RepackboxLoad DataReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication Wideners
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What's your favorite cast bullet gun?

Bought a '16 R700,stainless SPS 7-08 new. Never seen a factory round or a JB.

Wears a minty B$L 3-9X40. Shoots a nose bumped,as cast body,GC sized Lee 285-130RN. In the nose bump,a meplat gets swaged. Lube is 3/1,BW/vaseline. Ernie gunsmith trigger spring to set weight to 3 1/4#. Saving $$ for a Timney but ain't terrible as is. Action is bedded and forearm opened up for clearance/cooling. Stock custom painted oak tree lichen green with black spider webs.The load is 37g Varget and CCI primers and a light jam,that works up through the mag.Day in and out,rain or shine,hot or cold into a ragged hole at 100.

It's rarely out of my sight.

Boolit Buddy
    1876 ,Chaparral 40/60 cal. x 26",,26.5gns. to 27gns. of H-4198 ,, 210-215gn. rnfp ,,will shoot 3/4" & less, groups @ 50yds.,, when I do my part ,, very comfortable to shoot . Just loaded up 65 rds.,, get to shoot ( fingers crossed ) next day or so.

Merry Christmas to All & Happy New Year!!!!

coffee's ready ,, Hootmix

Boolit Buddy

Pistol model 28b with Keith 158 swc over win231 in 38sp
    Rifle, a little different, Lyman 44 devastator in 50 cal sabot over 110 volume grains of 3F 777
    Stronger, Prouder and Greater!

Boolit Buddy
    I love casting for my 8mm Yugo Mauser, 9mm pistols, and 45acp's. Not sure why I do, but I've come to realize that I just enjoy casting and loading and shooting boolits much more than jacketed.

However, my all time favorite rifle PERIOD is my pre-64 Model 70 .270. I have never cast boolits for it, but it looks like I should!

8mmFan

Boolit Master
    My Glenfield 30-30. Or my 5" .44 special Ruger Bisley.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    Any of my several handguns. They range from 38 special, 357 mag, 45 acp, to several 9mm handguns.
    They all work well with cast.
    I haven't tried rifle yet.
    I'm with tazman, so far I only do pistols. I'm mostly a handgunner though I do own rifles and shotguns.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 8mmFan View Post
    I love casting for my 8mm Yugo Mauser, 9mm pistols, and 45acp's. Not sure why I do, but I've come to realize that I just enjoy casting and loading and shooting boolits much more than jacketed.

However, my all time favorite rifle PERIOD is my pre-64 Model 70 .270. I have never cast boolits for it, but it looks like I should!

8mmFan
    That Model 70 is totally doable! We need more 270 casters!!! Let me know when you are getting ready for it and I can send you some boolits from different molds. Might be cheaper than buying molds at random like I did.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic_Charlie View Post
    My Glenfield 30-30. Or my 5" .44 special Ruger Bisley.
    I find my self looking at the Ruger 44spl a lot. I have a Marlin 44mag 24" CB rifle. On the fence about keeping it. If I do I'm getting a 44 spl ruger to go with It!

I really like the looks of the short barrel Ruger.

It may not be for the same reason as every one else, but my 98 Mauser in 9.3 x 62 MM Mauser it is the last rifle built with my late friend Mike. I shoot a cast boolit from #2 Lyman in a Accurate 37-285 C mold over a 70% load of H4895, it will get a 1 inch group or very close to it any day , and just memories of two old Vets, make it all better

Boolit Buddy
    Favorite right now is a JES re-bored Marlin 336 in 38-55. I use the Accurate 38-250B loaded anywhere from 1250-1600 fps using Universal, 4198 and 3031.
    Honorable mention to my family heirloom Marlin 94 25-20. Built in 1906, this one is a hoot to shoot and my favorite woods loafing gun. It's just getting too hard to find parts for when breaks down. Looking for an ejector right now.

Boolit Buddy
    I like my M1903 Springfield, in that it is very pleasant to shoot with cast bullets. It shoots as accurately up to 150 yards as with ball ammunition, beyond which I have difficulty discerning a small target, making performance at longer distances a moot point.

I like my S&W Model 28 with the Lyman 358156 gascheck bullet, which shoots as clean as any jacketed projectile. I am grateful to the late Charles 'Skeeter' Skelton for touting loads with this bullet, which saved countless hours of experimentation.
    Last edited by El Bibliotecario; 01-13-2019 at 12:47 PM.

My dad's Remington 760 in 30-06. I use Trail Boss, Unique, or Red Dot under either a 311041 or a PB 165 grain RNFP.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GARD72977 View Post
    I find my self looking at the Ruger 44spl a lot. I have a Marlin 44mag 24" CB rifle. On the fence about keeping it. If I do I'm getting a 44 spl ruger to go with It!

I really like the looks of the short barrel Ruger.
    Just got home from shooting it. Been filing down the front sight to pair up with the Bowen rear sight I put on. Think I got it now. Been using a 250 gr. RCBS Keith style boolit. I'll be shooting this Ruger until I can't I think.

Boolit Buddy
    MGM barrel in.32 S&W Long 27" length on a T/C Contender. Cheap, fun, quiet, fun, accurate, fun. Did I mention fun?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 32 S&W002.jpg  
    Good judgment comes from experience.
    Experience comes from poor judgment.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123