Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Wideners RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Russian 20 gauge pellet slug

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20181224_0750126.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	25.9 KB 
ID:	232651Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20181224_0750499.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	26.6 KB 
ID:	232652Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20181224_0751221.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	26.5 KB 
ID:	232653
    I'll get a picture of the mold when I get to my casting shed. I believe I payed $48 USD for the mold. Ordered it directly from Svarog in Perm Russia.
    As for wad fit, I only have 2 types of wads. The fit in the remington wad is not good because of the ribs in the petals. With the federal 20s1 wad it fits nicely in my I.M. choke and a slip fit in my modified choke. Those are my 2 most used choke tubes anyway.

Banned
    That sounds very nice, now remember you want 6 to 10 lbs push through your choke part of the barrel.
    I was very happy to hear that the slug wt was 285 gr only. Order .125 nitro cards from Circle Fly of 28 ga, this nitro card goes under the slug in wad to give it a solid platform at launch ! !
    Why Circle Fly because we use to get more than double the quantity, yet cheaper pricing, Today I do not know if things have changed.
    What all powder selection do you have on hand?
    Do you have Fiocchi hulls on hand 2 3/4 inch and 3 inch?
    Do you have Fed 209 A magnum primers?

Waiting for your reply then we will proceed.

You will need a depth gauge so if you do not already have one then go to a Dollar store for a set of " O " rings

Best regards,
    Ajay K. Madan
    Super Blazing Sabots
    Last edited by SuperBlazingSabots; 12-24-2018 at 01:48 PM.

I punch my own cards for under the slug. I use a 13mm punch so I can make whatever wad I like. I have federal hulls both 2 3/4" and 3".
    Suitable powder for 20 gauge would be universal, blue dot and longshot.
    I have winchester 209, cci 209m, and federal 209a primers.

Oh I do have some 2 3/4" cheddite hulls as well

Banned
    Those Federal hulls are the best for hunting and to set up newer loads I prefer Fiocchi hull. I'll give you the loads but you will have to adjust the wad column to see if you need one , two or three .125 inch nitro cards below the slug to do a fold crimp. You decide !
    Watch it brother, they are indeed hot and will kill anything in North America:

Cut down the powder charge by 10 % and load one load at a time by increasing the charge by 1/2 gr at a time using Newer Fiocchi hulls.
    Please do not forget to measure your barrel OD at the muzzle, its important for your safety too. There are plenty of guns out there that have paper thin barrels ! !
    We come here to help but not get anyone of your friends hurt, indeed we are playing with fire ! !
    Best regards,
    Ajay K. Madan
    Super Blazing Sabots
    Last edited by SuperBlazingSabots; 01-05-2019 at 07:36 PM.

Those are indeed hot loads Ajay.
    Thanks for your guidance, you are indeed a pioneer in this field. My outside diameter is .790" at the muzzle.
    I don't suppose you have any 2 3/4" loads up your sleeve.
    The majority of hulls I have are 2 3/4" and buying hulls is not much of an option where I live.

Banned
    Hello Ginsing, by the time you reduce the charge by 10% and charge one hull then slide in the wad with slug and measure how much hull space you have left for crimp.
    Never know your 2 3/4 hull just might fit in.
    Try and find out.
    I do not have that slug or that mold.

I'm on stand-by if you need further help from me.

Best regards,
    Ajay K. Madan
    Super Blazing Sabots

I'll give it a try likely boxing day.
    I'll report my progress
    Thanks for all your help everyone

Boolit Master
    Got my Svarog 20 gauge pellet mold today. It's built like a tank.

No complaints at all, easy casting, good results. Fits snug in a thick wall tungsten shot cup.

I wanted a Lyman but nobody ships them internationally anymore. This is a good mold, I have a very good Lyman in 12 gauge. Lee 575 ball in the pic,too. Such a fragile mold this Lee.

Attachment 232846
    Last edited by Petander; 12-28-2018 at 04:28 PM. Reason: Add pic.

The molds are built well, and cast very well. With the 20 gauge one I only got 3 rejects before it started casting keepers

Boolit Master

Banned
    Greetings Petander, looks good, what are your load charges and wad. Is it for smoothbore or rifled barrel?

Ajay K. Madan
    Super Blazing Sabots

Update:
    Got out and shot some round balls and pellet slugs.
    My loads were mild but shot very well.
    I used federal 2 3/4" hulls
    For the round balls 18 gr universal, winchester 209 primers, federal 20s1 wad, 2 hand punched card wads under the ball (3/16" total), 8 point crimp. Put 5 balls into a palm size group at 45 paces. No fliers, wads held out fine shot from a kneeling position with a bead sight, modified choke. All shots were 6" right and 4" high to POA.
    Loads for pellet slug were 23 grains longshot, winchester 209 primer, federal 20s1 wad with 2 card wad under the slug, base of the slug was filled with got glue, 8 point crimp.
    Shot same distance, same gun.
    Groups were more centered and lower. Still a few inches high. It was 4 of the slugs in about a 4" groups with 1 about 3" low. I'm not sure if it was me or a wad failure I only recovered 2 wads from these shots. The longshot loads felt more powerful and I'm sure I can improve my accuracy with them when I'm more comfortable. I was getting a bit chilly by then from kneeling in the snow haha.
    Overall I'm impressed with both loads. Surprised they both shot so well right out of the gates.
    I'll load up more and report back, maybe I will borrow a heavier gun. I'm just shooting these through a single shot Turkish gun that is extremely light, I would be surprised if this thing weighs 5 pounds.
    Last edited by Ginsing; 01-01-2019 at 08:17 PM. Reason: Spelling

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12