Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyLoad DataRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationWideners
Titan Reloading Repackbox

Thread: Ruger American rifle predator model

Boolit Buddy

Ruger American rifle predator model

Been reading about the 6.5 creedmore and saw that ruger had these in that caliber. Sounded like a good way to get into this long range stuff without breaking the bank. Anybody have experience with these. I'm just looking at this as a long range plinker, probably wouldn't hunt with it.
    Siamese4570

Banned
    Hmm the rifle itself is WONDERFUL. however .308 would be more fun.

Just get a spikes tactical dynacomp for it. youll love it even more

Boolit Mold
    I've got one in .308 and love it.

However, if you're looking at getting into long-range, with 6.5 creedmoor, for cheap, check out the Savage 12FV from Cabela's. They are on sale now for $379, and come with a free floated 26" heavy varmint barrel, adjustable AccuTrigger, and is pillar bedded. Plus, The action is their premium action, used in the 10/110 and 11/111 lines (not the inexpensive axis). I've got one of these too, and $379 is a steal.

As far as the Ruger American Predator, they are accurate and make a great hunting rifle that is quite versitile, but there are probably better candidates for long range. At 20" the American Predators have a somewhat light/short barrel for long range (of course that depends on how long range you are shooting), but that makes them light and very handy. The other two issues are that, at the lowest setting, the American Predator still has a bit of a heavy trigger for long range work (there are replacement springs for this, from MCarbo), and the barrel is not exactly free floated. The forearm has a contact point and is a bit flexy. I fixed mine with a dremel, but if you aren't really handy with it, you could bubba it up pretty bad, trying to relieve the for-end.

Long story short, I love the American Predator, but for what it looks like you are trying to accomplish, I would suggest the Savage 12FV.

Quote Originally Posted by HankePanky View Post
    I've got one in .308 and love it. As far as the Ruger American Predator, they are accurate and make a great hunting rifle that is quite versitile, but there are probably better candidates for long range. At 20" the American Predators have a somewhat light/short barrel for long range (of course that depends on how long range you are shooting), but that makes them light and very handy. The other two issues are that, at the lowest setting, the American Predator still has a bit of a heavy trigger for long range work (there are replacement springs for this, from MCarbo), and the barrel is not exactly free floated. The forearm has a contact point and is a bit flexy. I fixed mine with a dremel, but if you aren't really handy with it, you could bubba it up pretty bad, trying to relieve the for-end.
    I have the 6.5 Creed, and I also did ^^^this^^^ and agree with what HankePanky said. I'm still tweaking on it, but still haven't eeaked out the precision I get with my .223 RARP.

Quote Originally Posted by HankePanky View Post
    I've got one in .308 and love it.

However, if you're looking at getting into long-range, with 6.5 creedmoor, for cheap, check out the Savage 12FV from Cabela's. They are on sale now for $379, and come with a free floated 26" heavy varmint barrel, adjustable AccuTrigger, and is pillar bedded. Plus, The action is their premium action, used in the 10/110 and 11/111 lines (not the inexpensive axis). I've got one of these too, and $379 is a steal.

As far as the Ruger American Predator, they are accurate and make a great hunting rifle that is quite versitile, but there are probably better candidates for long range. At 20" the American Predators have a somewhat light/short barrel for long range (of course that depends on how long range you are shooting), but that makes them light and very handy. The other two issues are that, at the lowest setting, the American Predator still has a bit of a heavy trigger for long range work (there are replacement springs for this, from MCarbo), and the barrel is not exactly free floated. The forearm has a contact point and is a bit flexy. I fixed mine with a dremel, but if you aren't really handy with it, you could bubba it up pretty bad, trying to relieve the for-end.

Long story short, I love the American Predator, but for what it looks like you are trying to accomplish, I would suggest the Savage 12FV.
    Plus 1 for the Savage 12FV. I have two. 223 and 6.5cm
    Both are tack drivers.
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

Banned
    The Ruger is wonderful and a tack driver. No where near as ugly/clunky as the Savage. The Compass is also great and Waaay cheap with rebate running till 12/31.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2170.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	43.7 KB 
ID:	232571

Boolit Master
    Without a doubt, I like my Ruger American compact in 223. And the same would apply to the Predator series of the same but I would not go as far as labeling the Savage bolt guns as ugly.

Fuggly maybe, but not ugly.

The flexibility the Savage barrel nut system coupled with the abundance of barrels, new-used-OEM and custom, the platform might look clumpy, but it sure works. My most recent build, a short action left hand stainless in 22-250 stainless is hammering the Sierra 55 gr. HPBT into .230” for three @100 yds.

I don’t care if a 2x4 would do that, I would call that a keeper! I recently found a load that hovers around .280” with the Nosler 50 gr Ballistic Tip.

I will take looks off the table in exchange for accuracy any day of the week.

Three44s
    Last edited by Three44s; 12-23-2018 at 11:40 AM.

Nothing ugly about the Savage at all. Wonderful rifles. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	423BBDFB-3D85-401B-92B9-D35ADFE9E5F2.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	48.1 KB 
ID:	232708
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

Boolit Grand Master

HankeyPanky mentioned the 20" barrel on the Ruger American Predator which I thought was incorrect so I went and measured it. It is just over 21 1/2" to the front of the receiver so is probably considered a 22" barrel when measured down the bore to bolt face.
    Mine was very accurate as received but more so after sanding out the stock forearm area so it did not touch the barrel.

Boolit Master
    I have one in .308 with a 18" threaded muzzle barrel. I haven't shot it a lot, but when I sighted the scope in I was able to get 3 shots into about 2" at 200 yards.
    8500' Wet Mountain Valley, Colorado

My Ruger American Predator in 6.5 Creedmoor came straight from Ruger (replacement for an 7-08 American rifle that had a bad chamber) and it has a 22 inch barrel and is free floated with the exception of the first two inches of the barrel (breech end) and it shoots 1/2 to 3/4 inch with most everything put in it so far. I think some people may be having problems with their Ruger American magazines, so far mine hasn't had any problems.

Steve..........
    NRA Endowment Life Member
    GOA Life Member
    North American Hunting Club Life Member

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve E View Post
    My Ruger American Predator in 6.5 Creedmoor came straight from Ruger (replacement for an 7-08 American rifle that had a bad chamber) and it has a 22 inch barrel and is free floated with the exception of the first two inches of the barrel (breech end) and it shoots 1/2 to 3/4 inch with most everything put in it so far. I think some people may be having problems with their Ruger American magazines, so far mine hasn't had any problems.

Steve..........
    yeah everyone has issues with the magazine.

1. don't drop it, if you have 4 rounds loaded the top one pops out.
    2. if you have the magazine filled to capacity you CANT put it into the receiver if the bolt is CLOSED. **will cause damage to the tiny plastic magazine latch
    3. Pain to load the magazine

Banned
    Great deal on TC Compasses thru the 31st. $225 net of rebate.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by crankycalico View Post
    yeah everyone has issues with the magazine.

1. don't drop it, if you have 4 rounds loaded the top one pops out.
    2. if you have the magazine filled to capacity you CANT put it into the receiver if the bolt is CLOSED. **will cause damage to the tiny plastic magazine latch
    3. Pain to load the magazine
    Is this with the old style magazine or the AI-Style
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Banned
    If you go to the Ruger website, you would see the rifle's capacity (cept for 223) is FOUR. That means 1 in the chamber and 3 in the magazine. Just another example of RTFI.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 6.5 CM View Post
    If you go to the Ruger website, you would see the rifle's capacity (cept for 223) is FOUR. That means 1 in the chamber and 3 in the magazine. Just another example of RTFI.
    its a 4 round magazine. If you read the instructions, it insinuates that when you chamber a round from the magazine you can top the magazine off and put it back in.