Graf & SonsRotoMetals2RepackboxStainLess Steel Media
WidenersInline Fabrication

Thread: Overall Cartridge Length Gauge

Boolit Master
    What the world calls "Global Warming", we in Arizona call "Summer Time."

Overall Cartridge Length Gauge

I recently picked up one of these little dohickeys including the attachment that you mount to your calipers. I had made my own a long while back but it wasn't really made with any kind of exacting tolerances so I decided to buy one of those lock and load units. I also bought an individual insert for my 6.5 guns as well as an individual insert for checking headspacing for shoulder bumping.

My reason for posting was not so much a review but I wanted to ask any of you guys who also use these types of gauges and corresponding inserts; now that I've had a look at them and how they are made I'm sure I can lathe-turn my own but I was hoping that if any of you have the full set of inserts, you might be willing to give me the inside diameters for the .30 caliber and the .223 calibers. I'm sure I can turn the outside geometry using some scrap aluminum rod I have in my junk pile. What I'm not sure of is if the center holes have to be a specific diameter or if they have to only be large enough to reach the O-Give of the bullets .

Same with the Shoulder Bumping/Headspace inserts. I naively thought that these inserts were made with corresponding interior curvature to better match the curves of the bullets. In the case of the Headspace inserts I thought perhaps they were made with the same shoulder angles of the individual cartridge casings. Both of these types of inserts have just a straight thru-hole so, it maybe that the exact measurements of the factory inserts are really not that important; as long as the OAL inserts rests on the O-Give of the bullet and the Headspace insert rests somewhere on the shoulder of the given cartridge case.

Does this sound right to you more experience Overall Length Gauge users?
    Thanks for your help.

HollowPoint

Boolit Master
    For measuring the OAL, I believe the hole is bore diameter (not groove) so you can measure the point from the cartridge base to the ogive of a given bullet.
    Making these inserts would be very simple.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Master
    What the world calls "Global Warming", we in Arizona call "Summer Time."
    Thanks JS;

After posting this topic I kept searching for info online and came across a YouTube video that confirms your comment. It's kind of a relief cause I hate buying stuff I can make myself. I should have looked a little harder before wasting perfectly good internet band width by posting my inquiry.

Thanks again and merry Christmas. Looks I'll be spending my days off making a couple more inserts.

Update: I did it this morning. Since I'm only loading for three different calibers and I purchased the insert for the 6.5 caliber rifles, I decided to turn an insert for my .30 rifles and one for my .223.

I started out planning to make them out of aluminum just like the factory inserts but I couldn't find any small diameter leftovers in my junk box so I started making them out of some hard plastic rod stock I had laying around. I think it was Delrin rod but it was pretty rigid so I'm not really sure. I just know that it would have worked but I'm sure over time it would have started giving me faulty reading if I used it more than a few time for each caliber.

As luck would have it, when I pulled it from the lathe chuck after initially turning it down to the correct overall diameter, I dropped it on the floor and it rolled underneath my lathe. After a couple of choice words of discontent I got on my knees and proceeded to fish it out from under the lathe. Lo-And-Behold, there was a four or five inch piece of aluminum rod scraps laying on the floor right next to the Delrin rod I had just turned down. I started all over again with the aluminum rod stock, made the two inserts I mentioned and now I have just enough left over to make a couple of Headspace Inserts so I can measure how much bump I need to give my brass in order to keep it all uniform. Life is good; the prices of reloading powder, not so much.

HollowPoint
    Last edited by HollowPoint; 12-23-2018 at 11:42 PM.