RepackboxTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 Wideners

Thread: Opinions on potential trade.

Boolit Master

Opinions on potential trade.

I have a Remlin 336W in .30-30 - had it since 2016. I've had my way with it, refinished the stock and slicked it up a bit. Getting to the point - I have a buddy that has an Argentine 1891 (DWM - non matching) in very nice shape with a perfect bore. He showed an interest in the Remlin - said he'd trade straight across. My thoughts are this; they aren't gonna make any more Argentine 1891's. You can get a Remlin in .30-30 any time. I'm seriously considering the trade. Any opinions?
    So many guns, so little time

You must pay for everything in this life - nothing is free, except for the grace of God.

"Free cheese only comes in a mousetrap"

What is the condition and configuration of the Argie? In "as-issued" condition the carbines are worth more than the full length rifles. There seem to be a lot of them around in various conditions, some like new. Many have been sporterized and most of them are worth less than your Remlin. An Argie in like new condition might be worth a straight across trade.

Boolit Master

I would take the 91 in very good plus condition any day of the week in place of a Remlin. but that is just my opinion, james

Banned
    If the crest is intact do it, otherwise they are a $250 item at numerous auctions.

Boolit Master

If it's a DWM, it's post-1896 manufacture (pre-'96 were made by Loewe - Berlin) and, perhaps, not so desirable as the earlier guns. Main issue, to me, for a non-matching piece would be 'which configuration?'...full-length rifle, cavalry carbine, or engineer carbine (with bayonet lug) and overall condition. Carbines seem to bring more than rifles and engineer carbines more than cavalry. (Last time I saw a really clean 'engineer', asking price was over $1K). Of course, if it's been 'sporterized' in any way, that's a whole different can of worms.

For myself, if I had a Remlin that needed a new home, I'd probably be willing to swap it for a decent '91 Argie carbine but, then, I've got a soft spot for those old carbines.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

The Remlin 336W is probably worth $300max., so if the ‘91 is that good I would do it.

Just a few comments, mostly touched on by others already...
    1) I had a 1909 Argentine DWM full length rifle, unaltered, all matching, etc. I looked for years for an 1891 rifle with intact crest. Only saw one, but bore was pretty bad. So if your friends piece has intact crest that is a definite plus.
    2) Especially if bolt is mis-matched to receiver and barrel, has your friend fired it and confirmed headspace is OK?
    3) If sporterized, that drops value quite a bit.
    4) carbine or rifle? Carbines typically go for more, all factors being equal.

To me anyway, in terms of value, worst case would be the following: sporterized, mismatched bolt, ground crest, full size rifle (not carbine).

good luck

I would do it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Wow - didn't expect so many responses. The Argie is a full length rifle without a crest in full military dress. The only thing mismatched is the magazine. I fired the rifle with PPU ammo. I managed a 2" group at 100 yds. I think my mind is made up. I'll see him in a few days. I have a thing for Mauser rifles (I like 'em all) and an 1891 Argentine has been on my want list for a long while. My thanks to everyone who chimed in. Can't wait to get my grimy hands on it.

You must pay for everything in this life - nothing is free, except for the grace of God.

Good luck and good choice. Another Marlin will find you soon enough. I'm still waiting for right time/ place to get my FIRST Mauser 1891.

Banned
    a 1891 with good bore and good lockup beats out ANY marlin made after 2004

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by crankycalico View Post
    a 1891 with good bore and good lockup beats out ANY marlin made after 2004
    You got that right!

Hey TbG - I think I'll look around for an older JM gun. Saw one in a pawn shop a while back for $350.00, but I didn't have the scratch.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mac60 View Post
    You got that right!

Hey TbG - I think I'll look around for an older JM gun. Saw one in a pawn shop a while back for $350.00, but I didn't have the scratch.
    actual walnut beats out the crappy plastic finish I see now a days. Its sad to see what they have fallen to.

Look for Glenfields- they are all JM's and usually cheaper. I bought a Marlin- Glenfield 36G 30-30( both names on gun) for $275 with a Valor 4x in a Weaver SwingOver mount. The first group with scrounged up Rem 150 gr went 3/4"-3 shots at 100 yds. This was about 5 years ago.