WidenersReloading EverythingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gas checks in the pot

Boolit Bub

Gas checks in the pot

Hello all,

I have a question that has probably been answered in the past, so my apologies if the answer was hiding in plain sight and I missed it. Here goes:

I have about 100 commercially cast gas checked spire point bullets I will never use. Can I just toss them in the melting pot and skim the gas checks out with the rest of the dross? I feel like I've heard of people doing this, but I'm hesitant to try it without some approval from those with more knowledge. I'd hate to lose a pot full of lead in an effort to salvage a couple pounds.

Thanks and Merry Christmas!

USMC 77, USRA 79

If the bullets are not lubed, I would just throw them in my lee Casting pot and skim... if they are lubed, it will smoke something fierce, and the lube could actually spark a flame once melted. That is best done in an Ingot pot outside.
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Boolit Master

works fine, just make sure they are dry before dropping them in molten lead. best thing is to put them in a pot and slowly heat til melted.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Master
    I have never done a 100 before. Dont see what it would hurt.

Banned

Sounds like a reason to buy a new rifle and shoot them.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by dondiego View Post
    Sounds like a reason to buy a new rifle and shoot them.
    Haha, maybe so. They are spire point 44 caliber. I got them in a trade, and don't have a proper 44 seating stem to load them. But you do make a good point.

Also, I don't think I'll toss them in all at once. I was thinking of sprinkling them in the pot, like seasoning.

Boolit Buddy
    Follow on question - could those salvaged gas checks from the pot be reused?

Boolit Master
    You can re-use them but you would have to make a punch to open them up again. Also, the punch takes out the burr that helps it crimp on and stay on.
    The only amendment the Democrats support is the 5th.

Boolit Bub
    Well, just got done doing some casting. Dropped them in the pot about 5 at a time. Everything was fine, though they did smoke something awful. Thanks for the encouragement gentlemen.

As for the gas checks rdwarrior, they were intact and appeared fine, just dirty. I don't use checks myself, so I'm not sure what rejuvenating them would entail. Might be more work than it's worth, but isn't everything?

Boolit Grand Master

I've remelted sized and lubed bullets before. But not 100 at once. I did do 1000 once but they went into the smelting pot. The lube smokes and will burn. It also makes good flux. I've never tried to reclaim gas checks. Not sure how successful that would be. The gas checks, like bullet jackets, float to the top. I don't inspect bullets. I just cull the obvious rejects when I cast, again when I size and lube them and again when I load them. Very few bad ones get by me this way. But I have melted a few rejects that made it to the sizer.

The checks in question would be annealed dead soft by that heat for the amount of time it would take. They wouldnt then be able to take the pressure that a hardened check would take. They'd still work if you was running at slower speeds, but if you was pushing the edge of cast performance, they'd cause leading.

Boolit Buddy
    They'll harden some after being work being crimped onto a new bullet. I have used gas checks recovered from the berm at the range. Melt the lead, recover the checks ( the idea to have a punch to bevel the crimp out is a good one) and re-use. makes me feel like I'm getting ahead.

Boolit Grand Master

Those bullets could be used 5-10 at a time to flux the pot getting some use from them and the lube in the remelting. The checks will anneal but should still be useable if opened back up. Even in the annealed state they should work.
    The problem is if those annealed checks show better groups then what

Country Gent... be funny if not only did those reclaimed checks show better groups, but annealing new checks in the same manner did not reproduce the same results! That'd be a story.

Boolit Master

I am with the throw a few in once in awhile for flux and less smoke then all at once , I have done it no big deal

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    Country Gent... be funny if not only did those reclaimed checks show better groups, but annealing new checks in the same manner did not reproduce the same results! That'd be a story.
    Sounds like another investigative report for Larry Gibson to tackle! Merry Christmas everybody!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by upnorthwis View Post
    You can re-use them but you would have to make a punch to open them up again. Also, the punch takes out the burr that helps it crimp on and stay on.
    A proper size ball bearing and a firm tap will make those checks ready to go again.

Boolit Master
    I have a little cup on my loading bench for all my ' how did I miss that ' cast boolits to go in . They end up on top of the cold casting pot , I recycle .

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by dondiego View Post
    A proper size ball bearing and a firm tap will make those checks ready to go again.
    I have the NOE GC expanders as I pc my cast and the hornady GC are a bit difficult to get on without a slight expansion to get over the PC. So if everyone thinks the GC could be reused - I do have the stuff to expand them for re-use.

The Noe expanders work very well but I don't use mine much anymore since I bought the Noe gas check seating die. Best gas check tool I've tried for getting the checks on square and tight. If I were trying to salvage checks out of the pot I believe the expanders would be just the ticket. Gp

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast