Inline FabricationLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingWidenersRotoMetals2
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Coleman white gas stove and lantern

Boolit Master

Coleman white gas stove and lantern

Do you have either one and use it?
    I've been around them all my life (60 years). Dad had both and we used them all the time while camping. In 1980 when I got married my wife and I bought one of each. We have used the lantern quite a bit, but the stove I'd guess had only been used a dozen times in the last 38 years. I just about gave the stove away a few years ago, but the guy I was trying to give it to didn't seem too interested so it stayed in my garage. Last winter the power went out about the time we were cooking breakfast so I dug out the old Coleman and fired it up. I had forgotten they were a bit finicky to get going, but after they get lit and warmed up it worked great. I know I've used the stove more in the last year than it was used in the previous 37 years. I'm glad the guy I was trying to give the stove to was too busy looking the gift horse in the mouth to take it.

Vendor Sponsor

Yes I keep 2 coleman gas stoves just for power outages. Between it and the wood stove I can about cook anything when weather turns bad
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Master
    I have both the lantern gets used the most. when the electric goes out I cook on the wood stove in the living room. I think my stove needs a rebuild the o rings are in bad shape.

Moderator Emeritus

I'm a big fan of the coleman units, I have several Stoves and three lanterns. I rarely use a lantern, but have several uses for the Stoves. I have one stove that is dedicated to melt Lead and/or Wax. I have a large one for large pot cooking/canning, brewing beer, or whatever type of cooking that is better done outside of the house.

I use regular gasoline, it is soo much cheaper, and burns almost as good, but the regulator needs cleaning often, due to automotive gas additives.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master

Several of each here. My first lead melter was a large one burner Coleman. Use an old two burner regularly outside as per JonB above. Have a mountain place where Coleman is the light source unless I fire up the current bush. In fact I have my grandfather's Coleman lantern which dates to the 1920's.

A good source of information here: http://www.colemancollectorsforum.com/
    Take a kid along

Boolit Grand Master

Still have mine for some camping and emergency power outages. The propane stoves and lanterns are a lot easier and handier to use however.....
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Mine are clean and ready to go. When you said

Quote Originally Posted by jimlj View Post
    Last winter the power went out about the time we were cooking breakfast so I dug out the old Coleman and fired it up.
    it raised a red flag for me. In case anybody reads this and wants to use a gasoline stove or lantern for emergency purposes, be aware that they produce carbon monoxide (CO) and are not safe to use in enclosed spaces. People have died doing so.

Take care, Tom

Super Moderator

I have one white gas stove, and two lanterns. One of my lanterns is Forest Service marked from the 1960's I believe. I pretty much ruined my white gas stove by smelting lead on it, but it still works. I purchased another stove and one more lantern in propane. I still use the lanterns for camping and hunting each year. I agree with Larry, the propane versions are a bit easier to use.

I have both ,but use the stove more then the other. it was my parents stove and lantern.
    I like to ask on this is for the old gas stove. Can you use anything else beside white gas safely ?
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Quote Originally Posted by trapper9260 View Post
    Can you use anything else beside white gas safely ?
    Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    I use regular gasoline, it is soo much cheaper, and burns almost as good, but the regulator needs cleaning often, due to automotive gas additives.
    Apparently.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tatume View Post
    Mine are clean and ready to go. When you said

it raised a red flag for me. In case anybody reads this and wants to use a gasoline stove or lantern for emergency purposes, be aware that they produce carbon monoxide (CO) and are not safe to use in enclosed spaces. People have died doing so.

Take care, Tom
    No more than my gas kitchen stove ,I use mine all the time indoors / just not in a closet with the door shut !

Actually, gasoline stoves produce a lot more CO than a gas kitchen stove.

Boolit Master

I have two Coleman stoves. I wanted one, but they guy selling them had two when I met him and well... More is better right?

I agree that propane is easier to use, but those bottles don't last as long as they might, and you have to carry around the propane bottles, so I consider the gas stove to be better in the long run.

I think it is a testimony to good design that the Dual Fuel Coleman stoves are STILL for sale new, after all these years.

BDGR

Boolit Master
    I have long used regular unleaded in my stoves and lanterns, before unleaded, regular gas worked but would foul the generator faster. In the high country the stove fuel was difficult to start while unleaded burned much better. I have used a single burner Coleman to cast many bullets. When horse packing, the propane tanks add a lot of weight so the Coleman lanterns and stoves using the liquid fuel provide more run-time with much less weight.

Boolit Buddy
    Yes I have a couple of Lanterns and a stove as well. Have had them it seems forever.

Mater of fact the first latern I was given belonged to my Grandfather, it is labeled Sears.
    Dad rebuilt it about 35 years ago and I keep it in the machine shop for just those days the power goes out.

I fire it up once a year to check it out, it has never failed me.

JW

Boolit Grand Master

Lantern. Not sure how old but was my fathers. I used quite a bit and two summers cruising timber out west. I always keep it ready to go. Just remember to have extra mantles on hand and to change the fuel or store it empty. The red case with the flat base to set it in is a great help and a few packs of mantles sit between the base and bottom of the lantern.

Coleman stove is propane
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master
    have coleman stove and lantern that burn white gas (naptha) and coleman propane stove and lantern both work equally well one set lives in my boat and one set lives in my camping /hunting rig. Have had them over 30 years, now kinda like a timex watch, take a lickn and keep on tickin.

Boolit Master
    We stupidly let go of our 2 burner Coleman several years ago, but when we got the RV and sold the tent it mostly collected dust. I do still have my lantern but bad storage let it rust a little, so its set aside for a restoration project.

Used to love to hear the hiss of the generator as lit up the campsite and attracted every bug in the county... real camping.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by trapper9260 View Post
    I have both ,but use the stove more then the other. it was my parents stove and lantern.
    I like to ask on this is for the old gas stove. Can you use anything else beside white gas safely ?
    I use automotive gas, preferably not a Ethanol-gas mix, also preferably Non-Oxy Gas for off-hyway vehicles, as that has less additives then normal automotive gas. While I think it is just as "SAFE", you should be aware that the additives will carbon up the regulator, after several tanks full, the regulator should be cleaned. If you put off cleaning it too long, you loose the linear adjustable, it's becomes more of a ON - OFF type of thing, making it somewhat dangerous, in that you have less control of the flame.

One time, I put off the cleaning it, until the Regulator was stuck and I could not even disassemble it, to clean it. So i just removed it and installed a regulator I salvaged from another stove I had laying around. You can buy a new regulator for about $15-$20...But I find old beatup rusty stoves (to use for parts) for a buck or two at garage sales. One time, I found a vintage "brand new in the box" small Coleman stove at a garage sale for $12....I bet that mint vintage Cardboard box, with it's advertising on it, is worth more than $12?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master

I got a propane stove last summer at a yard sale because I found that my daughters gasoline stove was kind of balky and did not realize it was easy to clean the generator which is probably all it needed. We are going over to her house tomorrow and I will look at it.

You do need to bring a tiny funnel with you for the gasoline. That has been a problem in the past.
    Last edited by frkelly74; 12-18-2018 at 05:41 PM.
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast