Inline FabricationWidenersRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRepackbox
Snyders Jerky Lee Precision

Thread: 44mag to 44Russian case work for light load

44mag to 44Russian case work for light load

I seen other post on load light on 44 mag case to use 44 spl data. That is what I plan to work on . What I like to ask is would it be worth it to for going low for light loads below the 44 spl data to get 44 Russian cases and shoot as is with the data that is on it for cast boolit to be used in a 44mag gun. Hope I word this right. Why I ask is because of before I would look into buying the brass for the 44 Russian cases to load.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Grand Master

My experience with the shorter Russian cases in Magnum chambers is that any advantage gained in efficiency of the smaller case is negated by the long unsupported jump the bullet must make from case to throat. I never could get the same accuracy with the smaller case vs the larger magnum cases with the same velocity (same powder used) even though the internal ballistics of the smaller Russian case were better.

I do use 44 SPL cases with SPL loads in one of my older 44 magnums but use a TL430-240-SWC seated out so the front drive band just enters the throats. I prefer Bullseye and Red Dot for such SPL loads in SPL and Magnum cases.

The Russian case is popular in 44 SPL revolvers for CASS shooting but the accuracy requirements in that game are not high.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Thank you Larry for letting me know .I was hope that you would give your idea and do on it.So it looks I would be better with 44 spl case then for what you wrote. Just want to be clear for it all for what I understand .

I order some 44spl brass from Starline to do just what you stated Larry. Thank you again.

I did a test today on the use of 44spl in 44mag RH and like how it shoots I try one hand then the 2 hand and like how it came out for the test.I use 240 swc Lee and use the data for 44spl like Larry stated and extend the boolit out some for cut back on the jump. and for just test got 4" group with 4 shots and one outside at 20yards for just the test to see how it gose I like the out come. Thanks again Larry

Boolit Grand Master

Glad I could help.......Happy New Year........
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master

Sounds like you have your plan sorted out but thought I'd share my experience with the Lee 44 Russian dies. I read that most 44 mag die sets would not work with 44 Russian without grinding them down. Not wanting to grind down my 44 Mag dies, I ordered a set of Lee 44 Russian Dies. When I got them, the seating die was marked 44 Mag/SPL (though different than my older Lee 44 mag die) and would not apply a crimp to the 44 Russian case. I called Lee and they said this was correct, but my die may have been bored too deep. They said I could send it in and have it "precision ground". Instead, I put the base of the die on the belt sander for 5-10 seconds. They work fine now.
    I am enjoying the 44 Russian in my 44 mag. Easy extraction, easy on powder, more of them fit in my pocket. One of the biggest benefits is that it is easy to visually verify the small powder charge in the shorter case. I've just used them for plinking so far, but they seem plenty accurate for my purposes. I've been slowly upping the charge of Promo under the Lee 200 RNFP. The Starline Brass has yet to seal the chamber, as it is probably the same thickness as their 44 mag brass. It may take a charge slightly over Lyman's max charge, which is only 10,000 CUP, to get it to seal the chamber and clean up the burn. I've never had a crud ring problem with Promo/45-45-10 lube.

Happy New Years to you also Larry . Silvercreek Farmer thank you for you post also. After how Larry explain to me .That is why I went with 44spl. Also for the powders he said he use is what I have already so it all work for me.I just did not had the boolit he stated ,but adjust to what I do have and went with it. Now I just have to fine tune it now for what I feel will work for me now.