Inline FabricationStainLess Steel MediaGraf & SonsWideners
RepackboxRotoMetals2

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Pistol caliber carbines Plusses and Minuses--your opinion?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Michel View Post
    (QUOTE) I like the look of the Henry Big Boy Steel in .327 Fed Mag. But I bet it won't cycle my little .32sw longs. So it turns it into a 900$ single shot.

FWIW, My .327 Henry cycles .32 S&W longs just fine. Henry will tell you point blank your not supposed too, but do not explain as to why.
    I suspect it has to do with lead or brass ringing the chamber at the end of the case mouth. When you fire a gun, there can be a buildup of lead or bullet jacket residue at where the case mouth ends in the chamber. A ring of the stuff can build up right there and prevent cartridges from chambering properly. I remember seeing it happen with my .357 mag revolver when I fired a lot of .38 specials through it. Then later when I tried using .357 mag rounds, the cartridges wouldn't chamber. It was a real PITA to clean out the chambers too. With jacketed bullets, some of the jacket might get sloughed off building up a even more difficult ring to remove. Sort of like having a piece of the cartridge case getting stuck in the chamber.

But yes, I keep looking at the lever action rifles chambered in .327 Federal myself too.
    Last edited by Earlwb; 01-04-2019 at 09:36 AM. Reason: add more info

(QUOTE) I like the look of the Henry Big Boy Steel in .327 Fed Mag. But I bet it won't cycle my little .32sw longs. So it turns it into a 900$ single shot.

FWIW, My .327 Henry cycles .32 S&W longs just fine. Henry will tell you point blank your not supposed too, but do not explain as to why.
    Thank you very much sir, you might have just talked me into a Henry!

[QUOTE=Texas by God;4540568]The semi pointed, hard FMJ bullets in 9mm and .45 auto cartridges may set off a mag tube detonation in a traditional lever gun. .40/10mm have always had FPJ as a rule. I'm just surmising. They would be fun in a lever but no more so than a .38 Special or .45 LC already is.[/QUO
    CAS requires the use of lead bullets which have to be flat pointed to be safe in tubular magazine rifles. No round point jacketed bullets are safe as you pointed out. But in reality I would rather have lead bullets in my sd gun than fmj if those were my only choices.

Boolit Master

Perhaps chamber buildup might be the reasoning although they, Henry encourage the interchangeability of the .327 and the .32 mag in spite of the case length difference. I believe it might of resulted in inconsistency with chambering of the shorter cartridges. Yes, mine feeds just fine but yours may not may be the case. Reduce the amount a variables and the consumer complaints are proportionately reduced. Just my opinion, others will surely differ.
    Before you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves.

― Confucius

Well I am not going to bite without a chance to pick up and feel.

Was at the right store yesterday when all heck broke loose. I was burping like a toliet hooked to an air line not a water hose, stomach cramps. I threw money at my wife to buy the pants we'd look at trotted to the little boys room. Time I got out I was ready for home.

Not like I really NEED another gun anyway.

Found a guy on Gun Broker, he's 250 miles away in St Paul, has 23 of em for sale at just under 700$.

Maybe I'll wait and hit one of those big city sporting goods stores.

Next week the Wife and I are off on adventure #2. New Orleans, then the gulf coast I'm thinking Galveston ish area. Spend a couple of weeks laying on the beach during the worst of the North Dakota Winter. Take that you bugger!

Perhaps chamber buildup might be the reasoning although they, Henry encourage the interchangeability of the .327 and the .32 mag in spite of the case length difference. I believe it might of resulted in inconsistency with chambering of the shorter cartridges. Yes, mine feeds just fine but yours may not may be the case. Reduce the amount a variables and the consumer complaints are proportionately reduced. Just my opinion, others will surely differ.
    They also make mention of using 38 special in the 357 mag rifles. The same possibility for buildup is there for any combination of cartridges that have different lengths but will fit in the chamber.
    I really don't consider that a deal breaker. I do the same thing in my handguns and just clean the chamber after each range trip.

Boolit Master
    I have two pistol/rifle caliber carbines, a 32/20 and a 454 casull but no pistols for these rounds. If carrying the 454, I have no need for a pistol. Same goes for the 32/20 as it is only used for small game or plinking. The 454 with a 318 gr cast and a case full of lil gun runs 1950 fps and is good enough for anything I will encounter to about 200 yds. With a 200gr cast and a few grs of unique it is a 22 on steroids. I have no use for a rifle/pistol combo but I really like the M92 type carbine. If hunting when a 300yd + is probable then I will use a real rifle and have no need for a handgun. The carbines with pistol rounds are just plain fun and that alone makes them worth while.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Quote Originally Posted by Earlwb View Post
    ...there can be a buildup of lead or bullet jacket residue at where the case mouth ends in the chamber. A ring of the stuff can build up right there and prevent cartridges from chambering properly...
    Fix for this is to use a ball-end chamfer tool from Brownell's to break the wire edge inside the stop surface at the end of the chamber mouth. The 3/8" chamfer tool used on .22 and .32 revolver forcing cones will enter a 9mm chamber, and can be turned by hand using Brownell's Do-Drill and a light touch to break the corner. On the .30 Carbine Ruger use an 8mm end mill cutter the same way.

3/8 REVOLVER DEBURRING CUTTER ONLY
    080-623-003WB
    3/8" Revolver Deburring Cutter, only
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Had a Marlin 357 when younger - prob one of the "funnest" guns I ever had. Have a couple 45 Colt levers now, Win Trapper and an Uberti Henry (a REAL Henry copy - no forearm, loads from the front). Both a hoot !

Only issue I have run into is levers don't seem to like the SWC profile. Polishing parts, getting the length perfect helps a lot.

Son in law has a 9mm AR so I had to get a 45 acp AR - both also a hoot !

Start buyin' Taz !
    Cogno, Ergo, Boom

If you're gonna be stupid, don't pull up short. Saddle up and ride it all the way in.

I have a blackhawk in 44 and I'm so wanting to find a lever in 44, however I have read mixed reviews on the 94 as far as twist.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456