MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRepackboxLee Precision
WidenersReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Load Data RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dietz Air Pilot Kerosine Lantern Sale. $9.99

Boolit Grand Master

Dietz Air Pilot Kerosine Lantern Sale. $9.99

Good sale on these at Lehmans. https://www.lehmans.com/product/diet...t-oil-lantern/

I got 2 last night for $9.99 with shipping $29.30 so about $15 each to your door. Only the blue ones and they are now out of stock but you can backorder them. Several others are on sale, too. For this price, I don't know how anyone can resist a backup light source.

As an aside, I'm trying a Mars no. 78 I picked up at a local lamp shop for $9.99 on sale and might go get another of the smaller one. I used lamp oil but now am using Extra Virgin Olive Oil to see how it runs. Sputters a little but runs ok on it. Good for a pinch.
    Last edited by jonp; 12-23-2018 at 11:57 AM.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master

I use the Dietz Blizzard lamps when camping. They put out enough light, without the campsite looking like it's being lit with Klieg lights. The Blizzard is just a bit larger than the Air Pilot, but I don't know how the light output compares.

I converted over to Kero for all the lighting whilst camping. A more mellow glow, rather than the harsh output of a double-mantle pressure lantern.

Boolit Master
    The Lehmans store is about an hour from me.
    I visited it once. It's full of human powered tools.
    The wood burning cook stoves/ovens are
    works of art.
    I have a large cast iron lard rendering pot from the 1890's.
    Saw a new one at Lehmans for only $1,100.00.
    Guess I better sell mine.......

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by FredBuddy View Post
    The Lehmans store is about an hour from me.
    I visited it once. It's full of human powered tools.
    The wood burning cook stoves/ovens are
    works of art.
    I have a large cast iron lard rendering pot from the 1890's.
    Saw a new one at Lehmans for only $1,100.00.
    Guess I better sell mine.......
    All the large ones I've seen have had lye soap made in them sometime in the past so not good for food anymore. I've tried to find a way to get that lye and soap out so they could be used again but have not run across a method.

Boolit Grand Master

Thanks for the heads up

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    All the large ones I've seen have had lye soap made in them sometime in the past so not good for food anymore. I've tried to find a way to get that lye and soap out so they could be used again but have not run across a method.
    I would think that boiling enough water would eventually lift out the soap. Then some diluted muriatic acid (hydrochloric) would neutralize any remaining lye.
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.

Boolit Grand Master

I'm going to buy a few more, put wrought iron hangers in the hallways of my house and hang one or two in each. Great decoration and emergency lighting always at hand.

Boolit Grand Master

I saw the mason jar kits to turn them into oil lamps. I haul out of a glass plant and can get all of the rejected mason jars I want for free. I got several cases for my wife to use for canning. Off color or something and they pitch them. Anyone try one of the kits like Lehman's sells?

Boolit Master

I just bought a couple for the pole barn/fire pit area. Nice soft lighting. Kerosene is not that readily available here though. Another plus for camp lighting mentioned earlier is no roar from pressurized mantle lanterns with these either.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Finster101 View Post
    I just bought a couple for the pole barn/fire pit area. Nice soft lighting. Kerosene is not that readily available here though. Another plus for camp lighting mentioned earlier is no roar from pressurized mantle lanterns with these either.
    Try extra virgin olive oil if you can't get kerosine. Every Dollar General I've been in, or WalMart for that matter, has lamp oil.

I have a few original Deitz little wizzards. Good lamps. Not sure about the new ones?
    We use lots of kerosene around this house!
    Attachment 232689

Thanks for the link, ordered two blue.
    Aim Small Miss Small

Moderator Emeritus

I have 2 Aladdin kerosene lamps... lot brighter for reading during power failures. One of these years I need to get 24 volt LED fixtures in all the rooms... then run off the solar battery

Boolit Master

I've got two of the blue ones on the way to go with the two Norfolk a Western railroad lanterns I already have. It's good insurance when the power goes off for more than a few days. That hasn't happened here for awhile, but it's lookin like we're going to have a hum dinger of a winter from the way we're going.

Boolit Master

Used kerosene lanterns to milk, feed and water livestock , and do farm chores in the 1950's and '60's.
    And in the 1950s it was the least expensive lighting we could get.
    We used these because we could not afford to buy batteries for a flashlight.
    I hate the smell of kerosene - it smells like poverty
    Go now and pour yourself a hot one...

Boolit Buddy

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170702_205744.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	49.8 KB 
ID:	232733I can use a few more.
    A man who is good enough to shed his blood for his country is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards.
    -Theodore Roosevelt

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...2441-Ron-in-PA

Banned
    "China"

How sad !

The last time I used a lantern with an open flame was in the 1994 earthquake in LA. After lighting it up, it occured to me that I might blow myself up as there would most likely be leaking gas from broken lines. I was lucky and nothing happened, but it sure could have. Since then, I keep a battery powered lantern in the garage in case of an emergency.

Boolit Master

I have plenty of batteries and a standby generator but there is something about the warm, flickering glow of a coal oil lamp. I have a few old lamps (not lanterns) from my Grandmother that are older than her so I'm not willing to take them to the barn to sit down and be knocked over. I can hang these lanterns and if they get damaged it's no biggie.

Boolit Master
    We had a power outage a few years ago during warm weather. SWMBO started complaining that we had lost lights and everything else electrically powered since the electricity had gone out. I answered we could still use the gas range top for cooking so everything was not lost. How so, she asked. I explained that the gas flow was not interrupted. Just open the valve to a burner and hold a match to it. It will light and we can cook. A few minutes later she shouted back "It won't light!" I walked into the kitchen and asked her to show me what she did to light the burner. Like I suggested, she opened a burner valve, then took a match out of the box and held it over the burner. "See, it won't light up at all" she complained. I answered "First you have to strike the match before the burner will light..." She gave me the deer in the headlights stare and very softly said "oh...." It was String Bean who said it best: Sometimes truth is stranger than fiction." All of the above is a true story. Sad, but true.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast