WidenersSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionLoad DataInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oven for Powder Coating...

Boolit Mold

Oven for Powder Coating...

Hello, long time lurker here first time posting, great site. I am brand new to powder coating so bear with me please. I need to get an oven and I see a lot of them for sale second hand but I'm not sure what to get. I see there are conventional, convection ovens etc. As I understand it convection ovens heat better but they use fans inside of them....will this blow the powder coating off the items that are placed in the oven? I know where there is a big 'ole honking, built like a tank, farberware turbo oven from the 1970's like new for 25 bucks but am afraid it will be too powerful and blow off the powder. I need something that is counter top as I don't have room for a full size oven...What do ya'll think? Thanks for any tips and or advice on this ... Merry Christmas!!
    Last edited by basenjib123; 12-25-2018 at 04:09 AM.

While I've got a smaller conventional toaster oven (which work great btw) I don't think you have to worry about the powder being blown off the bullets. It wipes off pretty easy but is still pretty sticky. I think it would work just fine.

Boolit Master

convection ovens are the preferred ones, they heat more evenly. no they will not blow off properly applied pc. keep your trays away from the heat elements by putting an empty tray above your boolits or below depending on where the elements are, more people ruin their boolits by melting them than having pc be blown off.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    Convection is best.
    Rancher1913 is correct, either have some distance or another pan between your boolit pan and the elements, or preheat your oven before putting the boolits in. Remember, during warmup, an oven can overshoot by a hundred degreesą before it settles back to your preset temperature. This can cause boolit slump or even complete melting of some alloys.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Vendor Sponsor

a good convection oven is by far the best for powdercoating .. Even heat with the fan .. No cold or Hot spots
    Do NOT I repeat DO NOT trust the readout or dial on your oven . get you another thermometer for inside the oven and confirm temps ..
    many many ovens will be 50+/- degrees wrong on the readout .. Mine is 375 to get an actual 400 internal temp and takes 8 minutes to preheat to 400
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Master
    I got a B&D convection toaster oven at Wmart @ $50 as I remember and a $4 oven oven thermometer that I use to confirm 400 degrees for start-up preheat. I confirm it's holding a steady 400 degrees for at least 5 min before I remove the thermometer and start baking. I bake 2 trays at a time with 120 ~ 150 boolits on a tray depending on the caliber. I bake for 20 min and it works like a charm.

Banned
    I found a good Oster 2 shelf convection oven at a thrift store for $20
    I've used this one for 3 years https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

FYI recheck your ovens temp setting anytime the surrounding temperature changes. most countertop ovens thermostats are not insulated and are affected by the room temp

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Always check your oven (conv or standard) with a high quality oven thermometer. Check in several spots! Thermostats on all those cheap-o (under $75-100) ovens are just simple bi-metal strips and are about as accurate as the side of a barn, I went thru 3 junk store ovens before I shelled out $150+ for a GOOD high-end Oster digital controlled convection oven. Same as all these PID things people try to build...right off the shelf. Works great and room for over 600 boolits at a time in there.

After years of messing around with junk ovens I found..................it only costs a little more to fly 1st class.

banger

Boolit Master
    Counter top?... you aren't planning on useing this inside are you. The smell from baking the powder coat is noxious and not something I'd want in my house.

If done correctly the powder coat is stuck on pretty good. I'm guessing the turbo fan wouldn't effect it.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I know covection ovens are really popular. I have a normal one and it works great for me. Also, I don’t preheat. I just put them in and turn it on for 40 minutes.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by bangerjim View Post
    I shelled out $150+ for a GOOD high-end Oster digital controlled convection oven.

banger

What model number is yours?

Boolit Buddy
    what another option check out Eastwoods powder coat table top oven and it is insulated , internal dims 16 W x 14 D x 8 H

Boolit Mold
    Well tried this old Farberware Turbo Oven and it blew the powder right off, lol. Too bad because this thing was made 40 years ago in the USA and could survive a nuclear blast, not like the junk they make today. When they say Turbo ... they meant it!!!
    Last edited by basenjib123; 01-01-2019 at 11:13 AM.

I got my little toaster oven at Walmart for $15. It has upper and lower heating elements, a timer and a temp control knob. Removable tray and rack.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays...k-Pan/54514797

Most cheap toaster ovens are to small for my liking. So I bought a convection pizza oven from Wally, $50. It has two racks & if careful, I can do 500-600 a pop. The therm is a bit off but check with an oven thermometer & set the dial accordingly for 400deg.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Vendor Sponsor

https://www.amazon.com/Oster-Countertop-Convection-Stainless-TSSTTVDGXL-SHP/dp/B00OXSR486/ref=asc_df_B00OXSR486/?tag=bingshoppinga-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid={creative}&hvpos={adpositio n}&hvnetw=o&hvrand={random}&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt= e&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl={devicemodel}&hvlocint=&hvlocph y=&hvtargid=pla-4584413735555329&psc=1

Oster Extra Large Digital Countertop Convection Oven, Stainless Steel (TSSTTVDGXL-SHP)

Walmart will run these on sale for $79.95 from time to time .. Its an excellent oven for PC
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Master
    I have two Hamilton Beach Countertop Convection Ovens, one of which has served me well since 2012 and it started it's life several years before that as our home oven that we seldom used. The second new model HB I saw at the local Goodwill for $20 less 30% senior discount, so I couldn't pass on what looked like a new oven. Both these ovens easily go to 400 degrees and hold the temp with almost no fluctuation; checked with a serviceman's thermometer. They come with two wire racks and will accommodate 5 racks. If you are first starting out I really recommend the HB ovens.

Boolit Master

I went all out and paid $8 for a used oven. I wish you all could convince me that Temp is that critical, maybe my eyes will open someday. Not trying to diminish your efforts into perfection,or trying to prod you guys, just saying maybe Temp is not that critical. Unless my powder is less forgiving.

I used the Low heat method 250F at 13 minutes and had no problems..Of course, that is 250 f on my oven and my industrial powder -White, Black onyx, and Silver. The stuff would not scratch off and shot good with no leading

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by randyrat View Post
    I went all out and paid $8 for a used oven. I wish you all could convince me that Temp is that critical, maybe my eyes will open someday. Not trying to diminish your efforts into perfection,or trying to prod you guys, just saying maybe Temp is not that critical. Unless my powder is less forgiving.

I used the Low heat method 250F at 13 minutes and had no problems..Of course, that is 250 f on my oven and my industrial powder -White, Black onyx, and Silver. The stuff would not scratch off and shot good with no leading
    How do you know your oven was at 250?

Boolit Master

That is why I said; "Of course, that is 250 f on my oven and my industrial powder -White, Black onyx, and Silver. "
    I did a batch at 350 in my oven also for 13 minutes, same results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast