Titan ReloadingLoad DataLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Wideners
Repackbox Inline Fabrication

Thread: Lyman postell up grade

Boolit Master

Lyman postell up grade

I have a Lyman postell 535 gr #2640132 that I shoot in a C Sharps 1874 45/70 pretty well but would like more powder behind it . Baco sells a .459 535 gr postell with a reduced 1st band which would let me seat the boolit further out gaining more capacity as I am shooting to 700yds and it would be nice to get a little flatter trajectory . They have quite a selection of molds in that group . Anyone shoot that boolit or suggestions on others that might compare? I don"t want to buy more than one to try as I shoot paper patch most of the time but the postell did shoot really well and an up grade would be nice . Thanks Ed

Boolit Grand Master

I would look at the bullets BACO sells see if its there and buy 50-100 to try before buying the mould. If they work like you want then the mould.

Boolit Buddy

Lyman postell up grade

Paper patch it. I have a c sharps in 45/70. I can get 82 grains of Swiss 1.5 underneath a 536 grain bullet. Pushes that bullet at 1330 FPS last time I shot it over the chrony.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banned

ed, is that really a lyman #457132 mould? never seen that listed as a #2640132 mould.

anyhoo, can ya run that cast bullet partially up into a modified lee sizing die in order to "bore ride" its nose?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rfd View Post
    ed, is that really a lyman #457132 mould? never seen that listed as a #2640132 mould.

anyhoo, can ya run that cast bullet partially up into a modified lee sizing die in order to "bore ride" its nose?
    Rob your right again ,it"s what happens when you grab the box before looking at the mold . Lymans item # not the mold# and thanks for the tip , I will do that this morning and see how they shoot (as soon as the rain/sleet stops) Thanks Ed

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    If you got a good mould, it's really hard to beat the postel bullet if a person is into shooting greasers.I was spotting with a shooter that won the midrange championship at the nationals a few years back , and he set a national record along the way with it. With a 45-70 and grease groove bullets, there's only so much room for powder anyway. Keep in mind the original postel design was to make trapdoors competitive to 1000 yards.
    The BACO 525 gr. money bullet shoots well , as does any of the 535 gr. versions.
    So long as your not shooting at a range with bullet weight and velocity restrictions, the Saeco 645 bullet is probably the best of the greasers for a 45-70. But at 480 grains, it's under the 500 gr weight limit some range's impose on 45 caliber rifles in long range target matches.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.