RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLoad Data
WidenersLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Repackbox Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: .303 British ammo in Afghanistan

Boolit Master
    Outpost 75 I know it’s been awhile since you posted this picture of 303 ammo but what can you tell me about it. I hade some of this ammo I bought from a dealer in the late 80s that said it was match ammo. It looked identical to your picture. I rember it said 303 Brit Winchester exactly like your picture and I thank made in the early 80’s. It was the best shooting ammo I ever shot out of my 303 4 mk2. When I was young with good eyes at the 300 yard range I shot a group around 3’’. I still rember shooting this group because after I shot it I walked down to my target and at first didint see a big pattern. I got closer and I could not believe that I shot a small of a group as this. I had maybe ten boxes of it and horded two boxes for ten years or so. I have been out of this ammo for a long time and always wondered what it was and why it was so accurate.

Boolit Master
    Outpost 75 I bought some of this ammo from a dealer in 1989. He said it was match ammo. It was some of the best ammo I ever shot out of my 303 4mk2. I always wondered what it was. I rember the ammo boxes where exactly like your picture. I thank made in the early 80’s. I rember still today that group I shot many years ago. I walked up to my target at 300 yards. At first I didint see a big pattern like I thought I would see. As I got closer I could see a small group of around 3 in For 10 shots.I had about ten boxes of this ammo . i shot it all over the next few months and horded two boxes for about 10 years always looking at gun showes for more. I tried hand loading for it but never could get it to shoot as good as this ammo. Just wondering all these years why this ammo was so good? I hade this ammo shoot less than 2in at 100 yards for a 10 shot group.for a military rifle made in the early 50,s I always thaught that was awsom.

Boolit Master
    Sorry for the double post. Some how the first post got double posted. I deleated one and both post disappeared so I hade to rewrite it. So that’s why two different post a little differnt

USMC 77, USRA 79

I was wondering about some of the ammo in your first picture.. it appears as though some of the bullets are crimped from the outside of the neck?? Or is that just me?
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Markopolo View Post
    I was wondering about some of the ammo in your first picture.. it appears as though some of the bullets are crimped from the outside of the neck?? Or is that just me?
    It's not you that is how it was made. Some Russian ammo looks like a center punch was used 3 or 4 times around the neck.
    When you read the fine print you get an education
    when you ignore the fine print you get experience

Boolit Master

Yes, there is a crimp half way down the neck.

CD
    De Oppresso Liber

Irag: 91,03,04,05,06,08,09',15', 16',22-23'
    Afghanistan: 09,10,11',14',17'-21'

Boolit Master

"Stab crimp"
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Quote Originally Posted by Jniedbalski View Post
    Outpost 75 I bought some of this ammo from a dealer in 1989...always looking at gun showes for more. I tried hand loading for it but never could get it to shoot as good as this ammo. Just wondering all these years why this ammo was so good?...
    I bought a big load of that ammo about the same time you did. The reason it shot so well was because the bullets were assembled using new production dies instead of old worn out ones, and the jackets were also of very good quality because they used the same draw stock as for the 7.62mm M118 Match, but doing the final form and base closure to the MkVII profile. The WC846 Ball powder used permitted more uniform charges, the military M34 primer is well balanced for the .303 loading, being intended for 7.62mm ammo, and the Black Lucas mouth sealant not only waterproofs the round, but promotes more uniform bullet pull and actually serves as a bullet lubricant to reduce metal fouling. The Greek HXP ammunition made in the 1970s is constructed similarly and is every bit as good.

Accurate .303 handloads which approximate the ballistics of MkVIIz ammunition can be assembled with 40 grains of either 4895, 4064, RL15 or Varget with the .312" diameter Sierra 174-grain MatchKing, or the similar Hornady match bullet. For hunting use substitute either the Hornady 174-grain softpoint, or the Speer 180-grain HotCor in the .312" diameter.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master

Fascinating to me that you're mostly finding mid-'30's to early '40's stuff, and from multiple production sources. There's certainly a story to be told there, if there's anyone left living who could tell it.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master
    Most interesting thread Sir.Thank you for posting.Looks like a lot of interesting weapons around that area.Thanks for your service.God bless and keep you safe.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo
    People never lie so much as after a hunt,during a war,or before an election.
    Otto von Bismarck

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the info. It is really good to know why it was so accurate. I always wondered all these years why. I have used hodgen’s blc2 and got decent results.but it’s been a long time ago . I first starting loading this round in the early 90’s with my lee loader on the kitchen table. I would load 20 rounds and go out the back door shoot them at my target at 100 and 150 yards . When all where shot I would go back inside and load 20 more and shoot again. It was a great way to spend a Saturday.

Boolit Buddy
    Neat stuff, thanks for sharing.
    I'm wondering what sort of a posting you have have that allows you to play with this stuff though.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Quote Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
    I'm wondering what sort of a posting you have have that allows you to play with this stuff though.
    Not sure where OP is currently, but back in the day 11th MI Co. at Aberdeen Proving Ground was detailed to the Combat Systems Test Activity to evaluate foreign equipment for the number brunchers.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
    Retired Special Forces and working for SOCOM now as a armorer/instructor down range.

CD
    De Oppresso Liber

Boolit Master

Group photo of the best of the 8 .303 rifles on hand. Finally understanding British martial rifles.
    Top-Down
    SMLE Enfield made in 1914
    No. 1 Mk III GRI (Pakistan) made in 1945. SMLE was renamed to No. 1 Mk III in 1926.
    Pattern 14 made by Remington in 1916. Renamed the No. 3 rifle in 1926. (The missing No. 2 was a .22LR training rifle)
    No. 4 Mk I made by Long Branch in Canada in 1944
    No. 5 Mk I dated 1949 by production was only 44-47'. This is a Khyber Pass gun.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7036rz.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	116.4 KB 
ID:	238676

CD
    De Oppresso Liber

If anyone wants one of the Enfield cleaning funnels a place called John Denner in Canada sells them.

USMC 77, USRA 79

That khyber pass gun sure looks interesting. Looks like copper wire from a motor winding around the stock. Stock is so dark it looks almost synthetic. I like the shorter overall profile of the later production guns, never shot one though. Have you shot all of these guns? How does that Khyber Pass gun shoot?

Boolit Master

That khyber pass gun sure looks interesting. Looks like copper wire from a motor winding around the stock. Stock is so dark it looks almost synthetic. I like the shorter overall profile of the later production guns, never shot one though. Have you shot all of these guns? How does that Khyber Pass gun shoot?
    KH guns are individuals. Some work well, others have issues ie bolt sticking, bolt head popping up and release out of receiver when pulled back, striker issues. Groups at 25 m with unknown ammo or ammo dating from WWI/WWII 3-4".

CD
    De Oppresso Liber

USMC 77, USRA 79

Nice and compact though.. handy to carry if you can find a good one. Do you guys have to destroy those weapons?

Boolit Master

Nice and compact though.. handy to carry if you can find a good one. Do you guys have to destroy those weapons?
    Weapons will either get demilled or turned over to ANA when we leave. Demilled ones can go home with the units as war trophies.

CD
    De Oppresso Liber

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast