MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingLoad DataRepackboxLee Precision
Reloading Everything Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: honestly useful electric scales

Banned

honestly useful electric scales

Im abandoning my lee beam scale. It is GREAT for checking to see if a charge is "on" but not for getting to that charge weight.. to much movement.

As I cant seem to find small beam scales under 100 dollars, id like to look at a decent electric scale that actually CAN work.

Boolit Master
    Its pretty hard to find an electronic scale that doesnt work.....if you spend over $20...........just check the accuracy before using,as they all tell you in the manual that comes with them.......and unlike an old balance,the battery will run down and need replacement.

Boolit Grand Master

I have been using a Gem pro 250 for several years now and very satisfied has a great range. can be ran off outlet or batteries, coms with an anti vibration pad and calibration weight weighs in 5 different scales IE grains grams troy. Built in cover. and reads to .02 grains. Mine was around $125.00 3-4 years ago

My cheap Frankford Arsenal is still going strong. Have had no complaints.

Boolit Master

I have gotten good service out of my Pact scale and dispenser.

Moderator Emeritus

In the market for a fairly inexpensive "check" scale, I ended up with a Dillon D-terminator. Dillon site has it in the $130 price range, (https://www.dillonprecision.com/d-te...8_7_25213.html), but I found mine for a few dollars lower priced -- $99.99 with free shipping on an auction site. As much is it come with weight check weights, I have the small RCBS weight collection -- resembles sections of cut paper clips -- and regularly double check it with these. (In loading, say, .32 Auto, a couple tenths of a grain is significant!) I'm most happy with the one I purchased. Coming with a wall-wart for power, nothing else is needed, although I have and use AA batteries in mine.
    Good luck!
    geo

Quote Originally Posted by MyFlatline View Post
    Same here. I have the ~$20 one and the bigger more expensive one...both work well and are accurate to one tenth a grain.

Boolit Master

I have MTM scale. I dont really use it that much because I use the Lee scale mostly. Last year I have gotten a deeper liking to analogue. I noticed my digital scales and calipers get wonky when the batteries get low. Then indicate off for a little bit with new batteries. Atleast the scale i could calibrate and fix but the calipers i packed away and havent touched since.

If you are talking about the movement while it balances, then just let it bounce off your finger once. By the time you seat a bullet and get the next case ready to charge it will be ballances.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Quote Originally Posted by MyFlatline View Post
    Same here, I bought mine on sale at midway years ago, and it is very consistent.

Banned

PACT is out of the scale business and will not do warranty repairs. The Gem Pro 250 is a good choice. I got a scale from Ballistic Products that works well. My PACT still works. Dillion has done right by me. I will probably try the D-Terminator next.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Ateam View Post
    Same here, I bought mine on sale at midway years ago, and it is very consistent.
    I too have a FA. For the price I paid I was shocked at how consistently accurate it is. Much better than my PACT which I paid a lot more for! I still verify my Digitals with a balance when I start up. I don't trust "self tests".

Boolit Master
    to much movement
    Get a scale that has dampening, my 5-10 works great and is pretty fast.

electric scale that actually CAN work
    They all work until they don't and how do you know when they aren't?

Boolit Master

The Lee scales are magnet dampened.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Banned
    I know the magnetic dampening is the main crutch of the lee scale. So many you tube complaint videos on it. That ill simply say, its a major safety nuisance when your weighing every charge.

Now when you simply toss it to 5 grains, and weigh every 4th or 5th charge to check consistency, its FINE. but when you have the need to weigh EVERY charge it gets to be a bad thing.

If they would redesign the beam so that the magnets CANT stop the beam it would be nice.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by jmort View Post
    My PACT still works.
    +1

If you manually stop MOST of the "bounce" in a balance beam scale it should settle down fairly quickly. Do this with a plastic spoon that is grounded on the bench and then pivoted into the balance pan to stop it from fluxuating. Slowly pivot the spoon away and the damper should do the rest to stop the bounce of the beam.

Keep your electronic scale plugged in or at least give it 10 minutes to warm up and come to its own equilibrium. Check it periodically too and remember, it is also calibrated within +/-0.1 grain.

Remember, there are many who do not even use a scale for their reloading, and instead use VOLUME. Whichever way you choose BE CONSISTENT.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master
    Redding, RCBS both have balance beam scales under $100. DO NOT judge balance beam scales by the Lee. I have a Lee and it is tiresome and difficult to use, though very accurate. I am using an RCBS 505 I have had a very long time. Of the electronic scales, the Gemtech is the only one I would use for measuring powder. I have tried a couple of the less expensive electronic scales and don't care for the 'drift' I seem to encounter, fine for brass and bullets. I seldom weigh all my charges. I use the Lee Perfect Powder measure checking with the RCBS 505 every 5 to 10 charges, never a reason to weigh individual charges with most modern powders. If it a ball powder and I am loading more than 20 my powder checks get farther and farther apart. Of course, the guys using progressive loaders seldom check charge weights once the press is setup.

Boolit Master

+1 on a beam scale RCBS/Lyman etc.
    I have a RCBS chargemaster light and love it, but I check it with my RCBS 505 scale.
    I also have a Frankford arsenal digital scale, but use it to weigh brass and bullets. It's good but trust my other two for powder.

Boolit Master

Another alternative

Hi all. In addition to the FA scale, I also got one of these from Amazon. It's got a resolution of 0.01gn and accuracy of 0.001g/0.0154gn, so it's plenty precise to measure what you'd like if you need to go beyond the 0.1gn resolution of the FA scale. The other benefit is it's ~$7.00 less expensive than the FA scale. Also, like @Land_Owner said, make sure you let your scale warm up and make sure it's calibrated using the check weight that should have come with it. Ed

Attachment 232503

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rcmaveric View Post
    The Lee scales are magnet dampened.
    Not the one I had, or it sure didn't act like it. Got the RCBS and couldn't be happier. I don't weigh every charge though, throw and check every once in a while. Some powders don't flow well though and those I trickle up. I avoid powders that won't flow, although I do use Varget and 4895, etc, for some hunting loads that I don't need a lot of.
    Last edited by str8wal; 12-22-2018 at 11:49 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

Several things help the balance beam scales slow and settle faster. One keep it out of drafts from heat vents windows, How you pour the charge in, just a quick dump gets the pan swinging and moving faster and more. A slow trickle type pour doesn't disturb the pan as much. A solid vibration free setting, if press movements bumps or other vibrations are transferred it may never completely settle. move as much static electricity from the area as possible.

Another thing that should be done and actually proves the set up, scale, and its settings is to purchase a set of check weights ( lyman RCBS) and use them like gage blocks. When you setup and set the scales to a charge weight. Use the weights that add up to the charge and check the scales there. IE for a 18 grn charge a 10 grn a 5 grn a 2 grn and a 1 grn weight used together makes the 18 grn setting. This tells you the set up is good the scales are set accurately and working properly.

The older oil dampened scales ran "dry" can be very accurate but take a long time to settle. Light oil helps here and playing with the viscosity can help also.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast