Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingWidenersLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Snyders Jerky Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glock 17 for USPSA Carry Optics

Boolit Master

Glock 17 for USPSA Carry Optics

Any one else moving to optics? Really enjoying shooting this.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20181222_095135.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	25.4 KB 
ID:	232509

Boolit Master

You know I was just wondering if I could put something like that on my XDm
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Quote Originally Posted by LUCKYDAWG13 View Post
    You know I was just wondering if I could put something like that on my XDm
    Springfield makes an XDm competition model that has an optic mounted on it similar to the one shown.
    I don't see any reason you couldn't have something like that done yourself.

Boolit Master
    You can send your slide to be cut. Im not up on XDMs but Lone wolf does the cut for 99.00.

I just bought a stainless slide for 189 because I wanted it.

Boolit Master
    You need to know what optic you want before cutting slide. Not all optics work with each other. My RMR cut works for Trijicon and Holosun? (Spelling)

There are some systems that use a plate so different optics could be used.

Boolit Master

Thanks will look into it
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Master
    Carry optics is a fast growing division in USPSA.

Having been a USPSA member & competitor for 20 years or so,, I have seen a lot of changes. When I first joined,, there was "Open, Limited & Revolver." Now, we have many different divisions.
    I see a lot of shooters who have hit a plateau in their "comfortable" division,,, who try a different category,, and it re-energizes them in the sport. Carry optics seems to be one of these things!

Boolit Master
    I use a Walther Q5 Match with a Trijicon RMR 9 moa green dot for USPSA carry optics, just something different to try.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by contender1 View Post
    Carry optics is a fast growing division in USPSA.

Having been a USPSA member & competitor for 20 years or so,, I have seen a lot of changes. When I first joined,, there was "Open, Limited & Revolver." Now, we have many different divisions.
    I see a lot of shooters who have hit a plateau in their "comfortable" division,,, who try a different category,, and it re-energizes them in the sport. Carry optics seems to be one of these things!
    I fall in to this catagory. I shoot production. I'm a good at reloads but the stage plan gets complicated. I'm looking forward to less reloads and more attention to shooting my way into and out of positions. I'm good at having my gun up and ready but it's hard to concentrate on movement when you are reloading.

Now I just have to find the dot.....????

Boolit Master

I just mounted a Burris Fastfire III on my Glock 19 Gen 5 MOS. It wasn't the best optic for the job, but it was the best optic that I could afford...

I'm relatively young, sort of. I just turned 50 a week ago. But I have always had horrible eyesight. This past summer, I noticed the group sizes of my pistols were getting larger. I had toyed with a cheap red dot sight on my Glock 29 10mm and liked it, but my astigmatism caused the dot to be distorted. I shot a couple of GSSF matches with and without the sight and the scores with the red dot were slightly better.

My normal match pistol is a Gen 4 G35 with a Dawson FO front sight and stock Glock rear. I noticed that with my latest pair of progressive lense glasses, the near sight area was smaller and now my sights are blurry. Subsequent accuracy testing of the new G19 was frustrating, so I bought the Burris to mount to see if the groups shrink. However, due to the astigmatism, the dot is still distorted, even with the higher quality Burris. Planning on going to the range tomorrow so I guess I'll see if the new sight helps.

The G19 is my primary carry weapon. My plan is to turn the sight on when I holster the pistol and head out on the town. It has an auto shutoff feature after 8 hours, but I'm rarely in town for more than a few hours, so shouldn't be an issue. The pistol is also under a shirt and jacket, so no issue with rain or anything.

The biggest problem is finding a new holster that works with the new sight. My favorite was a Don Hume IWB leather holster that no longer accommodates the pistol with the sight installed. My other was a leather OWB that also no longer works.

I just ordered a new Kydex CYA IWB that might work, but will definitely work with some minor tweaking with a dremel. We'll see...

The new optic:

Attachment 232773

Attachment 232774
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Master
    Do you shoot any matches beside GSSF?
    Last edited by GARD72977; 12-27-2018 at 01:56 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    I'm having my G17 slide cut at the moment. Im looking forward to getting it back.

Going to put a deltapoint pro on it.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by GARD72977 View Post
    Do you shoot any matched beside GSSF?
    Nope. None around here closer than 300 miles.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

I am nearsighted and since I have gotten older, my eyes have gotten so they don't focus as well as they used to. One eye, my aiming eye, is much weaker than my off eye. With my regular glasses on, the sights on my handgun are blurry enough that precise aiming is impossible. Optics might be an improvement since they worked on my rifles.
    However, I found a trick to make thing work for me. By using a pair of safety glasses that have no prescription in them(just plain lenses) my aiming eye is able to see the sights clearly. My off eye is much stronger at distance than my aiming eye. While the target isn't perfectly clear, it is good enough and the sights are sharp.
    My groups are much improved since doing this.
    I am giving some thought to buying a set of glasses that have my regular prescription in my off eye and no prescription in my aiming eye, possibly making everything sharp at the same time. Without a prescription lens in front of my aiming eye, it will focus clearly no farther than about 5 feet in front of my face no matter where I am looking. The sights on my handgun fall into the clear and sharp area.
    So by looking at the target with a prescription in front of my off eye and a plain lens in front of my aiming eye(I shoot both eyes open), I will have a sharp target and sharp sights.
    Not certain I want to spend the money for another pair of special use glasses yet, but it is certainly an interesting thought.

Boolit Master
    I don't compete but purchased the Sig 320 RX Compact, mainly due to the mounted optics. Been using red dot sights on handguns, since the early 80's. Have three Trijicon (full size) reflexes, since they were first introduced. Being able to use the open sights is a plus.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1080967.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	38.8 KB 
ID:	232782

Winelover

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    I am nearsighted and since I have gotten older, my eyes have gotten so they don't focus as well as they used to. One eye, my aiming eye, is much weaker than my off eye. With my regular glasses on, the sights on my handgun are blurry enough that precise aiming is impossible. Optics might be an improvement since they worked on my rifles.
    However, I found a trick to make thing work for me. By using a pair of safety glasses that have no prescription in them(just plain lenses) my aiming eye is able to see the sights clearly. My off eye is much stronger at distance than my aiming eye. While the target isn't perfectly clear, it is good enough and the sights are sharp.
    My groups are much improved since doing this.
    I am giving some thought to buying a set of glasses that have my regular prescription in my off eye and no prescription in my aiming eye, possibly making everything sharp at the same time. Without a prescription lens in front of my aiming eye, it will focus clearly no farther than about 5 feet in front of my face no matter where I am looking. The sights on my handgun fall into the clear and sharp area.
    So by looking at the target with a prescription in front of my off eye and a plain lens in front of my aiming eye(I shoot both eyes open), I will have a sharp target and sharp sights.
    Not certain I want to spend the money for another pair of special use glasses yet, but it is certainly an interesting thought.
    I have prescription glasses with the lens for my aiming eye focused at the pistol sight and normal prescription for the other eye, this has really increased my scores in IDPA matches. The targets are a bit out of focus at 20 yards but most targets are closer than that. My every day glasses have just the opposite set up.

Boolit Master
    I did the same with the glasses. I was fortunate to have an eye doctor willing to work with me. A reading lens with a focal distance of about 30" for the dominate eye, and a normal prescription lens for the other. It takes a few minutes for your brain to adjust. After that your front sight is sharp, while normal vision is unaffected. This works great for rifles also, as the focal distance for the front sight is similar.

Boolit Master
    Intresting idea for glasses. I had not thought of that. I'm on the downhill slide with vision
    Not going to fight it.

Boolit Buddy
    I had the slide on my CZ milled for an optic and moved from production to carry optics this year. It’s fun but I’ve struggled to fully adapt to the dot. I have learned a few things:

During the stress of a stage I still find myself focusing on the dot instead of the target. (No issues during practice, just during stages)

Although I can put 23 rounds in my 140mm mags, I’ve learned to strip a round out of them if they need to crammed in during a stage. (So, 24 rounds at the start is no problem but only 22 rounds for reloads during a stage)

There are times when that stupid dot gets hopelessly lost. I’m hoping to get more dry fire practice in after the holidays to improve my ability to find the dot.

Finding the dot on draws that require me to transfer to weak hand are going to take some practice. No issues during dry fire but during a match it takes forever to find that dot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Bub
    There is a mount made by springer precision that replaces your rear sight. Ive done them on glocks and xdm's