WidenersSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2

Thread: NOE 22 cal Hunter Mold

Boolit Buddy

NOE 22 cal Hunter Mold

Guys

The new 22 Hunter mold is for sell on the NOE site,

http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/index.php?cPath=24_587

This mold is the lighter weight of the Mag Hunter pellets.

Tia,
    Don

Wow, i just looked last night and they were’nt there yet. This is the one i’ve Been waiting on and the wadcutters too.
    I may have to wait till after Christmas now, so hope he stocked a bunch of them!
    Good news for sure!

Boolit Master
    What the world calls "Global Warming", we in Arizona call "Summer Time."
    I knew this was going to happen. Just as I spend the money that I had allotted for the purchase of this particular pellet mold then they finally have it on the shelves. Oh well. It's going to have to wait till after Christmas some time now. Might be a good thing too. It will give me a chance to look out for hands-on reviews of the pellets cast from these specific molds.

I read good reviews of the initial pellet mold offerings so I'm hoping that any write ups on these 20 grain pellet molds will be equally as positive.

HollowPoint

Boolit Buddy

Since I found them,
    there has been 2 of the 4 cav brass and 1 of the 2 cav sold.
    I know where 2 of them went.......LOL

Tia,
    Don

Boolit Buddy

HP

If I have as good or results as Wayne on the GTA site, I'll be tickled PINK.

He has been casting the Mag Hunter pellets and has extremely good luck with excellent results,
    he has been using Roto-Metals 99.9% pure lead and the variations in pellet weights is less than 2%.

He sent me some for testing the hardness/pencil testing and they were excellent results, better than JSB OEM pellets etc.

Wayne just picked up the Hunter mold also, so he'll be posting the results real soon.

Tia,
    Don

Boolit Buddy

35 Shooter

I haven't seen the target mold listed yet, but I am waiting for them, that will be the next one,
    I'll post when they are posted, I check at least 1-twice a day. LOL

Now, if NOE would bring out a 17 caliber Hunter or Mag Hunter or target pellet molds,
    I would be fat, dumb and happy, as there seems to be a shortage of pellet molds being produced in the U.S.

Then I would have at least 1 mold for all the calibers I use/shoot, including the pistols, both air rifle and PB's etc.

Tia,
    Don

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by nvreloader View Post
    HP

If I have as good or results as Wayne on the GTA site, I'll be tickled PINK.

He has been casting the Mag Hunter pellets and has extremely good luck with excellent results,
    he has been using Roto-Metals 99.9% pure lead and the variations in pellet weights is less than 2%.

He sent me some for testing the hardness/pencil testing and they were excellent results, better than JSB OEM pellets etc.

Wayne just picked up the Hunter mold also, so he'll be posting the results real soon.

Tia,
    Don
    I look forward to your write ups on these pellet molds. I'm hoping for the best.

HollowPoint

There are two problems with trying for a .177 cal pellet.... First, the minimum diameter for the RG pins to make the base cavities is 0.200".... Secondly, the waist of the tool would be tiny.... The head of the tool must be able to pass through the waist, so the diameter of it must be the difference in the diameter of the head, minus the waist, smaller than the waist.... With the proportions of the current pellets, the waist of the tool would only be 0.085", which would be hard to make, and easy to break....

Having said that, NOE have managed to make some 0.172" bullets with lube grooves of 0.146", which means the diameter of the tool where the grooves are is about 0.120".... If they could make a pellet tool with that waist diameter, it should be possible to make a .177 cal pellet with a waist that is 0.150" or so.... That is 85% of the head diameter instead of 75% like the rest of the NOE pellets.... but not out of line with some of the swaged pellets currently in production....

After Al had completed all the pellet designs we have already done, I will send him the designs I have drawn for .177 cal Target, Hunter and Magnum Hunter pellets.... You never know until you ask....

Bob

Boolit Buddy

Thanks Bob

Why does the waist of the 177 pellet have to be that small in dia?

Why couldn't the waist size be increased to around .145 to .150", meaning having a more parallel shank,
    that doesn't touch the lands (like the JSB Beasts/sniper waists) with a domed/slightly flatten head,
    that is slightly bore riding head with a normal skirt?

It would be slightly heavier, which might cause problems in the Springers and smaller pump ups,
    but a decent running PCP shouldn't have that many problems.

I would think a cast pellet length of around .350-.400" to fit 90% of the magazine available would be a very good options.

Since I have never handles a NOE mold (yet) with the base pins, for adjusting the pellets weights,
    (waiting on the Pony express to ride by), you should be able to get a variance in use able weights, all of this is just a SWAG on my part.

I'll be one of the first in line when he does make a 177 mold.......

Tia,
    Don

At 75% of the caliber, like the other pellets I designed, the waist on a .177 would be 0.133", which would require a tool that has a waist of only 0.085".... As I said above, if I increase the waist to 0.150", the waist of the tool increases to about 0.120", which is the same as a .172 cal bullet NOE make now.... I am hoping that means they could make a cutting tool.... However, then we are still left with the minimum diameter of the base pins of 0.200" as another problem to solve....

I will ask at the appropriate time....

Bob

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rsterne View Post
    At 75% of the caliber, like the other pellets I designed, the waist on a .177 would be 0.133", which would require a tool that has a waist of only 0.085".... As I said above, if I increase the waist to 0.150", the waist of the tool increases to about 0.120", which is the same as a .172 cal bullet NOE make now.... I am hoping that means they could make a cutting tool.... However, then we are still left with the minimum diameter of the base pins of 0.200" as another problem to solve....

I will ask at the appropriate time....

Bob
    I know that NOE is in the business of making mold but, in the case of such a small pellet like the .177, would it be possible for them to machine a stand alone pellet swage in that caliber? They could still make an adjustable pellet mold but such a mold would just be used to cast specific weights of cylindrical lead pellets. Those specifically weighted cylindrical pellets could then be inserted into the pellet swage to form the .177 pellets.

This way you could use a series of appropriately sized little ball reamers to cut the outside geometry shape of the pellet into the walls of your swage die; which I suppose could be made out of steel. I made such a setup on my hobby machines here at home. My swage was made to fit my arbor press so it was no problem swaging .22 cal pellets. I think it would take even less force to form a .177 pellet so in theory you could design a swage die to fit a reloading press. (the stronger presses) The only problem I ran into were that of tolerances. My hobby mill and my metal lathe and my lack of expertise would not allow for the ultra tight tolerances I needed when I made my pellet swage dies.

HollowPoint

I doubt they would be interested, but next time I am talking to Al I will ask him.... It is quite a different technology, with vastly different problems.... Usually dies for swaging are made from tool steel....

Bob

Boolit Buddy
    Who makes a push through sizing die and punch for these pellets? Does the Lee .224 sizing die work? Does anyone in this thread own this mold? If so, would you consider selling me a few pellets to try in my rifle before I take the plunge and purchase this mold?
    Last edited by igolfat8; 12-30-2018 at 08:52 AM.

Boolit Buddy

Igolfat8

Noe makes both pellet .217" and .224" push thru sizing dies,
    see info here,
    http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/index.php?cPath=564_104

I bought one 4 cavity pellet molds in the Standard and Magnum pellet sizes,
    also got the pellet sizing dies at the time, but the Pony Express has not dropped them off yet.

As to the size/types of pellets, it all depends on your shooting platform, which preform the best etc.

Tia,
    Don

Boolit Buddy
    Anybody shooting these pellets yet and if so, how do they compare to JSB’s as far as accuracy in your guns?

Boolit Master
    I have the same questions as igolfat8, my cast pellets have not been as accurate as JSBs, I have the .25 and the .30 cal. pellet molds.

Boolit Buddy

Guys
    Go here to read about these pellets, several shooters are reporting great accuracy,
    I have not got my moulds up and running yet, working on a pellet sizer/head bumper, first,
    using NOE dies and A Lyman 45 press etc.

https://www.gatewaytoairguns.org/GTA...hp?board=229.0

Tia,
    Don

In particular Wayne over on the GTA is having stunning success with these pellets.... Part of that is that he is "pressure pouring" using a hooded ladle, and getting 100% fillout on the skirts.... His pellets are a work of art.... I just converted a Lee bottom pour pot so that I can pressure pour, and my casting results have gone from 30-50% rejects to virtually none.... Here is the results....

I won't have a chance to test the accuracy outside until the snow melts in the spring.... but Wayne is getting results comparable to JSBs, and the meplat hits like a truck on game....

Bob

Boolit Master
    Those look really pristine. It's enough to make the pellet manufactures hang their heads in shame. These are the heavies correct? I haven't been keeping up with this thread. What caliber? I've never heard of "Pressure Pouring." What exactly is that and what does it entail? I imagine that this same "Pressure Pouring" melting pot can be used on bullets as well and have the same benefits.

HollowPoint

Yes, those are the .22 Magnum Hunter (heavy) pellets.... I just started a thread on pressure pouring with my Lee pot....

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...essure-Pouring

Bob