Minerat; 12-26-2018 at 11:55 PM. Reason: Added info.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Where I hunt I'm never more than a mile away from the truck (or my house). But I always carry a handgun, a belt knife and 2 pocket knives, binocs, a garbage bag, nitrile gloves, reading glasses, ink pen, and bread ties. If I'm hunting alone I carry 10' of paracord or some such to assist field dressing. Plus whatever water, coffee and snacks I need in the blind.

In my huting bag , a couple knives , folding saw , 30 ‘ paracord, tags, rifle sling , gun sock , range finder, drag harness. On me licences, spare ammo , small game loads, cell phone ( turned off till needed)

Nothing special, just the stuff in my pockets every day (wallet, pocket knife, pen, etc.). No special clothes either, just my ordinary work clothes. Once upon a time I liked to wear a tweed jacket and a tie, but I haven't done so in awhile.

Boolit Buddy
    I carry a wool haversack made by G Fred Asbell. It is quiet and doesn't have Velcro or zippers and you can get in and out of it without any noise. Knives,compass, permits,cordage,snacks,bottle of water. I sling it over my shoulder and go.

Boolit Master

Been a while since I last hunted. When I did I would carry a length of rope (550), cigarette lighter, 2 knives, compass, striking paper, cell phone, pen.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Master and Dean of Balls

zip ties, binoculars, a compass, a knife, a canteen of water, 20' of 550 cord, a pack of matches in a ziplock bag and a wad of toilet paper.

The toilet paper is not for fire starting. I have pocket lint for that.

if I have them, a few thin mint girl scout cookies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodore Roosevelt
    No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it.

Boolit Buddy

For deer huinting I carry a small shoulder bag ( my wife calls it my murse). 4" fixed Gerber 3" folding knife to cut binoculars folding wsaw 25' para cord. Small carabiniers cover and attracitive sents. Sent bombs. Rattle and grunt calls. bottled Water candy bars. Lens cloth. Probably more but can't think of anything now

Plus one on the TP ! For small game hunting a few extra shells and my everyday stuff , pocket knife lighter phone , smokes and a ziplock bag for the skinned critters. For deer about the same stuff I'll put in a small back pack except for a length of dragging rope and a few snacks and my thermos full of coffee . But I'm never much way out there in the wilderness maybe a mile or less at most from my dad's place
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Boolit Master
    My everyday carry will consist of two knives, lighter, reading glasses,keys, nitro, chewing tobacco and a small diamond sharpening plate. When hunting I usually carry a rifle as well as a pistol I pack a couple extra cartridges for the rifle in my hunting coat. I also carry an extra lighter and a sandwich baggie of TP plus at least one varmint call.

I’m rarely more than a couple hundred yds from my 4 wheeler, camp or home.
    Elk hunting is a slightly different story. But I have saddle bags on my horse which I’m never far from.
    Some people live and learn but I mostly just live

Boolit Master
    For deer hunting, while wearing my tweed jacket, camel hair hat and a tie, I prefer a two quart Thermos of coffee as opposed to the tea now-a-days, plus some crumpets and a couple of extra cartridges for my 303 British.

Boolit Master

This is when I am on a 10 day or week hunt and this is what I take when I leave the tent:

day pack, matches, propane lighter, knives, map of area, compass, parachute cord, space blanket, baked potatoes, canned ham, fish hooks and line, light rain poncho, led light, whistle, flare, TP and alum foil, collapsible drinking cup, candle and, small leatherman tool.

This is when hunting in Montana, Wyoming or New Mexico and venturing out on the day hunt by myself after a long haul into the wilderness and having set up camp.
    Last edited by skeettx; 12-26-2018 at 09:52 PM.
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Master
    I use a fanny pack type thing that has a shoulder harness http://www.badlandspacks.com/monster-camo-fanny-pack . Inside it has binoculars, range finder , two lighters , two mini maglites , four knives , several pairs rubber gloves , bottle of some kind of drink , small bag of English walnuts , two pieces chocolate candy , two disposable hand warmers and my keys . That’s for deer . When I go to the preserve for pheasents what I carry goes in my game vest usually 25 shells a knife , bottle of water , hand warmers and a couple pieces of chocolate . In the past I didn’t carry chocolate but now I do in case my sugar level drops and I get the shakes .
    Last edited by 6pt-sika; 12-26-2018 at 10:03 PM.
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

In Remembrance - Super Moderator & Official Cast Boolits Sketch Artist

Cord, knife, multi tool, bottle water, cloth shower curtain (it will block wind and rain if needed) lighter, TP, gloves, gloves, optics, snacks,extra rounds, therm cell for sketters summer, small gas heater when its extra cold, charger for my phone, extra batteries, 2 flashlights and a head lamp, folding limb saw, hand shears, finger nail clippers, some tampons and a few other odds and ends.
    This is my go to back back when I go deer hunting this pack goes with me never fails some guy will need batteries or a light or TP lol.
    I do not have to pack this very far so weight is not a big deal to me I lighten it up if I was lugging it in on a hike. The shower curtain has paid off more then one time getting hit with a rain shower or needing to lay down on the wet ground and it will block the wind on a cold day.
    Oh the nail clippers just get that hang nail that you just cant leave alone and you keep messing with it until its pulled back to the tender spot and is bleeding.
    Reloading to save money I am sure the saving is going to start soon

Boolit Master
    I am rarely more than a mile from home, so a pocket knife, 3 to 4 inch fixed blade knife, water and my phone if I remember it. There is always a Ziploc of mountain money in my hunting pants pocket and if the rifle is a single shot I drop a couple more rounds in my jacket pocket. Other pocket may have some snacks, depends on how long I plan to be out. I rarely drag deer anymore, field dress them and then back to the house for the tractor. Small game is about the same only more ammo and a game bag or vest. Turkey adds a call or 2 to the deer equipment and an orange bag for the bird! I might use some camo for turkeys but never really wear camo so some carhart pants and flannel or wool depending on weather. Not much on all the stuff the TV "pro hunters" wanna sell....
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Master
    Tripod, spotter, GPS, cell phone, paper map, compass, kestrel, range finder, Binos in harness on my chest, water in a nalgon bottle, food/snacks, flashlight, headlamp, blue tarp, game bags, lighter, folding replaceable blade knife with extra blades, small t handle saw, zip ties, survey tape, TP/paper towel, chapstick, tags, collapsible scissors, tweezers, Benadryl, elk call and bugle tube if hunting during the rut, and what ever I need for the weapon I'm hunting with. I usually put a couple rifle rounds in my bino harness as spares. If I have a pistol it's either a 380 or 32. Always have a pocket knife on me. If it's going to be hot and I know I'll run out of water I'll bring a lifestraw. I day hunt and am back at camp or home at night.
    Doug
    .................................................. ........................................
    Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Taxidermists are cheaper than surgeons....keep shooting

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Some people measure success in Minutes of Angle

Quote Originally Posted by DonMountain View Post
    For deer hunting, while wearing my tweed jacket, camel hair hat and a tie, I prefer a two quart Thermos of coffee as opposed to the tea now-a-days, plus some crumpets and a couple of extra cartridges for my 303 British.
    Good Lord old chap! Coffee!?
    Are the Yanks winning?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I remember as a teenager when I started deer hunting, I had (still have) a blaze orange backpack that I carried everything under the sun the 1st few years. Extra socks, jacket, gloves, 4-5 knives, rope, hand/feet warmers, hats, ect.. Now I carry gut'n gloves, extra few rounds of ammo, extra knife. Live and learn. Excess gets heavy.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast