Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Load DataWidenersRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication

Thread: Leading in muzzle break

Leading in muzzle break

I've got an AR10 style .308 that I have been developing a load for.

I have a load that gave me about 2450 fps and reasonable accuracy. I had a few fliers but for the most part it was pretty much on.

The boolits I was shooting were 174 grn from the NOE 311-174-FN mould. The boolits are gas checked, powder coated and tumbled in Alox. I was shooting these with 41 grn of Varget and had only partially flattened primers as signs of pressure.

I ran a bore scope though the barrel and I have zero leading in the barrel. BUT I have some lead splatter on the muzzle break.

What do you do about this? I'll clean it up with some chore boy, but I'm a little curious why I get lead just in the muzzle break. Also, I was planning on not powder coating the next set of boolits and use Ben's Red / BLL instead.

One interesting thing is I shot about 25 of the same COL/boolit/size under some lower loads and got poorer accuracy but no leading in the muzzle break. This last session I had a lot of fun smoking clays and golf balls, so I ended up going through about 80 rounds...

After using the search function, I think I'll just take the muzzle break off and just put a thread protector on...

Banned
    doing that will mess with your sights.

could simply just start doing a load ladder using the clean burning ones.

Or it could be the lube used. As someone with a compensator, im more worried on bullets getting through it.

If I may ask, why is the lead on the muzzle break an issue?
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Dip it in Ed's Red before you go shooting. Should help.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    same problem with my 300 BO. I have read many other shooters have this problem and getting lead in their can's. Not sure what to do about it.

I think I'm going to go ahead and take the brake off. I know the folks on the line will appreciate it and it seems like it'll help with accuracy.

Boolit Grand Master

I accidentally posted on the other suppressor thread, but the question is the same. How can you have lead splatter with a powder coated bullet?

Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    I accidentally posted on the other suppressor thread, but the question is the same. How can you have lead splatter with a powder coated bullet?
    I actually had some flakes of powder coat in the muzzle break as well... So I'm assuming violent things happen when the boolit exits the barrel into the muzzle break...

When I get a chance, I'll see if my bore scope can snap a pic.