Lee PrecisionInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Snyders JerkyWidenersLoad DataTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Firing lead shot from rifled barrel?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by fastdadio View Post
    I've done it. a 28 ga shot cup fits a .54 bore like it's made for it. My results were dismal, and the effort wasn't worth the price of the wads. From about 20 yds, I think about 3 BB's hit the paper. It was almost like that shot cleared the muzzle and went side ways.
    I dont have any science but I reckon a rifled barrel does way better with just a shot charge and a card wad - the plastic shot cup wad didnt work for me either.

Banned

yeesh, what a waste of time and money that's all better spent on doing it proper with a smoothbore.

Boolit Mold
    I have had outstanding results making homemade shot cups in slow twist barrel. out to 20 -25 yards. For a 50 cal I use a tube from dry cleaners hanger or 7/16th dowel as Cartridge former. 1 1/2" x 3" of light cardboard such as File Folder or waxed cardboard from box of Frozen Vegetables is about right. Wrap around former tape closed w/ scotch Tape plug bottom w/ glued in card board or cotton. I use 45 G of fff G & 45- 50 G of # 7 1/2 bird shot. 1 over powder card, stack of 4 or 5 discs of corragated cardboard for wad, then shot cup w/ shot & 1 over shot card ( cereal box cardboard) can cut petals in shot cup if desired. Sounds complicated but isn't, just make up in small batches & will have them when you want them. Dave Canterbury has a video showing birdshot in rifle without the shot cup. shot never touches bore when using shot cup, pick one up down range & you will see how well they work : ) I am very fortunate to be able to experiment in my back yard.

Boolit Master
    It was a recognised method of shooting small game whilst on a campaign by substituting a wad and Bird shot for the Bullet.I have broken Clays with a rifled weapon many times.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Col4570 View Post
    It was a recognised method of shooting small game whilst on a campaign by substituting a wad and Bird shot for the Bullet.I have broken Clays with a rifled weapon many times.
    Yeah it works ! keep the powder charge low is part of the trick I reckon - too much seems to blow the centre out of the pattern

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12