Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLoad Data
RepackboxWidenersLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lee breechlock pro or loadmaster

Boolit Master
    What really speeds up the loading process on a Pro 1000 is the case feeder, it limits what your left hand does to placing the bullet in the case and your right works the lever.
    So it's place a bullet, pull the lever down/push it up-repeat for the Pro 1000.

As I see it, for the Breech Lock Pro it's place a bullet(not sure which hand, it' way in the back), pull the lever down, load a primer via the pez dispenser(left hand), load one case into the hole in the die plate(right hand?), push the lever up and seat the primer - repeat.
    That's 3 operator inputs at 2 different points in a single cycle and would be an opportunity for me to forget the primer and have powder leaking out, just me though.
    I've watched a lot of youtube vids on the Breech Lock Pro where loaders forgot to work the pez dispenser, that's what soured me on that press.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenstone View Post
    What really speeds up the loading process on a Pro 1000 is the case feeder, it limits what your left hand does to placing the bullet in the case and your right works the lever.
    So it's place a bullet, pull the lever down/push it up-repeat for the Pro 1000.

As I see it, for the Breech Lock Pro it's place a bullet(not sure which hand, it' way in the back), pull the lever down, load a primer via the pez dispenser(left hand), load one case into the hole in the die plate(right hand?), push the lever up and seat the primer - repeat.
    That's 3 operator inputs at 2 different points in a single cycle and would be an opportunity for me to forget the primer and have powder leaking out, just me though.
    I've watched a lot of youtube vids on the Breech Lock Pro where loaders forgot to work the pez dispenser, that's what soured me on that press.
    Pretty sure case feeder is an option on the Lee BLP.

Quote Originally Posted by soldierbilly1 View Post
    Black Jacque:
    I have had them both for about 2 years or so. I prefer the LM, its faster and once you get past the learning curve, it is mo betta! Billy boy
    I have a Auto Breech Lock Pro and I thought they just came out this past year. Were you a beta tester?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rbstern View Post
    Pretty sure case feeder is an option on the Lee BLP.
    Yes, just the case tubes/collator assembly is an option, the push bar is included with the press, other things that are an "option": shell plate, primer pez dispenser, dies, PM, etc.

Boolit Buddy

Correction

Quote Originally Posted by kmw1954 View Post
    I have a Auto Breech Lock Pro and I thought they just came out this past year. Were you a beta tester?
    I apologize! I have had the Breech Lock for only 6 months, the LM for considerably longer than that!
    I got the BL on sale at Midway for about $98. the LM I think was about $175. I think they upped the price on the BL. If this is the case, IMHO, the LM is a better deal. The LM is built like a tank, the BL not so much. they both work! bill boy
    PS If you are only shooting a moderate amount, I would go for the turret and forgo the progressive altogether. The single stage CoAx is great for rifle, not pistol! good luck and let us know how you make out.

soldierbilly1
    No intention of offending, hope it wasn't taken that way. I bought the BLP because I needed the 4th station for the FCD for my 45acp loads. When I ordered the shellplate for the press I received the wrong one the 1st time so instead of waiting for a replacement I ordered the correct one then exchanged the wrong one for a 9mm plate. Now I just had a member send me a 380 plate that he will not use. So now I have all I use on the Pro1000 for the BLP. Will see how this works out and if I want to migrate everything from the Pro1000 to the BLP.

Boolit Master

I have the classic turret. Im very happy with it.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by kmw1954 View Post
    soldierbilly1
    No intention of offending, hope it wasn't taken that way. I bought the BLP because I needed the 4th station for the FCD for my 45acp loads. When I ordered the shellplate for the press I received the wrong one the 1st time so instead of waiting for a replacement I ordered the correct one then exchanged the wrong one for a 9mm plate. Now I just had a member send me a 380 plate that he will not use. So now I have all I use on the Pro1000 for the BLP. Will see how this works out and if I want to migrate everything from the Pro1000 to the BLP.
    Do the shell plates interchange?

The Pro1000 uses a 3 position shell plate while the Breech Lock Pro uses a four position shell plate.

Boolit Master
    I've loaded upwards of 15000 rounds on my Loadmaster in the last couple years. The only issues I've had were mostly with the bullet feeder, and the priming function. The priming setup would occasionally get one in sideways, probably about on in five hundred or so. The bullet feeder was the biggest problem for me. Now I just prime off the press and feed bullets by hand. This allows me to set it up like this, station one sizes without the decapping rod, two flares and drops powder, three is a powder cop die, four seats the bullet, and five crimps. I have relegated it to only loading 9mm and .38sp since I shoot these in the highest volume.

^ The Lee bullet feeder is a waste of time. It would be decent if the “fingers” were not plastic. There used to be a commercial feeder that operated in much the same way except the back and forth action was pneumatic and the fingers were metal and tension was by spring and was adjustable.

You can get the Lee to work for awhile before it starts spitting bullets out, then take it apart and boil the fingers and load a few more before you have to repeat. That gets old pretty quick.

Boolit Master
    Feeding bullets by hand is pretty easy, and even though slower it works out about the same time wise when you factor in time lost due to the bullet feeder malfunctioning. And since I decap prior to cleaning brass anyway no time is really lost on the bench since I hand prime while watching tv in the living room. For me this just simplifies my process while increasing the safety factor by giving me the ability to incorporate a powder cop die. I still get one loaded round for one pull of the handle.

Boolit Master

I use a hornady bullet feeding die with my 40 S&W that I load on my LM. I prime off press, size (with no decapping pin) in station 1, flair and powder in station 2, have the hornady bullet feed die in station 3, seat die in station 4 and a taper crimp die in station 5. The hornady bullet feed die is about 95% with my MP-Molds slick sided powdercoat 155gr HP's.

I have two load masters Il sell you if make me a offer.

PM if interested with all the stuff that come withthem.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I just sold my loadmaster , and have now loaded a few thousand rounds on a breechLock pro.
    In my experience once set up and running smooth the loadmaster will make more ammo per hour than the breech lock pro but for the way I load the breechlock is quicker to get running smooth and make caliber changes on.
    I only load pistol rounds on these presses and I want to prime on the press (I deprime on a single stage before cleaning cases ) I like the priming system on the breechlock I can see the primer is correctly in position on the ram befor seating , and the way the press is set up with clean cases I can see the the seated primer through the flash hole after seating. The priming system allows you to mount a plastic bin under the feed so if I do fumble a primer it falls in the bin.
    Both presses are easy to use with or without a case feeder (I don’t use a bullet feeder on either press. ) the breech lock is easier to see the powder in the case and for me easier to correct a problem.
    For me the the breech lock may be slower but is more enjoyable to load on
    Update I said I can see the primer through the primer hole I can’t on 38,357,327 cases
    Last edited by onelight; 03-05-2019 at 12:26 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by onelight View Post
    I just sold my loadmaster , and have now loaded a few thousand rounds on a breechLock pro.
    In my experience once set up and running smooth the loadmaster will make more ammo per hour than the breech lock pro but for the way I load the breechlock is quicker to get running smooth and make caliber changes on.
    I only load pistol rounds on these presses and I want to prime on the press (I deprime on a single stage before cleaning cases ) I like the priming system on the breechlock I can see the primer is correctly in position on the ram befor seating , and the way the press is set up with clean cases I can see the the seated primer through the flash hole after seating. The priming system allows you to mount a plastic bin under the feed so if I do fumble a primer it falls in the bin.
    Both presses are easy to use with or without a case feeder (I don’t use a bullet feeder on either press. ) the breech lock is easier to see the powder in the case and for me easier to correct a problem.
    For me the the breech lock may be slower but is more enjoyable to load on
    Thanks for sharing this information.

Boolit Buddy
    I have no experience with the Loadmaster and cannot compare the two. I have used the Breechlock Pro a little, maybe 500 rounds, and the biggest issue has been getting the Safety Prime system to work correctly. Sometimes the primers do not go from the Safety Prime into the primer cup on the priming arm and sometimes it will eject the primer after I have moved the Safety Prime back to the resting position. Admittedly, some of the problem is operator error and that may work itself out with more experience. Sometimes I get frustrated and resort to manually loading the primers into the primer arm cup.

Gus Youmans

Boolit Mold
    I only load 9mm. I started on a single stage Lee,then moved to a 4 hole turret. Once I was happy there I went to the Loadmaster. The priming system on the Loadmaster was so frustrating that I ended up priming on my single stage. With that in mind what is the point then? I JUST got the Breechlock Pro Tuesday. I've already set it up and have it running with no issues. The two (lol) times I had that Loadmaster running well it spit ammo out at an amazing pace. Once I deducted the time it took to get there,it was no faster than my turret press. YMMV

Boolit Master
    Here's a vid of a guy at Titan loading with the Breech Lock Pro, with a brass magazine:

He looks to be walking around the back to place the bullet but didn't miss a pez dispenser primer load:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtNQ2bkFiAc

Sorry if this vid was posted in this thread before,

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jmorris View Post
    ^ The Lee bullet feeder is a waste of time. It would be decent if the “fingers” were not plastic. There used to be a commercial feeder that operated in much the same way except the back and forth action was pneumatic and the fingers were metal and tension was by spring and was adjustable.

You can get the Lee to work for awhile before it starts spitting bullets out, then take it apart and boil the fingers and load a few more before you have to repeat. That gets old pretty quick.
    Knowing your great mechanical abilities from your other posts, I'm surprised you didn't come up with a work-around to remedy this issue.
    Maybe attach a length of music wire or a strip of spring steel along the outside length of the fingers to increase/strengthen the pinch tension.
    You must have had bigger/better challenges going on at the time.
    Thanks for what you post here and on other forums, I find it very interesting.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast