Reloading EverythingRepackboxWidenersRotoMetals2
Load DataInline FabricationTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky Lee Precision
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: Pistol caliber carbines Plusses and Minuses--your opinion?

Boolit Master
    I had a Henry Big Boy in 44 Mag/44 Special, but I got tired of toting a 8.67 pound lever action around my woods; so I traded for a new Rossi R92 in 44 Magnum, weighing in at 5 pounds. But I had to compromise on loads - now shooting a 44 Magnum cartridge at 44 Special velocities - .431" Oregon Trail lswc, and 7 grains of Unique = @ 1150 fps.

And, I agree 100% - the Enfield in 45 acp is a wowser!

Boolit Master
    Is that DeLisle a full conversion or just a lookalike? I’m impressed either way, but have gotten to play with one and have wanted one since.
    I passed my last psych eval, how bout you?

Quote Originally Posted by Lonegun1894 View Post
    Is that DeLisle a full conversion or just a lookalike? I’m impressed either way, but have gotten to play with one and have wanted one since.
    heck no its a some what look a like built on a #4 .It is fun little carbine and runs 1911 mags ,it has a 14 inch barrel with a fake can for looks .It is actually non restricted as the over all length exceeds 26" and the barrel is built at 14" and not a cut down .It is sighted for 45 super loads and will be 4" low with reg 45acp ammo

Boolit Master
    I can dream.... Very nice rifle anyway. I’d be proud to own one like it.
    I passed my last psych eval, how bout you?

had the 1910 357 max out the other day and took a fresh pic before putting it away Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fullsizeoutput_19f.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	37.5 KB 
ID:	235985

Question I have is the purpose of PCC? A cutoff in terminal performances? M1 carbine had a different purpose than Gaurand, yes , lighter.
    Whatever!

Less recoil = quicker follow up shots. Much better for close quarters defense.

The good ones are all setup for Sights, Scopes or Red Dot type sights.

They tend to have shorter barrels than many rifles, longer than pistol.

They are a compromise. Get the design right and they can be a load of fun to shoot and very effective.

Yes Popper I agree about the difference between the Garand and the M1 Carbine.
    One is a full battle rifle, designed for open field shooting.

The other is designed more for close quarters, and to be honest full auto.

Very very few could control it well enough to use it well. In that respect the 9mm is better by far. Look at the MP-40 or the Uzi.

To me PCC are for those wanting to shoot low recoil at closer ranges for fun. And don't want to get their shoulder bruised while doing it.

Slower rounds are easier on the rifling when you are shooting a lot of them.

You can burn out a Garand Barrel to the point where it does not shoot accurately fairly quickly if you really wanted to.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by blackbahart View Post
    had the 1910 357 max out the other day and took a fresh pic before putting it away Click image for larger version. 

Sweet rifle! Tell us more!

Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    Question I have is the purpose of PCC? A cutoff in terminal performances? M1 carbine had a different purpose than Gaurand, yes , lighter.
    Some states which only allowed deer hunting with shotgun slugs are now opening things up to rifles with pistol caliber cartridges. The idea being they are not so dangerous at longer distances if you get a ricochet or a missed shot.
    The rifles allow more accurate placement of bullets than most shotguns do.
    PCC guns do have shorter range of effectiveness than other cartridges. If the majority of your shooting is done within that range, they are a perfect choice.
    GhostHawk listed many good reasons for one.

Boolit Master
    They're so easy to shoot, it's almost a joke. I've shot a cylinder of 44 magnum loaded to near max and thought, "that's enough of that." The same loads in a carbine feel pretty mild and you actually improve terminal performance with any given handgun cartridge. It's not a rifle on Prozac, it's a handgun on steroids.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Master
    Don't know if they are still in business but Bang Bros or Brothers did make a semi auto PCC carbine just when the PCC craze hit the market. Should have a website if still in business.Their favorite caliber if I remember was 45acp. Frank

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by blackbahart View Post

yes please tell. did you do this conversion or did you have a shop do it?
    --ISO ITEMS--
    Contender super 16 barrels

updated as of April 2023

My feedback: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ight=Carbine86

Boolit Master
    The original purpose was to have pistol and rifle in same cartridge so you only had to buy one type. Great for the old west and others who had to limit what they carried in the field. And probably cost of rifle cartridges.

Same applies today, kinda, with sub-machine guns and pistols. But, it gets more complicated since mags do not always interchange, hence the move toward pistol magazine compatibility.

Further complication with modern stuff is that short barrel assault rifles are almost as compact and deliver more punch, but, you can't carry as many rounds. The problem is do you carry an SMG or a rifle? Depends on mission and preference and team logistics.

For personal use I guess it boils down to cheap fun. I don't own one and probably never will.

Boolit Buddy
    As a long time fan of The Rifleman, my PCCs are both Rossi 92s, 357 and 44. Great looks, cheap to feed, fun with light loads even for new shooters and enough for TX deer with warm loads.

Boolit Master

I get 10MM ballistics out of my KT Sub2000 in .40. That is just an average loading too. The plus side is it's accurate, handy and the S Korean 31 round mags are fun.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Quote Originally Posted by carbine86 View Post
    yes please tell. did you do this conversion or did you have a shop do it?
    to start with the doner 401s were bits guns and quite beyond reasonable repair and the barrels were pouched .We were originally going to use .400 /10mm barrels ,but we would have to buy a button ,but we just finished making 358s for a customer and just made a couple more as we were set up

Me and my friend did 2 actually .We turned down a 358 blank and I learned to turn the 40 tpi for the forend nut ,2 different tapers and the fun under/recoil lug .Had to modify the the mag follower to feed the rimmed cases with Hornady 158g XTP .

Basically chambered it to 357Max leaving the rim .020 proud like the 401 .To start with it would fire and wouldn't cycle ,had to reduce the counter weight to a bit heavier than the 351 and they feed and eject as they should.We use the 357 max brass uncut .

While we were making the barrel I discovered that the max reamer pilot fit into a 351 barrel and re chambered a spare 351 barrel also ,that barrel is on mine in the pic and it shoots equal as good as the bullet doesn't know its a bit tighter .005 .

All in a fun project and nice shooting carbines and thats about it

Boolit Buddy
    I guess I like'm. All Marlins.....C, CP, CB357x24,CB45x24, and 44Mag.

The C is carried daily. 45 accounts for lots of meat. 44, first gun I bought at 18yo, stays in the safe.
    45 is the most accurate, clays at 110 yds is easy.

I'll wait for a Ruger PCC40 as I have nothing in 9.

1Papalote

44 AMP again Winchester 1910 .This one was just a rebore the sewer pipe barrel and a little bit of polishing in the mag.No other changes and a wonderful melon stomper

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fullsizeoutput_1b6.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	26.0 KB 
ID:	236510

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567