Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Inline FabricationRepackboxWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2

Thread: Jap type 99 aircraft sights

Boolit Master

Jap type 99 aircraft sights

Can someone tell me what size screws I need to hold the wings to the sight. I have the folding wings but no screws.

Banned

Don't feel bad, I'm told I have quite a few screws loose (and missing) too.

Seriously, I have no idea, but I've had the itch to own a good shooter Arisaka for a while now. I hope you get her up and running. Surely someone on here has dealt with this before.

Boolit Master
    i can't say what the thread size is on the screws but they look like this one here. There is also a leaf spring used to lock the anti-aircraft sights in place. That tends to be the really hard thing to find. One could make the screws on a lathe. ACE hardware probably has the metric screws. Chucking them up in a drill press and using a file to mill down the shank wouldn't be terribly difficult, if you don't have a lathe of course. Making new leaf springs might be a hassle, but not terribly difficult though. But it would be nice to have one for a reference to use though. I have the sights on my 99's, but mine are missing the leaf springs.

There are some online stores that might have some in stock to sell. But they have them going for high prices though.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WW2-Japanese-Arisaka-Rifle-Type-99-Anti-Aircraft-Wing.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	42.1 KB 
ID:	232547

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Original-WWII-Japanese-Arisaka-Type-99-aircraft-sights-_1.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	23.2 KB 
ID:	232548
    Last edited by Earlwb; 12-23-2018 at 12:34 AM. Reason: add more info

Boolit Master

Gun screws. . .I learned long ago to pretty much give up hope of finding an exact match of pitch and head size through any kind of hardware source. Best to just bite the weenie and seek out the originals.

I would just 'net search a bunch of places that are selling "Arisaka parts", then just send them all an email asking for what you need, even if you don't find it in their menu of available options. Enough 99's were brought back and Bubba'd that there should be plenty in various states of disrepair to rehabilitate the ones that suffered less. I expect most of those places have a few they've yet to part out.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Mold
    Several online resouce are available, if you not looking for 100% original parts, reproduction for replacement.
    One of example link; http://cfnparts.com/index.php?route=...egory&path=824
    You may found by "Arisaka Parts" at Google search,, don't give up, they are available and someone have it.

Those old japanese rifle from during WWII era, Mertealic thread pitch are NOT currentry use at JIS (Japan Industory Standard) So not available at any place other than gun parts supplyers, just let you know.
    Last edited by Shiori357; 01-22-2019 at 12:34 AM.

Boolit Master

Alturas, California...where the west still lives!
    I was missing both screws for the bayonet lug (nosecap) on a 99, and found out they were a normal metric thread pitch and size. I ended up making a pair of screws from drill rod, but the die was readily available online....https://www.victornet.com/productpag...FQL2ggod4iBehg.

If you can get a metric thread pitch gauge, you might try checking the threads.......since metric screws are proportional to their thread pitch, a replacement might be found then modify the head and shank to fit.

Boolit Buddy
    Gun Parts Corp
    Liberty Tree
    SARCO
    They all have the screws you need.
    But if you need those little springs, lots of luck.